jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Blocking custom particles on volcanic

Mac- · 9 · 2087

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but is there a way to block the stupid custom particles from volcanic? I want to put volcanic on my server, but I hate the particles that are stuck on after playing it. Any help would be appreciated.

• Intermediate
  • bind space hud_reloadscheme
    • View Profile
    • CFG.TF
You can try Stripper: Source for this. Noclip once through the map and remove all particle systems you want.

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I'll try this, but I'm not sure what the entity is that applies the custom rocket/sticky trails or how to filter it out.

Edit: I decompiled the map and looked through every entity and I can't find anything that points towards replacing the stock particles, I'm confused.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:25:56 PM by Mac- »

Shooter

• View Profile
Look for an info_particle_system applying something like rockettrail.pcf.

Volcanic has a couple custom particles packed into it like this: http://puu.sh/wT8vU/d2bd0e7f9f.png

It'll probably be one of those.

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Nope, looks like none of them are for rocket trails. Could the particles.txt be changing the rocket trails without the use of an in game entity?

Shooter

• View Profile
Yes, but I don't know how that works or how you would fix it. Here's a screenshot of all of the particles that particles.txt calls: http://puu.sh/wTfOc/f5d84622bd.png

I can't find most of those packed in the bsp file so I'm not sure where it's calling them from but a couple of them look like possible candidates.

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
There is no reference to the particle in the decompiled vmf, but it looks like the custom rockettrail particle in the map was precached when the map starts, and lingers on even after a map change due to a bug in the particle system manager.

Looks like you'll have to remove the custom trail from the particles manifest and repack the bsp (and rename it).

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Looks like you'll have to remove the custom trail from the particles manifest and repack the bsp (and rename it).

Is there an easy way to do this with VIDE or something similar?

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
Have a look at https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/BSPZIP

You may want to bring this question up in the mapping subforum.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:01:28 PM by AI »