jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Edgebugs

pardinensis

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

a few weeks ago I came up with a terrible idea for a jump, one that uses an edgebug as a way to slow down (maybe for a quad/quint, that's still TBD). Anyways, the point is, that I want the edgebug to be as easy as possible. So I tried to use stairs, simply because they provide a ton of edges. I imagined that stairs with a step size of 1x1 HU should always lead to a successful edgebug.

Some testing showed me that this whole edgebugging stuff is not that easy. Minimal deviations in speed and angle can lead to a painful emergency stop on the stairs.

So do edgebugs require exact heights/speeds/etc, like bounces do for example?
Is this whole "ground being 2 HU high" thing interfering my test with 1HU high stairs?

I just can't find a sound explanation as to why the approach with the stairs fails so miserably.

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
Best way to provide an intended edgebug: put a sliding ramp going downward and put a 1x1 block at the very end. Will edgebug 90% of the time.

About the rest of your questions idk what to say.

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
Jump_edgebug has a quad jump you will always edgebug.

879m

• Proficient
    • Frags: +2/-0
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
Unless I'm mistaken, b2 and b3 of jump_edgebug are what you described, and they are really inconsistent. Best way imo is what plopy or heinz said

Tice

Kusok last is also a quad where you get slowed down by an edgebug. All you have to do is wall off uncrouched and you'll hit it almost every time.

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
Unless I'm mistaken, b2 and b3 of jump_edgebug are what you described, and they are really inconsistent. Best way imo is what plopy or heinz said

the edgebug platforms on jump_edgebug b2 and b3 seem very consistent to me (maybe like 90% successful edgebug). I don't know how they work though.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
Best way to provide an intended edgebug: put a sliding ramp going downward and put a 1x1 block at the very end. Will edgebug 90% of the time.

Is there a specific angle you need to use for the ramp? Or a max/min angle?

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile

anything greater than 45

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • View Profile

anything greater than 45

doesn't work for me. is there a speed limitation?

879m

• Proficient
    • Frags: +2/-0
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
Source wiki says you must be moving to edgebug, don't know about anymore limitations there might be but I wouldn't think there would be any. Might be more info about it but I can't seem to find the page anymore.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • View Profile
doesn't seem to work for me. any suggestions?

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
doesn't seem to work for me. any suggestions?

Make it longer, 3 units should work fine.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • View Profile
resolved with rnc's help by raising it 12 units and extending it 3 units because i was hitting the ground