jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

jump_pyrokinesis (pyro jump map)

Red Dagger

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
A jump map for the pyro's detonator that I've been working on for a while now, since this is the first map I've come close to completing I used it as an excuse for some detailing.

5 courses of increasing difficulty with 8-9 jumps per course:

A - Beginner, can be completed without any self-dets.
B - Horizontal jumps, B5 onward requires multiple independent jumps to complete a single jump.
C - Vertical jumps, also a single fancy surf thing.
D - Intermediate, with a lot of rampy nonsense cor blimey and mid-air dets
E - General harder stuff, with a focus on strafing into annoying situations.

Jumps have been limited to "realistic" jumps, i.e. no special surfaces, the only teleports are on the floor for when you fail a jump, and reasonable scaling.

Showcase by VAVLIE:

Downloads
jump_pyrokinesis_rc1:
https://tf2maps.net/downloads/pyrokinesis.7368/
jump_pyrokinesis_b5:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/528wt78hcfs07b9/jump_pyrokinesis_b5.bsp
jump_pyrokinesis_b4:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e60wf0q7oxj64r5/jump_pyrokinesis_b4.bsp
jump_pyrokinesis_b3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahkt7ah6gdnfchb/jump_pyrokinesis_b3.bsp

Thanks to VAVLIE and Splerp for testing and feedback - you would kinda hate me if you tried completing the iterations I sent to these guys, so props to them for seeing it through from the initial greybox stages.

Images
https://imgur.com/a/FrEDjaE

Images (b5)
https://imgur.com/a/XlD4Z

Images (b4)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Images (original)

Even if you have no intention of getting through the jumps, I'd definitely appreciate feedback on the detailing side of things. Right now it's mostly just brushwork with a few essential props and decals (e.g. fences and jump numbering), so there's basically zero decorative entities, lighting has been slapped on just to light up the rooms, and there's zero sound at the moment. Got me a skybox though!

I have every intention of creating a release candidate version with the detailing pass it deserves, but I've slowed down work on it a bit so felt like getting it out there in a semi-complete state.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:03:08 AM by Red Dagger »

Dr Gains

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Love the work you put into detailing, very fitting to the general tf2 look! Also like how the map loops back into it self and feels fairly open. Ive only made it as far as c-5 and still trying to figure out how to do high vertical jumps consistently. Only things Ive found were: being able to stand on the ground on A-4 far right, stand on small building fence along A2~4. You can crawl up C-2 slightly which could prevent you from jumping you can still jump. For whatever reason C-8 seemed easier than C-3, but maybe I just got luckytotally missed the ledge behind wall to outside.... Also wish there were more jumps like E-9 that require 2nd det mid jump, oh well. Dont care much for the multiple single jumps as in 3 or more, tedious and frustrating to fail but thats just my opinion and I dont speak for everybody. Could also use some help text or whatever on jumps B2 and C2 as they were impossible until I watched Valvies Advanced Techniques video. By far the best detonator map so far though!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:38:40 PM by Dr Gains »

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
oh boy, this is some top tier detailing. i was able to do the A course first-trying pretty much every jump, but the 1st jump of the B course was already pretty challenging. maybe i'm just bad tho.

one cosmetic thing that caught my attention was your water around the spawn area, maybe fiddle around with the texture scale so the water doesn't look as repetitive as it currently does. it's an easy fix to a mild issue, it will make your map a tad better than it already is for my eyes :)

Red Dagger

• View Profile
got me a b4, updated OP with a few images if ya wanna have a quick look at the detailing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e60wf0q7oxj64r5/jump_pyrokinesis_b4.bsp?dl=0

Lots of map changes (like a couple from Dr Gains as well, danke), jump changes, water is probably finalised (thanks donuttt, turns out most maps actually use water that's 4 times the scale of default textures), random general quality changes like a soundscape and welcome camera; but most importantly, I did a detail pass on the A course so it should be about final level, and added help stuff on each A jump (since it's meant to be the beginner stage, other stages will be pretty devoid of help stuff). This is more of a feedback-only version so don't mind the contrast in detail :P

I'd love a little feedback on the A-course detailing, and if the implemented help system is fine. Also not sure which jumps post-A will benefit from help stuff, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone who feels like powering through all/a lot of the jumps and giving feedback on any of them is greatly appreciated!

