jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

BG5 Live Race Poll

nick · 15 · 2214

Poll

Would you be interested in participating in a livestreamed map race as a part of Beginnings 5

Yes
38 (69.1%)
No
11 (20%)
Depends (please elaborate)
6 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

nick

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Hi gamers. Beginnings 5 is currently in development and is set for a few months from now. I've been wanting to do something a little extra than the past few years and have had the idea for a live race this year, but I'm not too sure if there would be enough participants to justify going through with it. As of right now my plan was to have a map made with several courses similar to those on jump_straight. my current plan is that participants would send in qualifier demos and be set to do a 1 on 1 race with those who had similar times to their own, whoever wins a course would advance to the next course/race. I'd love for there to be a community discussion as to how this idea could be improved upon, and i would greatly appreciate it if everyone who reads would vote in this poll.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:02:16 AM by SourceNick »

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile

False_

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile

cadence

• net_fakelag 30
    • View Profile
    • https://www.twitch.tv/teardrop_tf

Scorch

• View Profile
Nice. Maybe you can use the cross server sync plugin that's been developed for the toth races.

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile
Be kinda hard to get a race at a time where people from all over the world can participate at the same time
The Rat Master

Zike

• Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
This race is a good idea, but it could be even better if it was 12 hours long featuring a jump_when cam in the corner.

Larry

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile

Ladyboog

• Proficient
    • View Profile
    • ladyboog

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile
How I think this should work:
1) Release the map that will be ran on stream a week before the actual stream to allow runners to come up with strats and things
2) Have different regions do their own race (NA, EU, AU, etc)
        a downside would be that strats could be stolen, so earlier regions might have a disadvantage
3) A way to circumvent the stolen strats would be to have an additional race with the top 1/2 from each region compete in a final race with people from all regions. This would possible allow for every jumper to race at the same time as it is easier to find a time that fits everyone. Also, everyone now knows all the strats that the others used.
4) I feel this race should happen after all of offline BG5, because it bridge the gap between the offline runs deadline and the edits coming out.

Additional things
- For the race, record an stv demo so people can see others' strats (released after all regions are done)
- Hosts of the streams should be continuously switched out for different regions (so not the same people for all)
- Before the race, maybe have an instructional video as to what exactly the race is and what it entails.
- Have the stream on for a couple of hours before the scheduled race time to pick up some viewers (maybe spectate people on tempus speedrunning the map or an offline runner who allows for spectating)
- Have a sign-up posted somewhere specific to each region (be sure to post it EVERYWHERE so no one gets left out)
- Make a hype video
- If a lot of people sign up, maybe a region would need more than one race. If this is the case, spread out some of the more talented jumpers among both races so no single race is stacked.

Some of this might be confusing, as I didn't proofread anything. These were things that came off the top of my head for how this could work.
The Rat Master

donuttt

• Intermediate
  • hehe
    • View Profile
oh man that plan sounds glorious chuck.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:53:03 AM by donuttt »