jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Beginner needing help and much much practice!

??The Last Frontier

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hi

First I read the beginner thread pinned above and tried to download the maps but it seems missing. This link here

https://lounge.jumpacademy.tf/bg5/maps.rar

Second I have been playing for quite some time now but have always hated both soldier and demo for the most part as I have never had a clue on how to move around except the normal forward, backward, left, right and normal jumping. But recently I started playing the characters alittle as an alternative when I felt the team needed a demo or soldier but needless to say I suck at any of the fun jumping.

For the life of me I just can not rocket jump forward. I might move a little forward but even some of the basic small gaps on the jumping maps that are in the servers I can't even clear.

I have watched a number of videos and I understand what the user is indicating but when it comes time to do it myself UGH total failure.

Whats the best soldier and also demoman tutorials out here that can get me moving forward? (Video preferable as I can see and hear what the user is doing unless of course a text and image page does it even better)

Thanks!

Diabolical

• View Profile
Hello new jumper.
First, based on my knowledge without looking up what that link actually is - I think bg5 is not beginner maps, it is beginnings maps (big difference). 6 or 7 maps designed for a speed jumping competition that occurs about every year. Most of those maps aren't actually easy to complete.
Next, for jumping tutorials, I don't think they are that useful except if you are completely starting from scratch (which you are it seems)
The 2 Natefox videos will give you the basics that you can expect from online tutorials

From my experience the best way to learn jumping is to first know exactly what you need to do by watching someone else play, then spend hours of practice to finally develop that skill yourself. This happens quite naturally if you join the many still populated jump servers around the world. The biggest and most developed jumping community is located on the Tempus severs where you will find brand new jumpers, up to the very best in the entire world
https://tempus.xyz
Most people here will be very helpful and you can tell their overall skill level based on their public jumping rank.

But if you have no desire to get to know the community then I suggest going on some of the easiest maps and grinding it out by yourself. Jump_academy, jump_beef, jump_rush, jump_beyond and jump_freezeflame are some of the basic easy maps I suggest to download and play first.

Finally, outside of the Tempus servers there are other jumping communities that have a very useful feature for learning. It is a jump bot that you can spectate instead of watching other experienced jumpers. I personally used this bot to learn from before I joined Tempus.

vice

• Intermediate
  • im shit at jumping
    • View Profile
Hello new jumper.
First, based on my knowledge without looking up what that link actually is - I think bg5 is not beginner maps, it is beginnings maps (big difference). 6 or 7 maps designed for a speed jumping competition that occurs about every year. Most of those maps aren't actually easy to complete.
Next, for jumping tutorials, I don't think they are that useful except if you are completely starting from scratch (which you are it seems)
The 2 Natefox videos will give you the basics that you can expect from online tutorials

From my experience the best way to learn jumping is to first know exactly what you need to do by watching someone else play, then spend hours of practice to finally develop that skill yourself. This happens quite naturally if you join the many still populated jump servers around the world. The biggest and most developed jumping community is located on the Tempus severs where you will find brand new jumpers, up to the very best in the entire world
https://tempus.xyz
Most people here will be very helpful and you can tell their overall skill level based on their public jumping rank.

But if you have no desire to get to know the community then I suggest going on some of the easiest maps and grinding it out by yourself. Jump_academy, jump_beef, jump_rush, jump_beyond and jump_freezeflame are some of the basic easy maps I suggest to download and play first.

Finally, outside of the Tempus servers there are other jumping communities that have a very useful feature for learning. It is a jump bot that you can spectate instead of watching other experienced jumpers. I personally used this bot to learn from before I joined Tempus.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk