jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Random game crashes

altra · 11 · 1676

altra

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Basically I'll be jumping offline like normal, and randomly after about 30 minutes my game will crash and say

Engine Error
ED_Alloc: no free edicts

Anyone have a solution?

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile

altra

• View Profile

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
From what I can tell from 2 minutes of googling you somehow have too many entities in whatever map you're playing on.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Entity_limit

The only "fix" I can find is to put "-num_edicts 2047" into your launch options, which may or may not work... maybe.

Now the weird thing is that assuming you weren't spawning thousands of pumpkin bomb this should happen every time anyone loads the map.

altra

• View Profile
nope i tried that, btw this has happened on gm_bigcity and jump_over_beta and jump_carrot

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile
I'll pose the shit-tastic suggestion of defrag/verifying all your local files.

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile
what does that mean

It's like calling someone. In this case, calling AI to help. AI is like a master in the source engine with all the plugins and other stuff he has created, so I thought it would be good to try and get him to figure this out.

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
This happens when you have too many networked entities. Spawning tons of entities would potentially cause this but it shouldn't just happen if you aren't doing anything stupid. Not really sure how this could just happen out of the blue. Are you sure you aren't running any plugin or doing anything weird?

altra

• View Profile
I use Oatmeal's jump script and I dont spawn anything or do anything crazy.

However for some reason (this has been going on for a while) whenever I create my own server (map <mapname> in console) there will be a motd ad, and after the ad is over it brings me to a steam group called "Gray Man Gaming" or something like that. Which is the group that owns a dodge ball server I use to play on. I dont think an motd ad would do anything to make my game crash but if it does or if anyone knows how to fix/remove it that would be cool since its super annoying.

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
However for some reason (this has been going on for a while) whenever I create my own server (map <mapname> in console) there will be a motd ad, and after the ad is over it brings me to a steam group called "Gray Man Gaming" or something like that. Which is the group that owns a dodge ball server I use to play on.

You should clean up your 'custom' and 'download' folders, only keep what you really need (maps, huds, configs etc.) and delete everything else. Idk if it'll help on the specific crash problem you're getting but it'll surely help in some way later. :)

altra

• View Profile
i cleaned out my downloads folder and the ad went away, i still dont know about the crash though, havent jump offline long enough yet, thanks ploppy