jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

jump_hoi

HOI · 15 · 2557

HOI

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
3 short courses (5 jumps each) and 1 bonus. Harder than jump_yump, probably T4.
Uses my custom dev textures, Mikroscopic's arctic skybox and the font from aaa_oatsjumpreference.
Jump 6 might be too hard, 15 and 16 might be too easy.
Feedback appreciated! https://tf2maps.net/downloads/jump_hoi.5467/ https://gamebanana.com/maps/197608

generic

• Novice
  • eh?
    • View Profile
once I get home I'll give ya my full thoughts on it, but I appreciate the art style from the screen shots you got going on. It is aesthetically pleasing.

Ladyboog

• Proficient
    • View Profile
    • ladyboog
once I get home I'll give ya my full thoughts on it, but I appreciate the art style from the screen shots you got going on. It is aesthetically pleasing.
how fucking bored were you

generic

• Novice
  • eh?
    • View Profile
how fucking bored were you

I just finished a 10 hour shift of watching 6 year olds attempting to play ice hockey, so very.

generic

• Novice
  • eh?
    • View Profile
Alright, so to start off, idk how far you are in on it, so I'm gonna just mention whatever comes to mind. Sorry if I seem nitpicky. Also I didn't try to find bugs, so I won't be mentioning many if any.

Jump 1 is fine. I do feel like it is a bit of an underwhelming spawn. You don't need to do recall, but it would be nice if you added bigger starting area with a bit of nifty architecture or something. At least something to welcome gamers into the map. Makes the map feel claustrophobic as it is. In addition it also is kinda slow just having a pogo to start things off. Even if you only made the starting area bigger, you could do a speedshot and get things started faster if you desired.

Jump 2 is weird? might be the textures. Its fine though, just a different feeling timing for the speedshot. I like how you have a sync at the end; syncs after speedy stuffs are fun.

Jump 3 feels claustrophobic, tbh. I wouldn't mind seeing the plat you triple on made a bit bigger. In addition, I think the lack of a transparent texture makes this jump, and the map, feel a bit smaller. Maybe a soft type blueish glass texture with dev on it would both go with your map and open things up.

jump 4 I hate jurf. Otherwise its fine. Well done making the ramps.

jump5 feels hella awkward. You either do a normal rj, and feel slow on the ss, or do a ctap and have to do weird strafes. I would make the ss a little bit farther away, and also put it on a seperate plat. Make it so gamers would do a catch on the first plat and can then speedpogo off the second to the pogo bit! dunno

jump 6 is actually one of my favorite examples of multisyncs. They are well spaced out so you can kinda go your own speed. good job. It also isn't too hard, and fits in nicely.

jump 7 is really cool as well. It is visually interesting, and not braindead, you gotta be careful with the pogos sorta. Well done.

jump 8 is conflicting. Its well set up, but sync ss have always been run killers, and feel lucky. They are fun, but not really practical. Just know putting it in will probably put it in a similar tier to Babylon and destination; where people are not keen on running it.

jump 9 is too long to just wallpogo down... its a little boring, and frustrating for newer gamers. Ty for putting a bhop though. As a side note I would appreciate if you made it walk off. It was be nice if you hit a fat sync ss from the last jump, landed right on the edge and cleanly walked off for the bhop, vs having to jump and kinda waste time first. plus edgebugs would be sick. In addition you have to wallpogo waaaaay to high after. Get it high to make sure people can wallpogo right (maybe 700 ish units) and let them wallshot or something the rest of the way.

jump 10 I really like the yump b1 style of quint, with room for days and time to look up, vs this style, where it is tight. I would like if you did that, but not a big deal. Just I would advise making sure people have enough to time to look up and time it, vs having to blind quint instead. I feel like it doesn't really help them on other quints, and it would be neat if someone did a quint for the first time here, and was able to apply it to other maps. It is well spaced though, so well done there. Walk off and right when you hit the end of the plat its time to triple. Also I do like seeing how high one needs to go on quints, and think that the transparent texture would work well there as well.

jump 11 is fine, but feels too narrow. I want lots of room to get really fast, and though that makes it a little easier, right now it feels a bit too punishing.

jump 12 the space between the plats weirds me out here. Also I would like the ending plat right up against the wall, so people can use it as a reference point and won't go too far to not hit the triple. I know it kinda contridicts the aesthetic, but I believe its a good change.

jump 13 is cool, good idea. I would raise the height of the sync though and add splash at the top so people can more easily control the height so they can pogo after. Doesn't need to be a big enough strip to wallclimb on, just a little something so people don't go too high.

jump 14 is dope. Little confusing though, put a big ol arrow or something, as it is set up it seems like you strafe around the pillers, not climb them. It's easier then the rest, but also is fun, and a nice change up. maps doesn't need a perfect difficulty curve, and your jump fits nicely here.

jump 15.. is there a timing strat? i like how you have plenty of time to see the rockets though. I am bad at those jumps tho, so ill need to play it more before I decide if its good. As long as you can do it consistently, its good.

