Welcome B)

Ctap bounces

nolem · 2 · 1724

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
TL;DR: YOU CAN DO CTAP BOUNCES WITH CROUCH JUMPS JUST REVERSE THE UNCROUCH/CROUCH- ACTUALLY PROBABLY NOT IT DOESNT WORK

While working on my bounce plugin, I determined something weird about ctap bounces and ctaps in general. The ctap bounces that were calculated by Jamien used one specific set of height/velocity values, but from my testing, it looks like there may be two or more possible outcomes from a ctap as far as bouncing is concerned. Basically, on jumps like tx_final 6, where the spreadsheet and bcheck tell you uncrouched ctap and nothing else, if you vary your crouch/jump timings a little bit, it is also possible with a crouched ctap bounce. I think I have an idea as to why this might happen, but I have to do some more testing and math before I can say for sure.

I would like to give a shoutout to my shitty inconsistent ctaps - without them I never would have discovered this.

For info about my bounce plugin and more on the ctap bounces look here: http://tf2rj.com/forum/index.php?topic=745.0
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:24:55 PM by talkingmelon »

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
So I tried to figure some more things out, and I think I have it figured out for the most part. So from what I tried with the method to see keypresses (see below), I get one type of ctap when I jump before I press -duck and another when I jump after. In other words, I was crouch jumping, and my ctaps are so shitty that I couldn't tell half the time. Jumping after uncrouch results in height values 20 units below when you would jump before the uncrouch. 20 units is the distance your feet (origin) come up when you crouch in the air, and I am 100% sure I haven't been holding crouch in the air.

In other words, crouch jumps have an entirely different set of bounce heights than anything else.

I also wanted to test if the model clipped in the ground briefly during one and not the other, but I had a pretty difficult time because it didn't me issuing the wait command even though I had it enabled, and would give me varying results. For the jump before uncrouch set, I identified a possible place that would be 20 units below the ground that could be the start of the jump but I really have no idea - I was just trying stuff out.

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mD6jceuKZV3jk9sPfeVces20yY3EB64Ox8gGFeFA9nY/pubhtml
Thread: http://teamfortress.tv/thread/5590/repost-see-player-keypresses-when-watching-a-dem

Edit: After a night of experimenting with Rob, we determined that crouchjump crouched has the same values as ctap uncrouched, and crouchjump uncrouched has the same values as ctap crouched. Rob will be putting this on tempus bcheck even though they are the same values as ctaps just switched between crouched and uncrouched.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:37:10 AM by talkingmelon »