And again, thanks in advance for any feedback!

VAVLIE

• Novice
    • View Profile
Here we go!

Overall: main problem for me is some transitions still feel awkward/cramped. Other than that, the map is starting to turn into something wonderful!
Help nodes: I think they are well implemented, but I'm really unsure if they are necessary on Course A, other than A7. Basic detonator stuff is the exact same as basic rocket jumping, and there's already plenty of resources for that. They would only help players who are at their very first jumping experience. Some people might disagree though so it's worth asking around.

Here are the later levels where help nodes might be useful:

-Maybe B2, first real self-det
-B3: Mid air self-det (its the first one like that, can be a bit confusing at first to know what's intended)
-C8: 256 isnt quite max height, (max height is 271 as far as i know), but self-det is definitely required. You actually dont need advanced tech to get that high, just a good right strafe self-det. The jump needs to cost 42 hp minimum, it can be a good indicator of doing things right.
-D2: I'm still not sure to understand what's going on here, as I see it you need to kind of self-det powerbounce on the smaller ramp part to keep your forward speed, i dont really know how you would call it. But it definitely needs a help node (i remember spending 20 minutes on this thinking it was some sort of auto-edgebug)
-D4 possibly

A course detailing: good stuff! The only things bugging me are the layouts of A7 and B1. Feels cramped and unatural, but i'd have trouble telling you why. Also the little round ground light looks a bit out of place sometimes.

A course

B course

C Course

D course

Course E

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:55:13 AM by VAVLIE »

Red Dagger

• View Profile
jump_pyrokinesis_b5 is hea

https://www.dropbox.com/s/528wt78hcfs07b9/jump_pyrokinesis_b5.bsp

album of screenies https://imgur.com/a/XlD4Z

This is basically the final version, posting here for any final feedback on anything and everything, though I'd especially like to know how it is performance-wise (notably at the lighthouse). If nothing needs multiple iterations then the next will be rc1 :D

as always, thanks in advance for any feedback!

VAVLIE

• Novice
    • View Profile
B5 feedbacks!

Main problems for me: 2 transitions are still awkward/cramped in my opinion, and some of the new props can be a bit in the way.

A course

B course

C course

D course

E course

I like the new ending :) I'd go ham trying to make it as pretty and rewarding as possible.

Red Dagger

• View Profile
jump_pyrokinesis_rc1 is here! It's been ages and loads of revisions since the last post here, so not really gonna list all the changes, but it's in a pretty finished state :P

https://tf2maps.net/downloads/pyrokinesis.7368/

• Intermediate
  • bind space hud_reloadscheme
    • View Profile
    • CFG.TF
It is kind of sad that with soldier/demo maps scale this level of detailing is absurd. It looks absolutely stunning, very nice touch on the lighthouse, I thought it was a sunshine prop at first glance. I don't really enjoy jumping as pyro because it's too slow and has less "relaxed jumping" flow in it, but this map is very well crafted and made me do it.

VAVLIE

• Novice
    • View Profile
Simply the best pyro map ever made, and by a long way. Super happy to see it finally released.

BQE

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
this map looks really awesome!  unfortunately im really struggling to figure out the basic timing of det jumping.  im struggling pretty badly to beat B4.  where should i be aiming?  whats the jump + shoot timing?  Do I need to hold crouch? 

Red Dagger

• View Profile
this map looks really awesome!  unfortunately im really struggling to figure out the basic timing of det jumping.  im struggling pretty badly to beat B4.  where should i be aiming?  whats the jump + shoot timing?  Do I need to hold crouch?
Thanks!

The map showcase does B4 at around the 50 second mark, so you can look there to see where to aim. Make sure you're holding the button to detonate the flare as well. As for timing, I generally crouch+fire a split second before jumping, but that's something you can toy with to get a good feel for.