jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Unranked Permissions on Advanced Servers

SALSAA · 52 · 7284

Poll

Should unranked/low ranked users have the option to rtv on advanced servers?

Yes
No opinion/I don't know
No

SALSAA

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • pipetrick connoisseur
    • View Profile
So...
Just recently Bobby Johnson and I were running sync, and several unranked players came along. They were screwing around and I had gotten to jump 23 and died, but bobby got there soon after. They got bored, and because of that, they all rtved, and with one or two other players, they managed to vote out the map, which really pissed me off. This isn't the first time that unranked players have voted off players. Plus, at that rate, bobby was going to get a possible 16 minute run.
Because of these incidences, what I am proposing is a certain limitation of unranked players permissions. What I think would best fit is the following:
  • I think that unranks, first off, shouldn't get priority on full advanced servers so they get kicked off first on full servers.
  • I, and several others, believe that they shouldn't have the power to rtv on advanced servers.
  • And to give an approximation of when they should be able to receive these permissions is if they are able to acquire ~250 points overall. Once they earn 250 points, then they can have these permissions.
  • In order to explain why the unranked users can not rtv, there should be occasional server announcements about it, and whenever a user with below 250 points types rtv, they will get a message saying something like "You can not rtv until you have 250 points of above on the advanced server. If there is no players above 250 points on, then you may rtv.
  • And as mentioned above, if there aren't any users with above 250 points on an advanced server, then they will be able to rtv.
I was going to do it by ranks, but rank competition for ranks may get rougher over time.
I would greatly appreciate if any of these ideas would be implemented.
-From SALSA/GR1ND and Melon | jump.tf
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:44:02 PM by SALSA »
Why do you read this like it doesn't even matter just read my message its probably more important

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
I agree to most of this. I think it would be helpful to both begginers and advanced players to bar unranked jumpers from entering advanced servers. Usually when an unranked player joins the advanced server they end up being redirected to the begginer servers anyway. How it usually goes is they will ask for help with one of the earlier jumps, then soon get to a jump that is far beyond their abilities. At this point I let them know that there is a begginer server, to which they respond "I thought this was the begginer server" and then pomptly hop servers.

However, I dont think there should be a point minimum to get into the advanced server. Often a new jumper will have to invest quite a significant amount of time to beat their first map. By that time most jumpers are usually familiar with things such as server commands, tier difficulty and speedrunning. Also, several begginer jumpers perfer to always jump with regen on. I've seen multiple competent jumpers enter the advanced server with little to no points and beat tier 4 and 5 maps with regen on. Having no points requirement other than being ranked means that those jumpers wont have to grind maps in order to join the advanced server.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
yeah honestly, i've had this issue before where unranked / low-ranked players (1000ish) come into the server and decide to rtv once they realize that a t3 map is too hard for them. i was the only other person on the server at the time, and was hoping to get a map completion but had to forfeit it because the low rankers wanted to play something else (funny enough, they rtv'd to a t5 jump map and quit 5 minutes later after i called them out on it).

I don't think we need to stop them from entering the advanced servers from giving them less priority or stopping them from joining at all-- just have them count for half a vote (maybe only if higher ranking players are on it (300+ maybe?) . I still believe in first come first serve for all servers, just some benefits for higher ranking jumpers that don't detract from play (tl;dr NO queue priority & essentially private server (how will they spec and learn??), yes vote weighting)

SALSAA

• Intermediate
  • pipetrick connoisseur
    • View Profile
yeah honestly, i've had this issue before where unranked / low-ranked players (1000ish) come into the server and decide to rtv once they realize that a t3 map is too hard for them. i was the only other person on the server at the time, and was hoping to get a map completion but had to forfeit it because the low rankers wanted to play something else (funny enough, they rtv'd to a t5 jump map and quit 5 minutes later after i called them out on it).

