Welcome B)

Ctaping without ctaping.

RNC1839 · 20 · 5977

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I BROKE THE GAME!

I was playing around with slow mo more, and I found that you can reach at least 690 units without a "ctap".

Now this is technically a ctap in the sense that you tap crouch but it's very different from the conventional ctap. Honestly I'm surprised no one has found this on accident yet.

How to:
tick 1: crouch + fire
tick 2: uncrouch + jump
tick 3: FLY

Video:

Demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24673875/demos/noctap_ctap.dem

I've also found that you can reach 689 very easily as well, so this new ctap isn't frame perfect at least for crouching everything else still is.
tick 1: crouch
tick 2: crouch
tick 3: crouch + fire
tick 4: uncrouch + jump
tick 5: FLY but not as high

BQE

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Interesting.  I don't see it having any practical applications aside from jumping straight up, as most places where ctapping gives you an advantage require forward movement.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Yeah this is pretty much entirely useless. There's only 1 jump on any map that has a ctap higher than 640 and that's the squared bonus (i'm not sure how to count Duey or 4starters F1). I just thought it was neat even though it's really only useful for TAS stuff.

Krocket

• Easily Surpassed
    • View Profile
Interesting.  I don't see it having any practical applications aside from jumping straight up, as most places where ctapping gives you an advantage require forward movement.

So, a normal ctap will go further horizontally than this form? Furthest I could get doing it this way was ~1400 but I didn't try too long.

Apparently you can get 1452 according to Combustion but I haven't gotten close to that with scripted ctaps that would get 691 vertically so idk what he's doing differently.

Anyone have actual numbers for default, ctap, and not ctap-ctap max distances?

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile

So, a normal ctap will go further horizontally than this form? Furthest I could get doing it this way was ~1400 but I didn't try too long.

Apparently you can get 1452 according to Combustion but I haven't gotten close to that with scripted ctaps that would get 691 vertically so idk what he's doing differently.

Anyone have actual numbers for default, ctap, and not ctap-ctap max distances?

Yeah I have no idea what this will do for horizontal (because I haven't tried yet). I want to say that horizontal ctaps have slightly different timing, but I don't know of a perfect horizontal ctap script so I can't fully look at it in as much detail as I would like. So I may just have to make my own sometime.

And for max vertical numbers:
jump+crouch+fire 576
fire - wait 1 - jump+crouch 627
perfect regular ctap 691
new "ctap" 690

The second one works because it takes 2 ticks for the rocket to exist and then blow up when pointing straight down. So by waiting that 1 extra tick before jumping you magically gain 51 units.

Again I don't know horizontal maxes yet. But I will trust combustion with his 1452, even though that's ~100 farther than I've ever managed.

And there are many more possible permutations of those 3 inputs. Which talkingmelon should be looking into tomorrow-ish. He's doing a lot of work behind the scenes.

Dystopia

• View Profile
What if you waited 2 ticks instead of 1 for the second one, would that get you higher or would the rocket explode before you jump?

Krocket

• Easily Surpassed
    • View Profile
Yeah I have no idea what this will do for horizontal (because I haven't tried yet). I want to say that horizontal ctaps have slightly different timing, but I don't know of a perfect horizontal ctap script so I can't fully look at it in as much detail as I would like. So I may just have to make my own sometime.

And for max vertical numbers:
jump+crouch+fire 576
fire - wait 1 - jump+crouch 627
perfect regular ctap 691
new "ctap" 690

The second one works because it takes 2 ticks for the rocket to exist and then blow up when pointing straight down. So by waiting that 1 extra tick before jumping you magically gain 51 units.

Again I don't know horizontal maxes yet. But I will trust combustion with his 1452, even though that's ~100 farther than I've ever managed.

And there are many more possible permutations of those 3 inputs. Which talkingmelon should be looking into tomorrow-ish. He's doing a lot of work behind the scenes.

I can do the "new" ctap 691 every time with the original and a simple script.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
What if you waited 2 ticks instead of 1 for the second one, would that get you higher or would the rocket explode before you jump?
That would cause the rocket to explode right as you jump, which in theory would send you slightly higher I didn't see any real difference in my testing.

I can do the "new" ctap 691 every time with the original and a simple script.
Awesome!

So what that basically means is that you don't need to get ~11 units into the ground to preform a max height ctap. All of this extra speed has to come from the uncrouch itself. Unless of course crouching for 1 tick sends you ~11 units into the ground.

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
I'm going to try doing a little scripting to try and figure out some of this stuff - won't have time till Wednesday though

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
I wrote a quick little plugin to test this typa stuff and record it in a spreadsheet. Commands are !rec (starts recording), !st (stops recording), and !tog (toggles recording). It outputs a csv file (spreadsheet) to your sourcemod installation directory that saves position, velocity, angles, as well as jump, crouch, and attack button presses. The code is shit and it wont work if more than 1 person is trying to use it, so don't do that.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/42wibstpp6u1se9/JRecord.rar

Krocket

• Easily Surpassed
    • View Profile
Can we actually call this jump something? Can't think of a name for it.

Oatmeal

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Can we actually call this jump something? Can't think of a name for it.

Yes, name it after me.

obsidiian

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
I don't think that you go into the ground when you ctap because I set up a test map with a teleport under the ground and then ctapped and I didn't get teleported.  I've always thought that the extra power from a ctap comes from being closer to the rocket because it takes time to fully crouch.

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
I don't think that you go into the ground when you ctap because I set up a test map with a teleport under the ground and then ctapped and I didn't get teleported.  I've always thought that the extra power from a ctap comes from being closer to the rocket because it takes time to fully crouch.
You also hit the teleport with a bounce, so it's possible.