jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Moderation vote 2 - Electric Boogaloo

John · 22 · 4739

Poll

How much do you want forum posts to be moderated?

No moderation at all (Delete only spam & bot-posts)
4 (8.5%)
Strong Moderation (Delete all memey/pointless replies and inflammatory personal replies from all boards but off-topic)
17 (36.2%)
Moderate Moderation (Delete most memey/pointless replies and inflammatory personal replies from all boards except off-topic)
14 (29.8%)
Minor Moderation (Delete some memey/pointless replies and inflammatory personal replies from all boards except off-topic)
9 (19.1%)
Other (Explain in your reply)
1 (2.1%)
Extreme Moderation (Delete all memey/pointless replies and inflammatory personal replies from all boards)
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: February 06, 2016, 01:19:49 AM

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
As the votes are right now, does this mean that we can't post gifs in reply to a post else now or does that not count under memes / shitposting?

I think as long as it's 1 gif/pic then it's fine, like when AI posted that witchcraft gif in response to the new trigger thingy or the 3 posts after my speedshot explanation. If it's 1 person posting 1 thing as just a gut reaction I think that's fine. But when a thread turns into nothing but trash... There's a real big difference between a joke and a shit post.

As far as the shitposting being the majority of the posts here, then fuck. What's the point? I want this to be a place where we can maturely talk about jumping, map making, video editing, whatever.

I think that if you only come here to shitpost and you don't actually add anything to any topic at all, just fuck off. If what you want to do is tell people about their new maps, videos, jumping techniques, etc. and help them make those things better, then that's great you're helping build and improve this community. I'd love it if all we had was a bunch of helpful, friendly nerds that share a hobby.

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
Regarding a single reaction gif as a shitpost seems extreme.

Rokio

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Can we get some EXAMPLES in here that are shitposts outside of off topic.

My general thoughts right now are like this: If we are going with stronger moderation then basically we don't want posts that derail or devalue on-topic threads.

Posting a reaction gif or something like that in a serious thread is totally fine if it's vaguely related and not generally offensive; but doing it all the time, or posting some unrelated meme just to bump the thread or get a reaction out of people is not fine; and various people posting strings of reaction gifs which end up devolving the thread is also not good.

It's ok to sometimes jokingly shit-talk people when they are in on the joke, but it's not ok to make an obnoxious habit out of it, or hijack threads with pointless tangents, or antagonize people to get a rise out of them, post harmful rumors about them, etc.

It's ok to post a short reply to a thread if it has something to do with it, but not to litter various threads with meaningless replies to get your post count up or whatever.

In general if a post is made specifically to get some kind of reaction out of people unrelated to the content of the thread, it's probably not wanted in on-topic boards.

Although it does seem tricky to define what shitposting is, I think it's probably pretty obvious most of the time when you see it.  The mods aren't going to be Nazis about it. If people don't try to push the boundaries of reasonable internet conversation in on-topic boards, they should be fine (yes I know much of the community is very young, but we have a meme board now if you just can't control it).

These are just my initial thoughts on stronger moderation, but I'm totally open to other interpretations and suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:41:49 AM by Rokio »

ReMaXeD

• Intermediate
  • Serious poster
    • View Profile

My general thoughts right now are like this: If we are going with stronger moderation then basically we don't want posts that derail or devalue on-topic threads.

Posting a reaction gif or something like that in a serious thread is totally fine if it's vaguely related and not generally offensive; but doing it all the time, or posting some unrelated meme just to bump the thread or get a reaction out of people is not fine; and various people posting strings of reaction gifs which end up devolving the thread is also not good.

It's ok to sometimes jokingly shit-talk people when they are in on the joke, but it's not ok to make an obnoxious habit out of it, or hijack threads with pointless tangents, or antagonize people to get a rise out of them, post harmful rumors about them, etc.

It's ok to post a short reply to a thread if it has something to do with it, but not to litter various threads with meaningless replies to get your post count up or whatever.

In general if a post is made specifically to get some kind of reaction out of people unrelated to the content of the thread, it's probably not wanted in on-topic boards.

Although it does seem tricky to define what shitposting is, I think it's probably pretty obvious most of the time when you see it.  The mods aren't going to be Nazis about it. If people don't try to push the boundaries of reasonable internet conversation in on-topic boards, they should be fine (yes I know much of the community is very young, but we have a meme board now if you just can't control it).

These are just my initial thoughts on stronger moderation, but I'm totally open to other interpretations and suggestions.

Well put.   I'm in favor of these kind of guidelines on the forums. 

Washed up hack

• Intermediate
  • P O W E R B O U N C E
    • View Profile

I meant more towards examples of shitposts that already happened. Not as the guidelines. But thanks anyways R O K I O.
Obeezy #1 fan

shoutout to my main man obz and my good friend b boogie. They are wonderful people.

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile

I meant more towards examples of shitposts that already happened. Not as the guidelines. But thanks anyways R O K I O.

You can use me as the main example if you want. I think that's enough to go by.

Rokio

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
So voting is over now.  Seems pretty obvious that people want a little more moderation on the whole from what we were doing a few months ago, but nothing extreme, and we've already resolved some of those issues with the meme board, and taking it off recent posts etc.  So there you have it.  Doesn't seem like we'll need any more moderators for the time being, but we'll see.