jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Speedshots at high speeds

Josh24 · 17 · 4239

Josh24

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Whenever I'm moving at high horizontal speeds (such as Jump4starters D last or F6), I have lots of trouble of getting a speedshot.

On normal speedshots, I usually have to shoot slightly before I land. So when I'm moving really fast, I think shooting early causes the rocket to hit too late. Is there a limit to how fast you can move when doing a speedshot?

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
Not really, although they get a lot harder at high speeds. See the speedshots from the TAS run from Casual at 1:00

internal

• Novice
    • View Profile
you can always brake with S before doing the speedshot in most maps, and dont forget to flick the mouse forward after you shoot, most people dont know this but it helps a lot

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
dont forget to flick the mouse forward after you shoot, most people dont know this but it helps a lot

I do it but I don't know if it actually helps. And if it does, any proof or explanation ?

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
I'd love to know the explanation of flicking your mouse too

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
I dont see any reason why flicking would work. Other than it's easier to see your surrounding and judge speed etc.

internal

• Novice
    • View Profile
i dont have any technical explanation to give u guys i´m no stats and values guy, but i´ve always assumed its just the way the engine works, u look/aim to where you want to go, so after shooting the rocket u flick your mouse to look ahead and consequently go forward, i´m not sure if this is the valid explanation, but i do know that flicking helps when u get the hang of it to be more consistent

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Flicking puts the rocket further behind you because you aim further down. You gain more horiz vel at the cost of vert vel.
So for continuous speedshots on a flat plane don't flick after the second or third speedshot.

Also having done no specific testing I think the max velocity where speedshots become entirely impossible is somewhere around 2500u/s.

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
If you get a chance, give the speedshots a try again with SyncR.

While not an intended use of the landing predictor, the ring can be used to aim for speedshots.  I have tried this for normal speedshots on an Australian server with 230 ping and get them pretty consistently by aiming just a bit below the ring.

Rob123

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I'm yet to see any real proof or evidence that flicking up after speedshots gives more speed. Of course it's still useful to see where you're going after the shot, but your players velocity is definitely separate from your viewing angles on the z-axis.

In terms of the actual question, as with most of jumping, it comes down to practice and experimentation. Good luck

Balls

• Novice
    • View Profile
I'm yet to see any real proof or evidence that flicking up after speedshots gives more speed. Of course it's still useful to see where you're going after the shot, but your players velocity is definitely separate from your viewing angles on the z-axis.

I have wondered the same, but the effect on pogo is really quite noticeable and I'm not sure why that would be either. I personally find I'm more reliable with speedshots when I don't flick up. Pogo seems to really benefit from flicking up though, and I don't know of a good explanation for that either.

twibright

• View Profile

I have wondered the same, but the effect on pogo is really quite noticeable and I'm not sure why that would be either. I personally find I'm more reliable with speedshots when I don't flick up. Pogo seems to really benefit from flicking up though, and I don't know of a good explanation for that either.

I think it's more on rocket placement rather than the mouse flicking that gives you the speed. You can still go fast in a short time without flicking up if you know where to aim your rockets, give it a shot. Though it is especially harder since you're mostly just looking at the ground. Same thing goes for speedshots. Just aim and shoot correctly and you'll be fine.

Torii

• Intermediate
  • Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
    • View Profile

I think it's more on rocket placement rather than the mouse flicking that gives you the speed. You can still go fast in a short time without flicking up if you know where to aim your rockets, give it a shot. Though it is especially harder since you're mostly just looking at the ground. Same thing goes for speedshots. Just aim and shoot correctly and you'll be fine.

Pretty much this. I don't like to flick up very often doing slow pogos and I can do perfectly good speedpogos or speedshots without them, it's all about the rocket placement, really. However, if you feel like you jump better flicking up, by all means do it. It shouldn't negatively affect your jumping whatsoever unless it messes up a strafe.

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile
Not really, although they get a lot harder at high speeds. See the speedshots from the TAS run from Casual at 1:00

So it's pretty much impossible to do that sort of speedshot at that speed if it's a Bunny Hop?

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile

So it's pretty much impossible to do that sort of speedshot at that speed if it's a Bunny Hop?
??? I dont understand