jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

jump_kowaiu (A11)

Kowai · 19 · 4512

Kowai

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
A11 timeee
Have been quite inactive. Reason for that is mostly my ideas didnt work out as expected. And no new one has appeared. I hope i can put out some more ideas later.
2 more levels left on c3. Then i can go into beta and fix the difficulty curve. Shoudn't be too much left to fix until release then.

changelog:
C2 level 3.
Changed level to be quite easier. Was a bit too long before.
C2 level 5.
Changed pipe a bit.
Various other changes i dont even remember.
Added 2 more levels. Last is in early testing phase. Might not even be possible atm. :^) (also noticed some missing teles etc. but cba fixing that now)

=============== Original post below. yep
Welp. So i decided to release my first mappi now. Worked on it for quite a while.
There are two versions since i made an alternative texture(first sleek then distorted). People have given me different opinions on it so imma upload both.

Map consist of 13 jumps in total. 6 on each course and 1 bonus. Pretty much all consist of wallpogo only.
I'm not too good with tiers and such but i think course 1 is ~T5 and course 2 T5-T6. All jumps are made to be quite challenging.

Since of A3 there is 14 jumps, 6 on each and 2 bonus.

So rev up those wallpogo engines.

Screenshots:
Sleek texture:
http://puu.sh/sKkZq/5fb22aa1b0.jpg 
http://puu.sh/sKl1P/33493e84c4.jpg
http://puu.sh/sKl27/c528345fac.jpg
http://puu.sh/sKl2w/1ba0ff1480.jpg
Distorted texture:
http://puu.sh/sKl3F/24959a4482.jpg
http://puu.sh/sKl41/f2deac6d84.jpg
http://puu.sh/sKl4v/ad46ef091f.jpg
http://puu.sh/sKl4T/4b37f81cd7.jpg

Download:
Distorted tex:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/81r7i3k1lczxr0r/jump_kowaiu_a11_dist_tex.rar?dl=0

Sleek tex:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbwybh2vgo65t81/jump_kowaiu_a11_nor_tex.rar?dl=0

A10 (old stable version)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2kme8hisni93e7/jump_kowaiu_a10_dist_tex.7z?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7c88lmk1xm28hhp/jump_kowaiu_a10_nor_tex.7z?dl=0

Feedback for glitches, opinions, level changes etc are much appreciated.

Special thanks to PeatEar for teaching me Hammer, RainForce, Zekk and Scotch for testing my map and giving feedback. All of course all you other scrubs here on jump.tf for your feedback. All is much appreciated.

(props and textures done by me. I didn't make any of the artwork used here. Credits goes to them.)
Enjoy.

Known issues:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Changelog:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:32:48 PM by Kowai »

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
You should just pick one version and roll with that, no point updating two maps just because of a slight difference in colour. With that said, the textures are very nice overall, and I prefer the washed out textures of the sleek version.

The jumps are unique, but are very convoluted straight from the beginning. It is generally not a good sign when you need to memorise a jump by noclipping around it, but that is more a product of long wallpogo jumps than bad map design.

On to the actual jumps..

The beginning of the first jump is a little confusing, I have no idea whether this is intended or if its a bounce or you are meant to shoot/jump up to the wall like in any attached c1 TT. Might be an idea to add some helpful game_text or clarify with texturing.

The second jump is actually quite fun, but suffers mainly from sudden syncs. I think it would be a swell idea to add in some text on the ground where you are meant to sync or on a wall where the player may be looking to indicate what to do. Something along the lines of x2, x3, x4, x5 for double, triple, quad, quint respectively. The first sync of the second jump is a little confusing at first, I did it by syncing straight back up then wallshotting to the other side, if that is intended consider blocking off the underneath part, as it is a little misleading and baits you into trying to sync up the other side. I think you could just keep the bit on the left to reset the jump and block everything else off.
Very sudden quad/quint. Text would be helpful on the wall in front. Also consider adding some more lighting to illuminate the glass platform, might help with jump cohesion just a tad.

Jump 5 could do with some texture clarification, maybe add in some texturing to clarify that you need to switch walls, BEFORE the shootable wall gets to the corner so you don't try to preemptively corner pogo. But this isn't too big of a deal, as the texturing is consistent and it's quite obvious if you need to switch walls or not.

Last of C1 is very nice.

C2 is extremely difficult, and a few of the jumps are quite frustrating.

First jump of C2 you can stand on the middle divider and skip the second part entirely.
Looks like the tele needs to be moved up a unit as it is just inside of the block.

The second jump is more suited for a bonus, it just takes ages for it to reset, a solution could be to have multiple copies of the jump on different timers.

I'm going to predict the strat for the 3rd jump will be to wallbug all the way down the bottom, that's one heck of a jump.

Probably not a good idea to have a pit of death on the 5th jump, also its quite easily cheatable with some handy console commands
Just pogo in between the playerclip

Last... I don't really know what to say.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:07:12 AM by scotch »

Kowai

• View Profile
Ooohho. Thank you for your feedback Scotch. I didnt have time to test everything so thats nice. I will get down to fixing. Wall of text inc:

Game hints i gotcha, i will add them to the places i can later. See if i can be constructive without breaking the env fullness too.

