jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Problem with bounces

Josh24 · 7 · 1475

Josh24

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
on Jump_Sithood and Apex, I spent combined over 1 1/2 hours trying (and failing) to bounce. I was following advice I found from Sere, which was that if I see red damage marks, I shot too early, if I don't see them, I shot too late. Each attempt I tried to adjust my timing, but I never bounced even once.

So, after failing for 45 minutes on jump Apex (during my WR run), I tried crouchwalking off instead of jumping, and I got it on literally my 2nd try. Crouchwalking off worked on jump_Sithood too. Both maps say to jump off.

Just for good measure, I tried both maps offline, and got the same results.

I really have a hard time believing that I just plain suck at the timing, especially since I'm able to bounce by crouchwalking off. I theorize that some configs/interp are affecting my ability to bounce.

Does anyone else notice a significantly larger time window for doing a bounce when crouchwalking? Because my success rate jumps from 0% to roughly 50% when I crouchwalk.

newjuls

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
So, after failing for 45 minutes on jump Apex (during my WR run), I tried crouchwalking off instead of jumping, and I got it on literally my 2nd try. Crouchwalking off worked on jump_Sithood too. Both maps say to jump off.

That just means the bounce height can be done in more than 1 way. And there are a lot of bounce heights that can be done more than 1 way.

I really have a hard time believing that I just plain suck at the timing, especially since I'm able to bounce by crouchwalking off. I theorize that some configs/interp are affecting my ability to bounce.

NO NO NO NO NO. Interp, ping, netcode, anything related to that has 0 effect on how bounces work. The only way that bounces will change is if the server is running on a different tick rate.

Does anyone else notice a significantly larger time window for doing a bounce when crouchwalking? Because my success rate jumps from 0% to roughly 50% when I crouchwalk.

No there isn't. EVERY bounce has a 1 tick window.

sitood

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
jump_Sithood

I can't understand why I'm seeing this typo too much  :o

Josh24

• View Profile
Then why am I hitting 0/1000 bounces at one height, while hitting 50/100 bounces
at another height if it's the exact same time window?

I would accept that I'm bad at bounces had I gotten maybe 1% of my bounces, but with 0% vs 50%, I can't help but think something strange is going on.

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile
jump_Sithood

I can't understand why I'm seeing this typo too much  :o

#t=3
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:21:12 PM by HyperDan2000 »

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Then why am I hitting 0/1000 bounces at one height, while hitting 50/100 bounces
at another height if it's the exact same time window?

I would accept that I'm bad at bounces had I gotten maybe 1% of my bounces, but with 0% vs 50%, I can't help but think something strange is going on.

Well for starters it's not the exact same window. The window is the same size but when you jump the window comes later (because you jumped...).

Also I will say that subjectively some bounces are easier than others. In the case of these bounces the height is 528 units which is the same for 5 of the bounces in jump_bounce, it's also the bounce height on soar, above, DiirtyxWeezy (jump 1), and probably like 5 other maps. IMO that's not a particularly hard bounce height but that's just me, also there are a lot of places you can practice it.

I'm not going to say you're bad at bounces but, you may just be bad at that bounce done that way.