I don't think we need to stop them from entering the advanced servers from giving them less priority or stopping them from joining at all-- just have them count for half a vote (maybe only if higher ranking players are on it (300+ maybe?) . I still believe in first come first serve for all servers, just some benefits for higher ranking jumpers that don't detract from play (tl;dr NO queue priority & essentially private server (how will they spec and learn??), yes vote weighting)
Okay, well I will say that thats the reason why I wasn't very confident in the idea of restricting them from the advanced server. I just improvised the queue priority idea because I thought that if there were like 15 unranks on an advanced server and 12 high ranked skilled players wanted to join to potentially get a world record or top time, then I was thinking it may be a problem. I see where you are coming from, and the possibility of that happening is close to 0 now that I think of it. Thanks for your thought on this.
Why do you read this like it doesn't even matter just read my message its probably more important

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
My take on it is
if they want to rtv on beginner that's okay
if they want to rtv on advanced
no
no
no
they should have to get a certain number of points, say 500 or any other choice
then they can VOTE
rtv shouldnt be given for a while, like rank 300 or below
im seriously tired of getting kicked off by someone who joins, votes for squared, and leaves
i think johns idea is good, if theres only 1 or two people running a map they should have seniority but no perks to avoid bullshit
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:22:34 PM by Melon »

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • View Profile
Okay, well I will say that thats the reason why I wasn't very confident in the idea of restricting them from the advanced server. I just improvised the queue priority idea because I thought that if there were like 15 unranks on an advanced server and 12 high ranked skilled players wanted to join to potentially get a world record or top time, then I was thinking it may be a problem. I see where you are coming from, and the possibility of that happening is close to 0 now that I think of it. Thanks for your thought on this.

from what i've seen ever since jump iT died none of the jump servers ever stay full for more than like 5 minutes or something
plus if it's the adv server the beginners are going to quit within 5 minutes anyways

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile

from what i've seen ever since jump iT died none of the jump servers ever stay full for more than like 5 minutes or something
plus if it's the adv server the beginners are going to quit within 5 minutes anyways
problem is when they quit they take you with them
fucks everyone up

Balls

• Novice
    • View Profile
I was online briefly at that point you were talking about. I had to AFK in the end but I was worried they were going to kick you off, which evidently they did. I rarely RTV on Tempus Advanced out of respect for the (usually) far better jumpers who are pushing boundaries - if I want to play an easier map there's a ton of other servers.

I think something like this would be a good idea, but perhaps disallowing them ve is a little harsh? Most people are only going to know about ve if they have been to Tempus before, and if they actually want to continue playing they could very well be capable. Most RTVs seem to be because people can't do one of the very early jumps.

FLUX+

• I have bonus WRs
    • View Profile
I think some restrictions would be a brilliant idea. Far too often I find myself a few jumps away from the end of a map just to have some low ranked/unranked players join the server, change the map, and then leave after about 5 minutes once they find the new map is just as hard as the last one.

I don't think we should bar new players from the ADV server though, that would just be inhibiting players from potentially trying out a map or pushing their boundaries. I do think that there should be a rank or point cut off for things like RTV and voting for new maps. I would say probably something around 250 points is good. At that point, I think it's safe to say they're familiar with tempus and speed running and all that.
Bonus world records matter

Shunix

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Considering how alot of the players in the top50 with a bunch of completion are just as bad as some of the unranked players i dont see how this would be helpful at all. its just something you have to deal with when jumping online

Triga

• Intermediate
  • Vexon stole two of my jumps!
    • View Profile
LOL I was there that was pretty funny

+ Maybe Plebian or under their rtv, ve and map nomination should count as one half of a vote
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:09:21 PM by Triga -tt »
The creator of multiple critically acclaimed maps ....

░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░█▄ █░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒█ ░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░ Representing London

SALSAA

• Intermediate
  • pipetrick connoisseur
    • View Profile
Considering how alot of the players in the top50 with a bunch of completion are just as bad as some of the unranked players i dont see how this would be helpful at all. its just something you have to deal with when jumping online
You can't be as unskilled as a plebian if you have like 80% completion, because you obviously pushed and got most T4 and below maps, plus I don't think you know how it feels when unranks join, discover how hard this map is, vote another map on, and leave after seeing that the map they voted was just as hard, and its especially frustrating when you are running a T6 map and you have a really good run.
LOL I was there that was pretty funny

+ Maybe Plebian or under their rtv, ve and map nomination should count as one half of a vote
To be honest, I don't think that just plebian and under would do it. I could literally do like 2 maps and get beyond a plebian rank. 250 points or so shows that you are somewhat skilled and definitely underlines your dedication.
I guess that I can say that banning low ranked players from a server is definitely a no, for lots of good reasons.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • View Profile

except the bad people in top 50 spend an extended amount of time on each map to beat it
which means that they probably know how it feels to be rtv'd during a "run." not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here.

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile
Anything over Pleb should be able to rtv.

So if new people just join and try and rtv, then they'll just leave and won't bother us unless they actaully take the time to get to pleb and then be assholes.