jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Speedshots, What are they and how do they work?

RNC1839 · 25 · 6639

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Are you sure that's the case? I'm just speculating, but my gut feeling is that the timescales are more lax than this. I imagine the 1 tick window would apply to the actual generation of a speedshot, however to the best of my understanding, the firing window would be larger due to the variety of aiming that can be used (more speed, more height), and also as stated earlier that the ground can be 0-2 units above ground.

I'm pretty sure that's the case, although I really haven't looked into how many windows there are or how long they are but if I can manage to write up a script in python or something I can really look into it with actual in game data. Where you aim would have an effect for sure and would probably just move the window based on where you aim.

And that just means that there are at least two 1 tick windows, but including aim there's a chance for I'd say up to four 1 tick windows, BUT this is with no testing or anything.

For bounces it makes sense that there is a 1 tick window because any more and you'll get reset, but that's not the case with speedshots.

Except with speedshots your horizontal speed gets reset to the class' max walking velocity 1 tick after the window for the speedshot. So every window for a normal (non-prefire) speedshot is 1 tick.

If I'm even close to right thinking this, it could also be that pre-fire speedshots are simply like bounces with more speed/height, and would also explain why having more speed/height makes it harder to time a speedshot because the amount of viable shots that land on the right tick would be reduced.

Pretty much, speedshots are harder from higher up simply because the rocket needs to catch up to you and hit the ground at the same time, which is tricky when you don't stop accelerating downwards.

That said, like bounces you can speedshot going 3500u/s downwards, but the timing needs to be perfect.
And I really really want to try that now.

Krocket

• Easily Surpassed
    • View Profile
I thought this was interesting.  No idea you could do a speedshot falling this fast.

Random foreign stream in background.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Indeed you can

So this supports the every speedshot having at least two 1 tick windows.

Jrecord stuff again: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1moAVB4DlNu_aFCOE0ObNSPdPN-WVbszSYvyF9eiZ1gc/edit#gid=1251580114

And this Jrecord info I've been getting is rather confusing.
On both of my 3500u/s speedshots there is 1 tick where zvel is 0 but for damn near every other speedshot I've recorded I don't get that.

Maybe, just maybe we've been wrong this whole time, and speedshots could have a 2 tick window. OR shit just gets weird at 3500u/s.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:20:26 PM by RNC1839 »

Krocket

• Easily Surpassed
    • View Profile
Indeed you can

I knew you could ss in general going that fast. I just thought it had to be prefired.

Lopez

• Intermediate
  • can't find his car keys
    • View Profile
Could it be that you were traveling with such high horizontal speed that it took multiple ticks to slow back down to 240u/s? So the speedshot could have a larger window for when you and the rocket hit the ground.
Or maybe it has to do with traveling downwards at max velocity. No idea.
ultimate hammer mapping tutorial here

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Could it be that you were traveling with such high horizontal speed that it took multiple ticks to slow back down to 240u/s? So the speedshot could have a larger window for when you and the rocket hit the ground.
Or maybe it has to do with traveling downwards at max velocity. No idea.

Nope.

Spoiler: Data (click to show/hide)

Like I said earlier there's a chance that all speedshots are actually 2 tick windows. Or shit just gets weird under these extreme conditions.

Lopez

• Intermediate
  • can't find his car keys
    • View Profile
Could it be that the force of a rocket exploding lasts 2 ticks? So it can hit before you and still have the same effect?
ultimate hammer mapping tutorial here

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
Seems like, even at max speed, a speedshot can't boost you behond a certain velocity (limit?), right? That's what I understand while watching your videos.
Which leads me to my next question : will it be possible to do multiple ss at max speed? And if it is, I'd love to see that in action.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Could it be that the force of a rocket exploding lasts 2 ticks? So it can hit before you and still have the same effect?

No the force only lasts 1 tick.

Seems like, even at max speed, a speedshot can't boost you behond a certain velocity (limit?), right? That's what I understand while watching your videos.
Which leads me to my next question : will it be possible to do multiple ss at max speed? And if it is, I'd love to see that in action.

yeah it looks like speedshots add either ~200u/s or some percentage of the speed going into it. It'd be hard but not impossible I guess.

The main problem with multiple speedshots at max vel is the timing. Because looking through the data for the 3500u/s speedshot V2 when I fire the rocket I was about 3.520508 units above the ground.

So really that kind of speedshot is lucky. And that kind of speedshot can happen if you are between 2-11 units because any higher and the rocket will take 1 more tick to hit the ground.