jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Detail Maps vs Dev Texture Maps

Penguin · 16 · 2578

Penguin

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I was curious to see what kind of maps people preferred visually: Those that are detailed completely, including textures, those that only use dev textures and have no details at all (but still actually look nice), or those that use dev textures but have some amount of detailing, such as jump_apex.

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
Full detail or semi detail

This ^

Fullbright maps are the worst proof of laziness tbh. I don't like dev textures because they could just be replaced with tiles and it would look so much better. Tiles are fine, I like tiles (when you can actually see the lines... *cough* yona *cough*).
But overly-detailing maps isn't a good thing either (jump_blossom is the best example).

Oatmeal

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Good Detailing > Pretty Dev > Wood texture spam > Ugly Dev > Ugly detailing > Fullbright metal textures

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile
Good Detailing > Pretty Dev > Wood texture spam > Ugly Dev > Ugly detailing > Fullbright metal textures
The Rat Master

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
Dev/low detail is fine as long as you create some sort of depth perception with your texturing.

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Minions Textures > Good Detailing > Pretty Dev > Wood texture spam > Ugly Dev > Ugly detailing > Fullbright metal textures

ftfy

Though seriously there is no excuse not to replace dev texts with a similar 128^2 tile texture if you want a similar feel, it will instantly make any map stand out from the 1000s of dev textured ones and avoids all the ugly writing on the blocks. If you even super duper really like dev ones I did make a modified one a while ago which just removes the visible text on the dev textures; which I'm happy to upload.

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile
Minions Textures > Good Detailing > Pretty Dev > Wood texture spam > Ugly Dev > Ugly detailing > Fullbright metal textures

ftfy

Though seriously there is no excuse not to replace dev texts with a similar 128^2 tile texture if you want a similar feel, it will instantly make any map stand out from the 1000s of dev textured ones and avoids all the ugly writing on the blocks. If you even super duper really like dev ones I did make a modified one a while ago which just removes the visible text on the dev textures; which I'm happy to upload.
gimme kthx
The Rat Master

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
jump_heaven is the only good looking map tbh
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

879m

• Proficient
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
Textures can be whatever you like as long as they give you some sense of distance, speed and depth. Of course your map will be nicer if it isn't dev textures, but as long as you have those 3 things it's all preference. Sometimes nice textures don't give those things, namely matte textures (see jump_why for an example of a nice looking map that is garbage to play)

Boshy

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

Sere

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
A little detail on egypt-style maps looks really good, very easy to make an okay-ish to good looking map with less effort than other styles.

Over looks way better than quba despite the fact that both have very little detailing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:02:00 AM by Sere »
"Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile