Welcome B)

jump_chocological IS FINISHED

mazlli · 16 · 1940

mazlli

• Novice
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • i use left viewmodels
    • View Profile
ITS FINISHED DL HERE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1206wi1w8myy9sl/jump_chocological.bsp?dl=0
15 jumps, 4 bonuses

thanks for everyone's feedback
and special thanks to exile for his amazing oreos

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:30:07 PM by mazlli »

Klowwd

• Proficient
    • View Profile
1-9 was fun. 10-15 was generally not. I enjoyed the first few jumps but:
10 was unappealing to me because I hate wallpogo and so do a lot of other t4 jumpers
11 I had no idea what you wanted me to do, since the platform teleports you. I assume it's a wallshot into a triple then wallshots to the end but it doesn't work. Unless that's wrong entirely, I think the tele needs to go.
12 was ok but I couldn't beat it because I'm ass at speedshots. They do seem difficultly spaced but it could be just me.
13 is fun and I like it.
14 is also confusing. To me, it seems like it should be speedpogo up the letters, sync on the platform and wallshot to the end. However, the floor teles you so that can't be it, unless it's a bounce. In that case, it's not fair and you should let the player know.
15 just makes no sense to me. I think it's a triple into that loop but I don't know what to do from there.

Anyway, levels 1-9 are fun. 5 is weirdly spaced but other than that, I like it. Super original. Keep it up! :)

Hass

• View Profile
-Nice theme
-Bit hard to see, the yellow/white chocolate wall is the problem i think, hard to tell depth like on jump yona
-jump 5, this jump feels awkward, i think it'd be better if it was spaced for a rocket jump rather than a wallshot start
-jump 7, make the first skip a few units higher
-is jump 9 just a triple, it feels more like it's a triple to a ceiling > bhop to climb but it's easily cheatable by doing just a triple
-jump 10, the end ramp is weird, you need to sync it but i go too fast to sync, if i tap s i don't make it to the ramp
-if jump 12 is a ss to sync ss, it will make the map extremely annoying to speedrun since sync ss is very inconsistent, you can make the end closer to make it less annoying
-jump 13, the end feels a bit too far
-what is jump 11, 14 and 15?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:10:32 PM by Hass »

Hass

• View Profile
on 10 you can ceiling > crouched bounce which works just fine, thought it was legit before you mentioned it klowwd, i'm just having trouble with the ramp part

BQE

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
  • took me a while to figure out where to go on 4 (had to noclip to 5 and go backwards to see how the levels connected)
  • the right wall on 5 seems too short, I am frequently getting too high to hit it
  • skipped 7 because i dont enjoy that kind of mechanic
  • 8 can be cheated at the end with a ctap

can't really evaluate after that, because i'm not sure what should be fail triggers.

edit: doing more

• 9 - feels weird because of the low ceiling
  • 10 - im not really sure what is intended
  • 11 - no clue what to do here
  • 12 - ss to ss sync?  ill be honest i no clipped past this, i dont enjoy these kind of jumps
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:17:21 PM by BQE »

mazlli

• Novice
  • i use left viewmodels
    • View Profile
1-9 was fun. 10-15 was generally not. I enjoyed the first few jumps but:
10 was unappealing to me because I hate wallpogo and so do a lot of other t4 jumpers
11 I had no idea what you wanted me to do, since the platform teleports you. I assume it's a wallshot into a triple then wallshots to the end but it doesn't work. Unless that's wrong entirely, I think the tele needs to go.
12 was ok but I couldn't beat it because I'm ass at speedshots. They do seem difficultly spaced but it could be just me.
13 is fun and I like it.
14 is also confusing. To me, it seems like it should be speedpogo up the letters, sync on the platform and wallshot to the end. However, the floor teles you so that can't be it, unless it's a bounce. In that case, it's not fair and you should let the player know.
15 just makes no sense to me. I think it's a triple into that loop but I don't know what to do from there.

Anyway, levels 1-9 are fun. 5 is weirdly spaced but other than that, I like it. Super original. Keep it up! :)

10 isn't wallpogo, unsure if typo, i plan to adjust the speedpogo plats to be higher and easier
11 is eb to wall sync, may change
12 may change too since i don't like it either
14 im going to space the letters further for a smoother pogo to ceiling smash bounce sync, i do intend on giving players direction as to what to do when i finish
15 see edit gif

mazlli

• Novice
  • i use left viewmodels
    • View Profile
-Nice theme
-Bit hard to see, the yellow/white chocolate wall is the problem i think, hard to tell depth like on jump yona
-jump 5, this jump feels awkward, i think it'd be better if it was spaced for a rocket jump rather than a wallshot start
-jump 7, make the first skip a few units higher
-is jump 9 just a triple, it feels more like it's a triple to a ceiling > bhop to climb but it's easily cheatable by doing just a triple
-jump 10, the end ramp is weird, you need to sync it but i go too fast to sync, if i tap s i don't make it to the ramp
-if jump 12 is a ss to sync ss, it will make the map extremely annoying to speedrun since sync ss is very inconsistent, you can make the end closer to make it less annoying
-jump 13, the end feels a bit too far
-what is jump 11, 14 and 15?

thanks for the input on the textures, will try and make them darker or use better lighting since i have no idea how to use light
will adjust 5 for higher heights, lotta people having the similar issue
jump 9 is a ceiling smash bhop might adjust to enforce it
jump 10 i too also felt the ramp was too close so i may move it back just wanted to see if others were having the issue
jump 12: i will consider making an entirely new jump or moving end closer
jumps 11, 14, and 15 see edit

porkie

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +1/-0
  • play momentum mod instead
    • View Profile
Hiya, great looking map, really like the theme.

Personal feelings:
The first ramp on 3 felt a bit short. Might just be me but I wasn't sure whether you wanted 1 or 2 rockets shot on there.
4 was a little bit confusing, took me a second to figure out where to go, maybe want make it more obvious somehow.
10 is alright. Platform feels a bit close, wasn't clear that it was a bounce at all, initially thought it was some weird pogo thing to start with.
11 is an OK jump but if you are aiming for T4 and want the map to be fun to run, an eb wallsync is not a good idea.
12 is pretty hard again, same problem as 11, too hard for a T4 and too inconsistent for a fun speedrun map. Maybe change it to speedshot into a sync or something? If you really want to keep it, the end should be closer so you don't need a perfect sync ss every time.
13 is really cool, like the idea a lot. End is a bit too far away imo.
14 is a very awkward jump, I understand the reason for lettering but since they are unfortunately thin letters it's just a bit annoying. Again, too hard for T4.
15 is a interesting concept but is a total nightmare. If you ask me you should just come up with something else for this - it's way, way too much for a T4. I've watched the gif you put up of it in your edit, looks so inconsistent and frustrating and I feel that you would run into a common pitfall for mappers which is making the final jump so unbearably hard it ruins the whole map (see _littleman, both _destinationv1 and v2, even _above to an extent). Also I think you might have made it with left hand viewmodels in mind - 99% of people use right handed viewmodels so bear that in mind.

Overall I think the start of the map is pretty good.  The difficulty curve will be reasonable once the awkward jumps are ironed out. I think if you keep the difficulty of the jumps this hard you are going to be nearing T5-6 with some of them, so might want to tone it back if you are really aiming for T4.
Looking forward to updates.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:50:23 PM by porkie »
:^)

mazlli

• Novice
  • i use left viewmodels
    • View Profile
Hiya, great looking map, really like the theme.

Personal feelings:
The first ramp on 3 felt a bit short. Might just be me but I wasn't sure whether you wanted 1 or 2 rockets shot on there.
4 was a little bit confusing, took me a second to figure out where to go, maybe want make it more obvious somehow.
10 is alright. Platform feels a bit close, wasn't clear that it was a bounce at all, initially thought it was some weird pogo thing to start with.
11 is an OK jump but if you are aiming for T4 and want the map to be fun to run, an eb wallsync is not a good idea.
12 is pretty hard again, same problem as 11, too hard for a T4 and too inconsistent for a fun speedrun map. Maybe change it to speedshot into a sync or something? If you really want to keep it, the end should be closer so you don't need a perfect sync ss every time.
13 is really cool, like the idea a lot. End is a bit too far away imo.
14 is a very awkward jump, I understand the reason for lettering but since they are unfortunately thin letters it's just a bit annoying.
15 is a interesting concept but is a total nightmare. If you ask me you should just come up with something else for this - it's way, way too much for a T4. I've watched the gif you put up of it in your edit, looks so inconsistent and frustrating and I feel that you would run into a common pitfall for mappers which is making the final jump so unbearably hard it ruins the whole map (see _littleman, both _destinationv1 and v2, even _above to an extent). Also I think you might have made it with left hand viewmodels in mind - 99% of people use right handed viewmodels so bear that in mind.

Overall I think the start of the map is pretty good.  The difficulty curve will be reasonable once the awkward jumps are ironed out. I think if you keep the difficulty of the jumps this hard you are going to be nearing T5 with some of them, so might want to tone it back if you are really aiming for T4.
Looking forward to updates.

thanks for all the input! I do plan on guiding on how to do jumps/where to go into my map later on. I purposefully designed some jumps for left wallshots in mind,however, I will probably scrap 11 into a bonus or auto eb into something else, and redesign 12 into wall shots or something. as for 15, i do not plan on changing it though i did plan on adding certain textures to indicate where to shoot first or fire and i may also end up moving the goal closer. thanks so much again for all the input

blob

• View Profile
So as the map stands I'll be honest I'm not a huge fan of the implementation of most of the techniques.

#1-3 are fine. Maybe consider spacing the last wallshot on 3 a bit further back I seem to usually get to the very edge when doing my last wallshot but this spacing is fine for low tiers.

#4 is fucking confusing and as others have said I had to noclip around to find out where to go. In addition, the wall which I assume I'm supposed to do 2 wallshots on wouldn't work for more than 1 wallshot if I were to ctap double.

