jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Ctaping without ctaping.

RNC1839 · 20 · 5976

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Can we actually call this jump something? Can't think of a name for it.
Everyone I've told about it wants me to name it the RNCtap because I "discovered" it, but I kinda think that's dumb.

I don't think that you go into the ground when you ctap because I set up a test map with a teleport under the ground and then ctapped and I didn't get teleported.  I've always thought that the extra power from a ctap comes from being closer to the rocket because it takes time to fully crouch.
Like I said somewhere now I think that it's entirely because you somehow gain extra Zvel while uncrouching, but that's a bit hard to say give that a ctap will give you 277u/s when you jump, and a regular crouch jump will also give that number. Or it's possible that the player's collision box goes down much faster than we previously thought, which sounds more likely. Or some weird combo because with a perfect ctap you are uncrouching.

And I believe the 11 unit thing came from someone potentially misunderstanding what Jamien said many moons ago on the subject. But I don't fully know.

"The way a ctap works is when you crouch your collision box is made shorter and when you jump at the exact same moment when it changes it pushes your jump down closer to the ground than just normally pressing space. specifically it makes you jump 11 units shorter than a normal jump (without any rockets)."

http://backup.jump.tf/forums/forums.tf2jump.com/index.php/topic%2c1255.msg8988.html#msg8988

I'll try and look into it some more tonight with jrecord and post what I get.

Krocket

• Easily Surpassed
    • View Profile
Can we actually call this jump something? Can't think of a name for it.

Yes, name it after me.

"I just oatmealed 691 units!"

I'm okay with RNCtap I guess. Doesn't roll off the tongue very well tho.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:02:43 PM by Krocket »

QuBA

• View Profile
Now this is technically a ctap in the sense that you tap crouch but it's very different from the conventional ctap. Honestly I'm surprised no one has found this on accident yet.

How to:
tick 1: crouch + fire
tick 2: uncrouch + jump
tick 3: FLY

Ok wtf.
Thats literally just a ctap. I dont even get whats supposed to be different here...

I've always thought that the extra power from a ctap comes from being closer to the rocket because it takes time to fully crouch.

Youre closer to the rocket because ctapping lets you jump from a crouched state.

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
Now this is technically a ctap in the sense that you tap crouch but it's very different from the conventional ctap. Honestly I'm surprised no one has found this on accident yet.

How to:

Ok wtf.
Thats literally just a ctap. I dont even get whats supposed to be different here...
Haha, it actually is... Why didn't I see that?

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile

How to:

Ok wtf.

The difference is that it's just 1 tick of chrouching, But apparently that may be unimportant.
Basically I just thought that the perfect ctap required crouching for like 5 ticks or so, then the rest of it. But it seems that the important thing is uncrouching and jumping at the same time, so really you could crouch for as long as it takes to be considered crouched by the game (minus 1 tick) and it won't matter. I think.