Help with wall pogos

League · 14 · 3568

League

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • say drugs to no, kids
    • View Profile
Hello jump.tf,
               I have recently started getting into jumping and have loved it. I am learning more everyday and cant wait to see what i can do in the time to come. One thing has been on my mind lately and that is my control layout on my keyboard. I use CAPS lock to crouch and it is right next to my A button. When I am doing wall pogos (learning at least), I find it very hard/awkward to hold A while doing so. I have seen tutorials on youtube and I have heard people say that I should "press A to steer" in order to benefit my wall pogo jumps as I move around. I can press the d key of course and do so, but I'm worried that if I want to excel at jumping then pressing A will be required for wall pogos. Is this something that is required? Can I get away with not pressing A at all and D occasionally while just aiming my launcher slightly different directions?

Thanks in advance. :)
hmm

nick

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +2/-0
    • View Profile
you can learn to do stuff in a weird way but you'll have to teach yourself and its just an inconvenience to you

879m

• Proficient
    • Frags: +2/-0
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
If you are using a different finger to hold crouch than to push a, you'll be fine if you get used to it.

If you use the same finger then you should switch to using a different finger, since you will be holding crouch for most jumps and still need to push a.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
The question you should be asking is not if you can get away with not using A (which by the way realistically is a strong no unless you change your left strafe to another key), but if you can get away with using CAPS.. the answer is no. Change to SHIFT or CTRL to crouch. I use CTRL, but I'm sure most jumpers use SHIFT. It's possible to use CAPS, but you're making it so much harder on yourself for no reason. It's like saying it's possible to drive with a blindfold. Why would you?
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
default bindings work really well for jump

just saying

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
You can bind crouch to whatever you want, but if it's going to be on your left hand, you need to use your pinky. You have 5 fingers for a reason.

Shift and control are more comfortable for most people, and caps is kinda awkward.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
you can have a bind toggle for crouch if you really want

Kittles

• View Profile

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile

When did superchuck get here? xD
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

fishy

you can get away with using caps if you switch from wasd to esdf

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile

When did superchuck get here? xD
oooh kay buddy. Ill let this one slide since I know I'm not the only top jumper doing that.
The Rat Master

League

• Intermediate
  • say drugs to no, kids
    • View Profile
The question you should be asking is not if you can get away with not using A (which by the way realistically is a strong no unless you change your left strafe to another key), but if you can get away with using CAPS.. the answer is no. Change to SHIFT or CTRL to crouch. I use CTRL, but I'm sure most jumpers use SHIFT. It's possible to use CAPS, but you're making it so much harder on yourself for no reason. It's like saying it's possible to drive with a blindfold. Why would you?

So ideally, I should be using shift to crouch and my pinky for that button? The rest should follow suite?
hmm

protist ?

• Novice
  • *floats around aimlessly*
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Whatever way your binds are set up, it really just comes down to practice. You just kinda gotta get a feel for it... focus on what your fingers are doing IRL and then try to change things until you get into a balance.

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile
You can bind crouch to whatever you want, but if it's going to be on your left hand, you need to use your pinky. You have 5 fingers for a reason.

Shift and control are more comfortable for most people, and caps is kinda awkward.

I've always used my pointer finger on w, thumb on d, middle finger on a, ring finger on tab to crouch and then mouse2 to jump.