jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Airstrafing post inferno update

qzc · 12 · 3418

qzc

• Novice
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
After the release of the inferno update, there has been a rumor that all classes have increased air control. If there was increased air control, we would be able to go faster due to tighter airstrafing. Since I have random tf2 backups I decided to try and make an experiment to see if there was any difference in air control pre and post inferno update.

So what I did was I loaded up jump_trix and set "sv_gravity 0" and "cl_yawspeed 180".
Then, I teleported to "setpos -1451.302734 -2182.168945 2784.101074;setang 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000" and did "+moveleft; +left" to start airstrafing in a circle.
I then waited for velocity to even out and arbitrarily picked low and high values from what I saw in showpos.
I did this as scout and as soldier. For soldier, I shot a rocket at the ground while noclipped above it to get the air control bonus from the mantreads.
This was done on the current tf2 client and on one from before the gun mettle update.

Top speed (u/s) post inferno update:
   Scout: ~1105-1109
   Soldier w/ shotty: ~675-691
   Soldier w/ treads: ~623-741
   Soldier w/ shotty airaccel 30: ~1130+

Top speed (u/s) pre inferno update:
   Scout: ~1107-1109
   Soldier w/ shotty: ~675-695
   Soldier w/ treads: ~671-695

Unless there's a flaw in my experiment, I'm pretty sure that airstrafing is still the same as before. The people who are saying that airstrafing is different are just experiencing a placebo just like the time when people said that speedshotting was faster/easier after the gun mettle update.

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +5/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
I was told about it before I tried it out myself, so placebo is very likely. But the supposed change was not to acceleration but to control, which should be noticable at higher speeds. So no increase in speed but a greater ability to maintain speed while turning is my understanding of the change. A lot of what people have been saying about it is pure conjecture so its nice to have some actual testing being done

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
so what does this all even mean? is there really even a noticable difference to them or was valve just fuckin with us by throwing some 200% number in there so people would start equipping the mantreads again?
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

qzc

• Novice
    • View Profile
so what does this all even mean? is there really even a noticable difference to them or was valve just fuckin with us by throwing some 200% number in there so people would start equipping the mantreads again?

There is a noticeable difference with the mantreads equipped, but +200% air control is not the same as +200% air accel (30aa). Sitting in 0 gravity and pressing a direction with mantreads will make you go 90u/s instead of 30u/s.

I was told about it before I tried it out myself, so placebo is very likely. But the supposed change was not to acceleration but to control, which should be noticable at higher speeds. So no increase in speed but a greater ability to maintain speed while turning is my understanding of the change. A lot of what people have been saying about it is pure conjecture so its nice to have some actual testing being done

I guess that would mean that you could take the same turn at a higher speed, or make a tighter turn at the same speed. Unless you mean there's less deceleration when you try to turn too fast.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:32:57 AM by qzc »

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
so holding a D key just makes you travel further faster? kinda like being hit with the whip in the air or something?

Syphilis

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

I guess that would mean that you could take the same turn at a higher speed, or make a tighter turn at the same speed. Unless you mean there's less deceleration when you try to turn too fast.
can you test this as well?

qzc

• Novice
    • View Profile
So I repeated the above experiment, but this time I created top down views of the paths taken to see if I was turning more sharply while traveling at the same velocity.

The starting point is at the center of the spiral and it goes outwards.
https://imgur.com/a/UNiG6

Unfortunately, source engine isn't very precise so you'll always get a different result.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
so what does this mean qzc, its the same as before and source is just too inconsistent to fully test it?

qzc

• Novice
    • View Profile
so what does this mean qzc, its the same as before and source is just too inconsistent to fully test it?

It's probably the same or at the very least it feels the same to me. If I tested it more times we could probably get a better idea, but the way I'm doing it now is just too tedious.

Syphilis

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
qzc can you link me your backups? I want to test stuff.

qzc

• Novice
    • View Profile
qzc can you link me your backups? I want to test stuff.

Here's the latest backup I have from before the inferno update.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-xCw6GxLz8rDhhhv9LuHLnMtmDXOn9Fp/view?usp=sharing
It might be worth posting this on tf.tv too. I noticed some people talking about broken demos.