First jump is meant to bounce up. Normal jump->bounce(powerbounce) and then wallpogo your way up. The edge there i left in case someone wanted to look up and see. I might add some glass instead now that you say it so one can see how the jump goes. This was also the first jump i made ever in hammer so its quite a big mess too.

Second jump might indeed be a good idea to add what to do. I first meant to make the first sync like you said but i thought it'd be fun for a player to make up for a failed catch by a bounce sync. If thats even possible. But i will remove it. You are right it confuses player too much. It also need purple on the wall to be consistent (wallswitch)

At jump 5 i getcha. Most people will probably think its a corner pogo there. But i'd like to keep it in such a way that purple indicate something special like you have to switch wall or if its on the ground its a bounce. If it was a corner pogo id let it be white.

Okey so to C2.

This map was made for me to test my wallpogo skills to the limit and do some interesting unique jumps ontop of that. So c2 in general is indeed very difficult. Could make it a lot easier and split the jumps into two parts but it would kinda defeat the point. The second map i will make will have more easy and funzies jumps.

I made some last moment changes on the first jump of C2 and thats why the tele is in a bad place. Thanks for pointing that out!

Second jump is indeed more bonus material. But i cant make another level to make up for the space lost to make 6 levels each, since im at 97% model fullness. Any more and my game crashes (literally). So another copy of the jump is also not possible, sadly. Unless you know of a good way to fix my model count.

The strat of the third jump is just wallpogo down and up. With great timing and accuracy. Every 0.8 sec the wall switches. Which is exacly the amount of time between rockets. You cant let go of the mouse even once if you wanna make it. You also need to start firing at correct timing. More gametext needed!

Aw that pit of death was so funzies to design. Will it be ok just to delete the damage of the lazer? Also the way its done its the only way i could think of of doing that kind of jump. Not sure how to protect it if there is some commands to fug it up. Maybe remove playerclip and make it a full wall. With nogrenade at right spots instead?

And at the last level, the more times it activates the more it shakes. So to get some nice effect its activated lots of times. You know, when there is a red button you push it. If nothing happens you just press it more times :^)

edit: about the texture. half of my friends say distorted is good. Half say sleek is good. So im a bit undecided for now tbh.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:32:33 AM by Kowai »

fishy

coin flip the texture honestly i like them both a lot

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile
this map is fucking amazing!

Dude, the creativity is off the charts with so many jumps. It's also waaay to hard for me lol
Keep this shit up my man! (And maybe make a normal map next ^.^)
The Rat Master

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
You played tetris a lot didn't you??

Paging Boshy btw

F weebs as well

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
Aw that pit of death was so funzies to design. Will it be ok just to delete the damage of the lazer? Also the way its done its the only way i could think of of doing that kind of jump. Not sure how to protect it if there is some commands to fug it up. Maybe remove playerclip and make it a full wall. With nogrenade at right spots instead?
I think you could do it a few different ways, use nogrenades paired with the invisible tool texture or nodraw. The laser is fine honestly, the damage can be filtered out with server side plugins so it isn't a big deal really.

879m

• Proficient
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
Second jump is indeed more bonus material. But i cant make another level to make up for the space lost to make 6 levels each, since im at 97% model fullness. Any more and my game crashes (literally). So another copy of the jump is also not possible, sadly. Unless you know of a good way to fix my model count.

How did you use 97% of the model limit in 13 jumps? I'm guessing you used props as walls or parts of the levels. Looking through it, there shouldn't be anything that needs to use this many models. You should easily be able to decrease this by changing props into normal brushes if this is the case.

Kowai

• View Profile
coin flip the texture honestly i like them both a lot

Still very undecided about this. Might add a poll and let the community decide.

this map is fucking amazing!

Dude, the creativity is off the charts with so many jumps. It's also waaay to hard for me lol
Keep this shit up my man! (And maybe make a normal map next ^.^)

Thanks a lot! My next map will be a lot easier. It will mainly focus on props import and making. Since i'm currently teaching myself autocad maya and 3ds max. The levels itself will focus on teaching wallpogo in a fun way.

You played tetris a lot didn't you??

Paging Boshy btw

F weebs as well

Hahaha. Didn't play tetris that much. Also by boshy you mean I wanna be the boshy? Had to google it tbh. I did play I wanna be the guy tho. Fun game.

I think you could do it a few different ways, use nogrenades paired with the invisible tool texture or nodraw. The laser is fine honestly, the damage can be filtered out with server side plugins so it isn't a big deal really.

I did it by bulletblock texture. I was messing around this morning and found out both about invisible tex and bulletblock. I found bulletblock way better so i went with it. I hope the level is ok now. Removed the laser killer damage. Still damage like 10 hp at a certain spot.

How did you use 97% of the model limit in 13 jumps? I'm guessing you used props as walls or parts of the levels. Looking through it, there shouldn't be anything that needs to use this many models. You should easily be able to decrease this by changing props into normal brushes if this is the case.

