jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Texture Glitches

tyjle · 31 · 5685

tyjle

• Advanced
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Gorge004 had the same texture glitch and iirc it is cylindrical pillars that mess stuff up
well at least they did in his case
... I have cylyndrical pillars in my map ...

Ima check this

?oss

1) vvis literally takes days to run optimize map using Map -> load portal file and making everything that seems to be creating a lot of blue lines a func_detail or whatever specifically your rings and ramps NEED to be func_detailed because otherwise it takes 5000000 years to even compile your map normally
It's taking me more than 20 minutes to compile this map so fix those optimization problems first and then check if the problems are still there. It's likely that this might fix it.

tbh assuming the map is going to be open spaced like it is right now you might just use func_viscluster

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Yeah, it will be open spaced in the end. What is func_viscluster and how do i use it?

?oss

Yeah, it will be open spaced in the end. What is func_viscluster and how do i use it?

covering an area with func_viscluster tells vvis that everything in the area can see everything so vvis doesnt do any calculations in that area

this is how you use it 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Well if it's just going to be 1 box you may as well just not run vvis at all.

?oss

true true
although you have to run vvis if ure planing to have visible water and stuff
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:04:42 PM by тoss »

protist ?

• Novice
  • *floats around aimlessly*
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (3097.7 -806.9 3726.6)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Leaf 1 contents:
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 39839:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (3097.7 -807.3 3726.2)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 39839:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (3170.6 -3052.7 3716.6)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 39761:

Anyone know how to fix these types of errors? I notice them a lot on complex geometry like surf ramps.

Supposedly this is an areaportal problem which means vbsp is having a hard time interpreting the geometry around that point. Usually you can remedy this by converting the brushes to func_detail, however, this isn't possible when converting to props using propper which seems to fuck up compilation.

Any fixes other than making the geometry simpler?

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Anything other help with this? Was looking forward to releasing this map but I guess I might not be able to.

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
Was looking forward to releasing this map but I guess I might not be able to.

If you want to get the map done for others to play, just remove the glitchy part OR build it completely differently and with another texture. It's obviously not a fix but when I have such problems on something that IS NOT part of a jump, I just re-create it differently until there aren't any problems left.

(if the problem appears in the whole map, RIP, I have never seen that before)

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Was looking forward to releasing this map but I guess I might not be able to.

If you want to get the map done for others to play, just remove the glitchy part OR build it completely differently and with another texture. It's obviously not a fix but when I have such problems on something that IS NOT part of a jump, I just re-create it differently until there aren't any problems left.

(if the problem appears in the whole map, RIP, I have never seen that before)
yeah it's pretty much everywhere

and I have no clue where the  source of the glitchyness is

maybe I'll remake it later if I feel like it I guess

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
Try to change the skybox, check if any brush is out of the grid (except entities, those don't matter)... Idk, just try stuff and see if anything makes the problem evolve (even if it gets worse, atleast you can see what does a change to it).

Anyway, good luck with that :)

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
lmao can't even open the file anymore

I love hammer

feel free to lock this thread I guess, no real solution has been found unfortunately

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile

Gorge004

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Yea I had same thing happened to me, turns out having like more than 40 32-sides cylinder in the same jump is not a good idea. I deleted them and everything went back to normal. Than I just made simpler pillars and less stuff.

I also had cylinder trigger wich I learned isnt good either (:

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Yea I had same thing happened to me, turns out having like more than 40 32-sides cylinder in the same jump is not a good idea. I deleted them and everything went back to normal. Than I just made simpler pillars and less stuff.

I also had cylinder trigger wich I learned isnt good either (:
I honestly figured it was that, but didn't bother changing it. Lesson learned.