jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

jump_bear

HOI · 29 · 3653

HOI

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
64 jumps, 3 courses and 3 bonuses. The colours are vaguely christmassy.
2 of the bonuses aren't made yet.
Course 3 has only been tested by me so I anticipate it needing some fixing.
Feedback appreciated! c:
https://tf2maps.net/downloads/jump_bear.5570/ https://gamebanana.com/maps/198074

Gorge004

• Proficient
    • View Profile
jump 34 - Idk if you intended it to be like that, but strafing instead of shooting that wall is a lot easier

jump 40 (c2 last) - maybe outline the plats with a different texture so its easier to see where it ends while speedpogoing, maybe im blind but it was hard for me to see where it ended while going fast.

jump 55 (the upward triple) - spacing is bad if you get a very good triple, you reach the antigrav too fast and cant prefire 2 rockets well enough to triple upward. And if you get a bad triple you can quad upward, so getting bad triple is better wich is dumb. you should move up the antigrav trigger, not sure where it is atm, but i would say around 3000-3100 units should be good i think.

jump 58 (triple bounce) - holy shit thats high. i got A LOT of triple bounce and best i got was like 400 units off the end. is there a timing? and did you check to make sure that height wasnt a bhop height too cause that would make it way easier. Also you can cheat it by just wallshoting/pogoing at the start and strafe to the end.

map is cool tho, spacing seem good, tho the difficulty curve is a bit weird; 58 is insane while last is just a quint and 59 isnt that hard either.

MrHappyCamper

Awesome map, looks very nice and clean, everything is easy to see and fun to jump on. I really like the travel system after each course. Where is jump 64?

There are some parts where the difficulty scaling is weird, like how course 3 goes from a basic sync to 2-wall downpogo, idk about anyone else but I could sync long before I could 2-wall. And I thought jump 53 was easier than 48, both of them being quite similar. There are many small cases where I don't agree with the order but each jumper is different so whatever you think is right, is right.

The first and second courses are very friendly to beginners and have basic yet interesting jumps. The third course however is not the same, I don't think it is as original or fun. The jumps where you have to do multiple syncs, triples, and the last two sync jumps show this (I don't like sync jumps :/ ).

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
showtriggers_toggle crashes my game on this map

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
This map could do with some optimisation...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you managed to use only 1 func_regenerate I'm curious why you have 343 trigger_hurts. Trigger_hurt is mostly obsolete nowadays and you shouldnt ever really exceed the number of func_regens you have. I would delete ALL of them and duplicate the func_regen and turn it into a single trigger_hurt, this should suffice.

Also need to add some text saying how to start the first bounce jump, on whichever number that is, unless I missed it you have to guess as to what it is, walk, jump etc.

HOI

• View Profile
On jump 34 strafing was the only way originally but someone asked for the wall to be a added since otherwise it felt like players were 'punished for doing the jump too well'.

You're absoslutely right about 48 being harder than 53. I would have just swapped the jumps but then course 3 would intersect one of the other courses so instead I made the pogo gap on 53 a bit bigger and the pogo platform a bit smaller, and now it should better fit the difficulty curve.

Moved push trigger a little for upwards triple, dont want to move it too much as I like the end spacing and dont want to require the first triple to be pretty much perfect.

I didn't notice the bounce triple being too high but I'll change it if others report the same issue.

Although last is just a quint I tried to make it a difficult quint with a wallshot at the end, if that hasn't worked then I can raise the final platform a little.

I said 64 jumps because that's counting the super easy jump 0 at the start of course 1. Originally course 1 was missing jump 9 and I decided to add jump 9 and reduce the number next to each of the previous jumps by 1. For timing and /level I'd like jump 0 to be ignored.

The short downpogo is generally harder the double for sure but I think it makes most sense to put it there than to put it after the four doubles, and it's current spot allows for the early sync jumps to get spaced out between non sync jumps.

Course 3 deliberately has a lot of sync jumps as I avoided putting any in courses 1 and 2, and personally they are my favourite jumps.

I used one regenerate and many trigger_hurts because I thought trigger_hurts leaked if they could reach the void but I guess they dont so I fixed that too. The maze bonus alone uses nearly 600 lights so thats why there's so many of those.

I didn't add text stating the type of bounces because they work with both a jump bounce and a walk bounce, but if you still think I should add text then I will.

Version B2 released https://tf2maps.net/downloads/jump_bear.5570/ https://gamebanana.com/maps/198074
Made 53 harder
Gave the upwards triple better spacing
Replaced 343 trigger_hurts with 1
Minor cosmetic changes
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:12:51 AM by HOI »

Gorge004

• Proficient
    • View Profile
I didnt look if you did, but you should add playerclip overlapping the whole wall that you hug when you go up on last. Afaik that prevents random texture wallbug when you reach the wall you can shoot, wich could be super annoying during runs.

Also for the upward triple, you don't need to change the spacing of the 2nd triple if you move the trigger up a bit, idk what you mean by that.

kiddeR

• View Profile
the bounce triple is definitely really high, took me a bit to do
felt much harder than 59 and 60 at any rate

HOI

• View Profile
Good evening jumpers

Version B2 released https://tf2maps.net/downloads/jump_bear.5570/ https://gamebanana.com/maps/198074
Added player clips to avoid any spooky texture wallbugs
Made jump 58 a bit easier by making the top 256 units not eat rockets. This also makes it easier to enter the next jump quickly.

Sere

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Good evening jumpers

Added player clips to avoid any spooky texture wallbugs
Made jump 58 a bit easier by making the top 256 units not eat rockets. This also makes it easier to enter the next jump quickly.

I havent tried the map yet, but if you have any wallpogo, adding those playerclip can make it really difficult/awkward.
"Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication." - Leonardo Da Vinci

HOI

• View Profile
The playerclips don't stick out from the walls at all but are just supposed to prevent wallbugs. As far as I know this both avoids texture wallbugs and does not affect jumping.

Sere

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
The playerclips don't stick out from the walls at all but are just supposed to prevent wallbugs. As far as I know this both avoids texture wallbugs and does not affect jumping.

They help but do not always prevent it, like on jump_wallfox c2 l4 and jump_sick b1
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:19:48 PM by Sere »

HOI

• View Profile
If they don't stick out of walls can they make jumps more difficult?

Sere

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
If they don't stick out of walls can they make jumps more difficult?
I don't believe so, but I'm not 100% sure.

The only way I've found that prevents wallbugs every time is to make just every wall a solid texture, say red dev. Then for every different texture you want on that wall, you create a 1 unit-thick illusionary wall with that texture. However, this method can make things look very strange with shadows for some reason. The only map I've done this on is esri.

if you pause 1 second, you'll see an example: there is a red dev wall behind, and in front of that the white concrete and grey 4x4 metal textures are simply 1 unit thick func_illusionary's.

Doing that for every single wall is probably overkill, but for jumps where wallbugs would completely break the level, its worth checking out.