You tell me mate. I have zero idea. The only prop i used was the :^) smiley at the end. Rest is just brushes and textures. I did delete some nogrenades and managed to optimize some levels to get the count down a bit, however.

Updated the map to alpha 2.

Changelog:
(almost)All levels: Added jump hints.
c1 level 1. Completly reworked level 1. Added overwatch(not the game) so no noclip around needed.
c1 level 2. Removed second pit after first sync. Added numbers for sync amount (2=double etc). Changed glass type at quad sync.
c1 level 1. Fixed teleport
c2 level 5. Fixed playerclip and changed walltype. Removed death rays.

Download:
Dist tex
https://www.dropbox.com/s/88ch8p4nh0qxmuh/jump_kowaiu_a2_dist_tex.7z?dl=0
Sleek
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm10pz9g4vjm920/jump_kowaiu_a2_nor_tex.7z?dl=0

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile

879m

• Proficient
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
c1 lvl 5: you can hit your head at the top of the wallpogo square on the wall, even when it's not there. So if you are wallpogoing on the wall and go a bit too high you hit your head and fail.

I decompiled and had a look around to see if I could find the cause of your high model count, but I didn't find anything. Keep in mind decompiling creates a lot of errors in the vmf so it may have left out something important. There were two things I did notice, likely unrelated. You don't need to change these but they irked me. On c1 lvl 3 the nogrenade and walls are made from far more brushes than needed. On c2 lvl 2 the nogrenade for the centre part of each spinning bit is a sphere when it could be a cylinder.

Kowai

• View Profile
Boshy = wallpogo god

Oh lol my bad. But it would be nice to have someone test out most of C2. Because i made it very difficult even for myself and i don't have that much time to be determinated at the moment.

c1 lvl 5: you can hit your head at the top of the wallpogo square on the wall, even when it's not there. So if you are wallpogoing on the wall and go a bit too high you hit your head and fail.

I decompiled and had a look around to see if I could find the cause of your high model count, but I didn't find anything. Keep in mind decompiling creates a lot of errors in the vmf so it may have left out something important. There were two things I did notice, likely unrelated. You don't need to change these but they irked me. On c1 lvl 3 the nogrenade and walls are made from far more brushes than needed. On c2 lvl 2 the nogrenade for the centre part of each spinning bit is a sphere when it could be a cylinder.

Thanks! When i first started hammer i had no idea about optimizations and stuff so most levels were quite badly made. Didn't start fixing the nogrenade until i hit the 98% model fullness and game started to crash. At the moment i just run around fixing stuff as i see it. I also noticed i can abuse the overlay to create two textures on a single brush. With that i can reduce the count quite well too. Even if its limited to 512 overlays per map.

The C1 Level 5 is a special issue. The way func_brushes(or any other brush entities) interact with normal brushes is weird. A small gap is made(not shown in hammer) which causes one to hit either the brush above or/and make the brush below walkable. I have to manually test out small small changes on each brush so both issues above doesn't happen. I could of course add a playclip but i absolutly hate it. Makes wallpogo "less powerful" and is prone to wallglitches. I will check the whole level again and see if i can make it better. Thanks for your report!  ;D

Kowai

• View Profile
Alpha 4 is up. Check main post
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:36:33 PM by Kowai »

Dr Gains

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
This map is hot!
Could only do a couple jumps on this, would love to see a video with someone doing 1-4 and 2-3
Spawn was really dark for me, my brightness is always maxed.
1-5 seems to have a really long reset time if you fail early
2-2 moving block cuts through end face, not the biggest deal
2-cap could use tele to spawn
Both bonuses could also use tele at start
Liked sleek better, both courses seem t6 imo, but maybe Im just bad :l

Kowai

• View Profile
This map is hot!
Could only do a couple jumps on this, would love to see a video with someone doing 1-4 and 2-3
Spawn was really dark for me, my brightness is always maxed.
1-5 seems to have a really long reset time if you fail early
2-2 moving block cuts through end face, not the biggest deal
2-cap could use tele to spawn
Both bonuses could also use tele at start
Liked sleek better, both courses seem t6 imo, but maybe Im just bad :l

Thanks gains! Here is the video on 1.4, 2.3 is bs hard so that will take me quite a long time to pull off.

At spawn. Ye i was reported this by my mates. On my screen it looks fine so eh, guess ill put some extra lights there later.
Course 1 level 5 sadly has long fail timer i know. I havn't figured out a way to make it shorter and still have no way to cheat the map. I will see later if i can figure something clever out.
Course 2 level 2. Yah i know. I havnt done anything fancy to the level yet since its still alpha. Will make it much more fancy later :^)

I didnt add tele to spawn yet since i managed to do 97% model fullness before. Its fixed now and i'm basically just very lazy. I'll add them for A7!

And its like RainForce commented on my map. "You made this map specifically to torture people, didn't you?" So it might be T6. I'm shit at everything except wallpogo and course 2 is made to be very very hard even for me. So don't worry about not making levels haha.