jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

does 144hz effect your speedshots?

jump_oats_b2

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hey, I'm getting a 144hz monitor over the summer and wanna know if it's gonna make shit like speedshots more consistent (for one reason or another)

Mireal

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I upgraded from my 30 hz monitor to 144 and i was able to chain 12 crouched airpogos. So yes.  8)
man cannot ascend with worldly values holding him down

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
I upgraded from my 30 hz monitor to 144 and i was able to chain 12 crouched airpogos. So yes.  8)
Cool. What about speedshots tho.

dummy.

Mireal

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
30 hz monitor

the fuck
Those were exactly my thoughts.

On topic. It will probably a bit easier, but I don't know for sure since I have no experience.

Mireal

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I meant 15 hz sorry.

SimplyJpk

• Just Jump ~ Owner
    • View Profile
tldr; Yes & No, Mostly No.

Depends if you use VSync.. If you use it, Yes, definitely. The game only calc's mouse clicks each frame that you run. 144 is double that of 60, so better timing opportunities.

If you don't, then it just depends how many frames your pc pushes. if you're running 300fps, The timing of your mouse is negligible. I run at 120 fps just cause I see no point in rendering frames I won't see. (The benefit of extra frames is why i push double my refresh rate)

You could also argue the fact you'll see more of the movement you're making at 144, it'll give you more chance to time them better.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Depends if you use VSync.. If you use it, Yes, definitely. The game only calc's mouse clicks each frame that you run. 144 is double that of 60, so better timing opportunities.

This is wrong.

TF2 runs at 66.666 ticks per second all the time no matter what (unless you increase the server tickrate obviously). Increasing your monitor refresh rate won't suddenly make the server run more than twice as fast. The most commands someone could send in 1 second is 66.666 commands flat. All Vsync does is make the game render at the same rate as your monitor, it doesn't change how fast it's calculated.

TF2 may have some garbage coding but they were smart enough to not tie framerate and tickrate together.

You could also argue the fact you'll see more of the movement you're making at 144, it'll give you more chance to time them better.

This is correct.
Increasing your framerate to something over 66.666 would allow you to actually see every tick and have 1 tick per frame. So the best performing monitor at the lowest clock speed would be 67Hz. But that doesn't exist anywhere. However, you could reach that and higher by just simply overclocking a 60Hz monitor.

Zigzati

• View Profile
Well, obviously, it technically does help, because you're getting more information, and assuming you're getting a good monitor you're also probably going to get lower input lag. So imo, yes, it does help, but the difference isn't really that big.
Source: used to have 60hz 5ms monitor, was shit at speedshots, got a nice 144hz 1ms monitor, still shit at speedshots but buttery smooth :D