Author Topic: jump_caelum  (Read 546 times)

MrHappyCamper

• View Profile
jump_caelum
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:29:27 AM »

Jump_Caelum
T5/T6 for both soldier and demoman.
Linear pogo/wallpogo/airpogo map that must be completed in one jump.
1 course, 1 practice course (bonus), and 1 bonus.
Download:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:45:45 PM by MrHappyCamper »

879m

• Professional Jumper
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
Re: jump_caelum
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 03:40:50 AM »
tele is bugged here
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as for the map, it started out fun for demo but its all long double catches :( also a bit confusing as to where you can go without doing the practice course first, which i didnt notice until after. i dont see any harm in keeping the 'demo ^' bit for the actual course too. i didnt bother as soldier, but the bit at the bottom of the picture looks pretty boring

the map shouldnt be such a large file size either, you can increase the lightmap scale a bunch to reduce lighting data and it'll look almost identical. you might also want to consider putting the practice course on the actual map. you could do this by filtering for players that have been named after going through the practice door, then they can practice the map without teles.

MrHappyCamper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 04:32:34 AM »
tele is bugged here
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as for the map, it started out fun for demo but its all long double catches :( also a bit confusing as to where you can go without doing the practice course first, which i didnt notice until after. i dont see any harm in keeping the 'demo ^' bit for the actual course too. i didnt bother as soldier, but the bit at the bottom of the picture looks pretty boring

the map shouldnt be such a large file size either, you can increase the lightmap scale a bunch to reduce lighting data and it'll look almost identical. you might also want to consider putting the practice course on the actual map. you could do this by filtering for players that have been named after going through the practice door, then they can practice the map without teles.

Thank you for the response! I'm not sure what you mean when you say that tele is bugged, if you mean the 2 trigger boxes that come out of the sides, those stand on top of a playerclip wall to make the demo go up.

Sadly, I'm ok with the map being boring so I don't want to change any of the jumps.

As for the file size, the map itself is 32MB, the skybox is 140MB (It's hdr, the first time I tried making it, it was a GB), and other custom files are 20MB. It is a bit big, but there are other maps that are bigger, so if I can I would like to leave it.

Your player filter is an excellent idea, but it sounds a bit messy and I would like to stay simple.

Zike

• Intermediate Jumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 09:28:53 PM »
The demo course is just not fun. You could've made the soldier course and just not put any thought into a separate demo thing and this map would be 10x better for demo. The current demo part is just airpogoing with opportunities to double catch when you fail. If I really wanted to airpogo in straight lines while staring at a skybox being unable to tell my speed I could play sync or something. It doesn't help that it's quite confusing as to where you can actually pogo in some spots. For instance, at the end where I couldn't even tell that demos can use the last two strips until I used showtriggers and how there's normal looking wall that stickies just go right through.

MrHappyCamper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 10:04:40 PM »
The demo course is just not fun. You could've made the soldier course and just not put any thought into a separate demo thing and this map would be 10x better for demo. The current demo part is just airpogoing with opportunities to double catch when you fail. If I really wanted to airpogo in straight lines while staring at a skybox being unable to tell my speed I could play sync or something. It doesn't help that it's quite confusing as to where you can actually pogo in some spots. For instance, at the end where I couldn't even tell that demos can use the last two strips until I used showtriggers and how there's normal looking wall that stickies just go right through.
Dang I knew this map wouldn't be popular but I didn't think it would be this bad. I played through the practice course as demo and liked it. And I wont accept that the map is confusing, the demoman specific platforms are all given the same texture which is different from everything else.

The map isn't supposed to be fun, but for you I am willing to remove the demoman specific teles so that demo can use both the soldier path and also the demo path. And I will make the walls at the end solid (I changed my mind on this, they are intended to be only visual). I would like to just leave the practice course the same because you can just double/triple pre everything anyways. I will change the teleports on the practice course but it will be weird afterwords. Please don't hate me zike :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:15:41 PM by MrHappyCamper »

John

• video games
  • Administrator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 04:27:58 AM »
how is this map 204mb

edit: how is the skybox 140mb

MrHappyCamper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »
how is this map 204mb

edit: how is the skybox 140mb
Basically, I started out with a standard 2048x2048 skybox, which is already large compared to most skyboxes but I wanted it to be high res enough. Then I followed this tutorial https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/HDR_Skybox_Creation . In the end the files that take up all the space are the vtf files that are made from the portable float maps (.pfm) (basically special types of images). I used high compression when making them so idk if it can get any smaller.

MrHappyCamper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:30:25 PM »
Map download updated to final version (hopefully) of the map.
Changes from b1:
-demoman can now use the soldier course as well
-invisible wall that the demo once had to get over is gone
-in the practice course, demo's teles are below the soldier course, so if demo lands on soldier stuff, he will use soldiers teles, but if he falls below, he will use demo's teles
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:33:10 PM by MrHappyCamper »