I am really fucking tired, so sorry how shitty this sorta is? hopefully I got you alright feedback. Also I think it's redudant putting pogo on every jump and such. You already have the colors, the one and done should be enough, and they should be able to tell with the color afterwards. Nice use of color btw, makes things clear.

?oss

nice map not a fan of these pogos after climbings ands syncs theories

jump 15.. is there a timing strat? i like how you have plenty of time to see the rockets though. I am bad at those jumps tho, so ill need to play it more before I decide if its good. As long as you can do it consistently, its good.
Looks way too similar to destination_v2 last for me

HOI

• View Profile
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I updated the map to version b9 and the new version can be found at the same gamebanana/tf2maps links as before, or here https://www.mediafire.com/file/skuyvf6v31yds62/jump_hoi_b9.bsp

Here's what I've done in this new version, or why I didn't do something:

1 - Underwhelming spawn, hard to start with speed
I added a small wall to the starting platform to make a speedy start easier (can start with fast speedpogo, telesync or maybe speedshot), but the spawn is still underwhelming and I haven't worked out how to fix that yet.

3 - Claustrophobic triple sync
I made the platform 50% larger, I don't really want to use transparent textures though as I'm struggling to make any that fit with the look of the map, and I think the larger sync platform fixes the problem.

5 - Awkward, should add a seperate platform for speedshotting on
I like 5, strafing is required for a ctap start but i don't personally think that's a bad thing and doing the speedshot on the starting platform helps make it sort of different. For speedrunning gamers it might be possible to triple over the sign after doing a big jurf and skip the jump altogether

8 - Speedshot syncs are unreliable for speedrunning
I don't want to remove this jump altogether as I think it fits in well, but you make a very good point about speedrunning. Do you think the addition of an alternative telesync and left wallshot strat would be a good idea?

9 - The wallpogo is too long and the bhop is not ideal
Fixed, but the upwards pogo is still long and since it's been reduced by a bit I don't think I'll change it. On a side note it might be possible to triple after doing a good speedshot sync and skip this jump completely, but I don't really know how realistic that is and I haven't done anything about it.

10 - Spacing is good but the jump does not give the player much time to look up
I'd rather keep it how it is, as the yump quint takes up loads of space and despite using the max map size I still don't have much spare room. I also like how the timing works.

11 - Too narrow
I could make a larger ramp but then I might run out of room due to it being easier to travel far, and having to time the speed up is what gives this jump it's difficulty rather than just big distance. It should be easily repeatable if the player start's gaining lots of speed at the correct position on the ring.

12 - Platform spacing is wierd, could make no space at end
In my opinion due to the splash on the final sync it's not worth moving the final platform closer to the end

13 - Add splash
Added splash as suggested

14 - Add arrow
Added arrows that kinda look ok

15 - Timing strat?
I think this is a timing strat
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yeah I don't really know how to make a jump like 15 without copying destination_v2 as the spacing works so well :c
P.S. pogos after other things are cool and I haven't got THAT many so I think I'll leave them how they are

TL;DR
- Added a wall to the back of the spawn platform to make it easier to get a speedy start
- Made the sync platform for 3 50% larger
- Made wallpogo on 9 shorter (which can now be bhopped after walking off)
- Made the sync higher on 13 and added a splash layer to the top
- Added arrows to 14 to make it more obvious where to go

Thanks again for the feedback, I hope you like the new version C:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:41:44 PM by HOI »

• Intermediate
  • bind space hud_reloadscheme
    • View Profile
    • CFG.TF
You can cheat a quint by pogoing around or a good speedshot.
I really love the textures btw

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PyroDuck

• Got Miluk?
    • View Profile
Really great map.
some nice TASing potential and great textures
i´d give it a 8/10
Why are you looking at this?

HOI

• View Profile
Thx for pointing out the issue with the quint clipping and the nice feedback.
Here is version RC1 with the following changes: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wnwb1waiizas3uc/jump_hoi_rc1.bsp
- Added more clipping to the quint to stop players from skipping it
- Made the cap point triggers taller
- Added overheal trigger to 15
- Added weird petal shapes to the spawn platform so that it looks a little different from others

Person

• View Profile
On jump 3, there's nothing stopping you from jumping to the side and falling under the map between the two triggers here https://imgur.com/a/TuFHh

HOI

• View Profile
On jump 3, there's nothing stopping you from jumping to the side and falling under the map between the two triggers here https://imgur.com/a/TuFHh
Thanks for finding that!

Here's version RC2 which fixes that and some minor things to do with the stage numbers https://www.mediafire.com/file/5i2z451yaxm4pi6/jump_hoi_rc2.bsp

Victor

• View Profile
the "1" on jump 13 is solid (eg you can stand on it and it blocks stickies)

HOI

• View Profile
Yikes I thought I fixed all of those
Edit: Here's RC3 which fixes that https://www.mediafire.com/file/6uoftggftfd0647/jump_hoi_rc3.bsp
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:09:10 PM by HOI »

HOI

• View Profile
I released the final version jump_hoi which includes some simplified clipping but nothing new.
The mediafire link is https://www.mediafire.com/file/7h45oq5rrfdxarn/jump_hoi.bsp