jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Recording and Rendering of Jump Videos?

Guest · 10 · 2254

Syro

So I have some questions about what you guys use to record and to render your videos.

- I've been having trouble finding what format I should render to, as Youtube doesn't accept pretty much every format I try to use.
- I've been using Lawena to record (120 FPS, DX 8.1), but I've heard that SrcDemo2 is really good for recording.

Is there anything special that you guys do/use?
What formats do you guys use, and is SrcDemo2 better than Lawena?

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Once you record with lawena/srcdemo it should dump a fuckton of tgas and a .wav into some folder.
Then you take those put them in Veedub, change some settings around, then save as an AVI.
Then from there take the avi and put it into Vegas/After effects/Premiere pro, do the edit and render it out into h.264 mp4.

When rendering I recommend 20 Mbps bitrate for 1080p and like 44 Mbps for 4K. Youtube will only playback at 18 and 40 respectively, but it will look nicer.

http://www.teamfortress.tv/3521/how-to-make-videos-for-tf2

Syro

Once you record with lawena/srcdemo it should dump a fuckton of tgas and a .wav into some folder.
Then you take those put them in Veedub, change some settings around, then save as an AVI.
Then from there take the avi and put it into Vegas/After effects/Premiere pro, do the edit and render it out into h.264 mp4.

When rendering I recommend 20 Mbps bitrate for 1080p and like 44 Mbps for 4K. Youtube will only playback at 18 and 40 respectively, but it will look nicer.

http://www.teamfortress.tv/3521/how-to-make-videos-for-tf2

Thanks!

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Guess I might as well dump this here as well:

When I was last doing recording, trying to both use either Lawena/Srcdemo or just the plain tf2 .tga, method no matter what I did when I went to stitch the .tgas together in vdub the result was a jittery mess as if it was recorded on a potato at 10fps, even when i would compile at high host fps rates etc. My PC isn't exactly a slouch either, got a i5 something and tf2 runs on a SSD.

Anyone ever come across this behaviour?

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile
Guess I might as well dump this here as well:

When I was last doing recording, trying to both use either Lawena/Srcdemo or just the plain tf2 .tga, method no matter what I did when I went to stitch the .tgas together in vdub the result was a jittery mess as if it was recorded on a potato at 10fps, even when i would compile at high host fps rates etc. My PC isn't exactly a slouch either, got a i5 something and tf2 runs on a SSD.

Anyone ever come across this behaviour?

are you setting framerate in vdub properly

are you pushing arrow keys while recording with lawena

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
Playing the file with a normal video player right after you've put it into vdub won't work. Normal players can't handle the size of the file.

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Ah thanks, think I never directly viewed them in vegas after, only in VLC or something.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
what i do is avi -> vegas/ae/whatever -> avi -> ame -> mp4. i'm pretty sure the result is something less lossy than going from vegas straight to mp4.

if i'm wrong someone tell me so i can remove a step and save time

also yeah don't try viewing the vdub avi files. view the result after getting new avi/mp4

Syro

if i'm wrong someone tell me so i can remove a step and save time

I have been trying out different profiles and formats and have found that directly rendering to x264 @ 20 mbps results in pretty decent quality; it seems near-lossless.

Example:

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Yeah that's pretty good, one problem is there are A LOT of textures in tf2 that just don't play well with mp4 compression, and there's fuck all to do about it other than render at an even higher bitrate.

Also if lossless is what you want record at 4k, render at 44mbps, upload, watch and it looks almost completely lossless. Watching it back at 4k will make it look even nicer.

And this is how you actually record at resolution greater than your native monitor res
http://www.teamfortress.tv/17291/sourceres