jump_nutto RC2 (T2-T3)

donuttt · 14 · 3239

donuttt

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • hehe
    • View Profile
HeyGuys
the recent 72 Hour contest got me watching some mapping streams, making jump maps seems to be way more fun and also easier than making actual gameplay maps, so i gave it a shot.

Nutto is a soldier map and supposed to be doable for people that just learned most of the basics, with a focus on easily doable sr strats. Its has 11 jumps + one bonus. I found that a lot of sr focused maps are easy to do, but pulling off the big strats is not easy for everyone. Basically, I wanted to make a map that lets even newbies zoom through it in a hand full of jumps if they manage to connect all the strats.

The map is now finished as in, I don't want to work on it anymore, and I also can't as in the near future, I'll be busy doing other things. If you want to put this map on your servers, feel free to do so.

Map download: https://mega.nz/#!hgwCmIBC!6_c_k9kF6PM4v6yojZyk9uI6_rp7oFhlWPJFGF8WTrU

Progress log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks to everyone who tested the map and gave me feedback on here, on steam or on stream :)

donuttt
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:28:44 AM by donuttt »

• Intermediate
  • bind space hud_reloadscheme
    • View Profile
    • CFG.TF
Very good for a first map. I love the jumps, almost fine spacing and enjoyable to play too. But it is extremely unfinished.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lights are fine most of the time, just add a bit of them in dark places. I understand that this is an early stage map, keep on making it better! Just try to keep regen triggers nice and tidy and keep textures consistent so players will know where to shoot.

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
Thanks! Yeah I'm probably a little too careful with the regen + hurtme triggers, i only recently learned that triggers and brushes overlapping each other is OK  :)

fishy

game design 101: making player guess through trial and error is bad. texture clarity is key! color code what we can and cant shoot pls ty <3

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
Did most of the things you guys suggested.  :-*

False_

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile
Downloading the map right now, I'm expecting donuts in the map ;)

Okay here's some things I've found:
  • You should put hurtme and func_regenerate over all parts of the map, parts of the beginning and connectors don't seem to have regen throughout and it'll become annoying for people speedrunning
  • Some lights are really close to world brushes, which create some unsightly saturated spots
  • On the ss to ramp to wallclimb jump, you can shoot the sides of the red slide and get to the wall. Small cheat
  • I would either embed the wallshot walls into the main wall, or have playerclips so that you can't hit the sides of the wallshot walls
  • Skips should have a different colour, not just a slight shade difference since that's fairly hard to notice
  • Lighting on the jump with a bunch of V ramps and then strafe between a bunch of narrow brushes could use some work, the second set of vertical walls' sides are completely black so I didn't know if I could shoot them or not
  • For second last, it feels pretty awkward starting out because the starting platform is raised and not right at the edge. I tended to walk off the raised platform and just start on the ground
  • Also, what's up with the little secret room on second last? Unfinished?
  • Last is a really neat concept, I like the idea of a bunch of suspended platforms that you have to jurf on. I would suggest putting a higher up teleport on the second half of last so you spend less time falling down to reset. Also, pretty easy to cheese it by just standing on top of the jurf platforms just doing normal rockets from one to the other. Maybe add a larger gap at the end so you actually need to build up speed from jurfing to complete

Overall, levels play pretty well and tie in very nicely with each other. Second last is definitely the hardest unless you cheese it with a climb, sync, and then wallshot. Short and sweet, but some things to work on. Also, I would recommend trying out some clean dev textures without the gross "reflectivity X%" text, if you have the time to learn it, and it's not at all hard to implement. Keep up the mapping ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:00:53 PM by False_ »

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
Thanks!
Second last is supposed to be a tele sync, i guess i'll have to write it somewhere :D Good idea with the gap on the last jump, will definetly do that.
The little secret area will have a bonus in it, still gotta make that, completely forgot about it :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:47:24 PM by donuttt »

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
The map has seen a few improvements recently, sorry for the double post but i think barely anyone would look at this otherwise :D

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
RC1. Won't make any major changes except when really, really, nessecary for whatever reason from this point. Enjoy playing :)

haha gotcha idiot hehe
RC2 is here

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:06:52 AM by donuttt »

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
RC2 is now out, improved regen further and also made a couple adjustments to make cheesing some jumps harder

False_

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile
People don't like it when you have wallshot blocks that jut out of the main walls, so you can hit the sides. I would put your health regen everywhere, no point in not having it in some spots and there are some spots where I got a bit scared I'd die lol. Also, I think something in your bonus is fucky, seems like your map is leaking somewhere. Good aesthetic improvement overall!

Also just fly through the map, some of the brushwork isn't clean.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:13:11 PM by False_ »

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
yeah, there's some super wonky leak thats got to do with one of the teleports, but honestly at this stage i wont put any more work into this, especially now that it got denied to be put on tempus rather bacause of it's length and some of the jump's spacings and not because of sloppy brush work and leaks. fixing everything that is wrong at this stage would be a waste of time. it was my first map ever so there's a loooooot of shit that is just bad. thanks for the feedback though. next map is coming

oh and the wallshot thing... first of all i don't know how to use playerclip yet (yeah i know, gotta learn that) but i think you might as well just do the jump properly, lol. i mean, if people get stuck there, it's their own fault because they didn't strafe properly and that's a problem which they have to fix if they want to be a decent jumper
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:04:12 AM by donuttt »