#5 is a fine idea but the wallshot/skip spacing is a bit strange. Others have said this.

#6 if intended is 2 wallshots the wall is too short. If intended is 1 wallshot I think the skip platform might be too far away.

#7 I do like these jump mechanics but I think the spacing could be a bit better especially between the first wall you climb up and the 2nd skip.

#8 maybe make the ramp higher? not sure what you were intending with this jump but it's also ctap cheatable.

#9 fine jump despite the obvious cheat of going around the sides.

#10 I'm not a fan of the spacing of the skips after the crouch bounce. They feel way too long for 1 rocket and way too short for 2. I never actually beat this jump.

#11 I'm really not a fan of this kind of jump and it's also really hard for a T4(?). Maybe do an autoeb. If you'd like to keep it the same maybe change the layout of the jump. I'd look at the first jump of attached c4 for inspiration because that jump flows pretty well (without the low ceiling please).

#12 bad jump for speedrunning and also generally not fun for most players. I would just redesign the whole thing.
Note: the teles from 12 interfere with the staircase to 13.

#13 is sick and I love it.

#14 obvious bad spacing on the letters. Maybe make the bounce platform lower because I never have enough time to actually hit the bounce because I hit the ground too fast.

#15 is a unique and interesting idea but it seems way too hard. Maybe make it easier to time with some sort of indicators. There's most definitely a better way to implement this kind of jump.

Overall the curve seems really strange. Goes from t3ish to t5 (or maybe 6 as the jump stands) on 11. and definitely up to tier 6 with 15. I would design 10-15 with the difficulty of 13 in mind as that jump fits well for that spot in a t4 map.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:09:48 PM by blob »

porkie

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +1/-0
  • play momentum mod instead
    • View Profile
Gotta agree with blob here, 15 is too much. If you want to keep it, I'd say make it a bonus and come up with something else (easier) for last. It's not too hard to figure out where to shoot anyway, so showing that more obviously isn't going to make the jump magically easier. You're looking at a high T4 map with a solid T6 last which will be really annoying.
:^)

mazlli

• Novice
  • i use left viewmodels
    • View Profile
thanks for all the incredible feedback jumpers, heres the changes i've made to b3
 - jump 4: added arrow indicator to show the goal, and made the wall taller
 - jump 5: made walls taller/larger and adjusted skip plats
 - jump 7: ever slightly raised the first skip platform
 - jump 8: fixed the ctap cheat
 - jump 9: raised the wall to enforce bhop method
 - jump 10: raised some speed pogo plats (still needs alot of testing)
 - jump 11: now has auto eb feature
 - jump 12: revamped to a ss into some wallshots (no cancer sync ss)
 - jump 14: arranged the letters more  (still needs testing)
 - jump 15: removed the necessity of a second bundle of rockets, can now be completed with a crouch auto eb bounce after the loop and some wallshots

I will probably make the original jump 15 a bonus like people have suggested, which i must say thanks again for all the feedback!

B3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v5g1ro99obkx2j/jump_chocological_b3.bsp?dl=0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 12:28:32 PM by mazlli »

mazlli

• Novice
  • i use left viewmodels
    • View Profile
b8 update! DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8zwn5vq9z985q0/jump_chocological_b8.bsp?dl=0
 - textured mostly up to jump 9
 - jump 9: changed to a powerbounce
 - jump 10: adjusted pogo plats some more, moved ramp closer

i'll probably toy around with jump 14 when i get to it with texturing, please let me know what you think!

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +5/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile

Dukezilent

• View Profile
Hey maz, I'm sorry that it took me so long to test the map.
Overall, the map is decent with few extraordinary jumps. This map definitely has a lot of potential which is held back mostly by awkward spacing (for t4).

1~3: I really don't have much to say, but I don't see the point of having the large walls between the jumps.
4: I like the secret vanta shrine, so I wouldn't say remove it. However, it still makes the jump a little confusing. What you could do is place a phase wall there like the bonus on toxic.
6: Move the ss platform a bit further away from the start platform.
7: Make an indicator on both walls to show where the pogo platforms are.
8: Cool jump
9: You can fall off the map if you go past water. I'm not a fan of pb, so I don't really like this jump. Doing a regular crouch bounce or having the pb at the beginning of the jump would make it better for me. I also don't like how the platform you sync on is so long and how the rest of the jump is far away from the start platform. Seems a bit unnecessary to me.
10: If you could have a question mark or some kind of indicator to show that its a bounce, that would help the people running the map. I'm fine with the spacing, but make the end platform a bit shorter to make it more forgiving.
11: This is my least favourite jump, but if you could also make this more forgiving, I wouldn't mind it as much. I would say the end platform is pretty far for t4. You could also place a wall you can shoot off at the beginning for jumpers who can't consistently ctap.
12~13, 15: Pretty fun jumps, but the end platform seems too far.
14: Place the crouch sync bounce platform further away since I keep overshooting myself.

I actually like what you did with 15 more than I expected myself to, but making it and other jumps more forgiving will make the whole map more manageable to run on Tempus for most people.