jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Unranked Permissions on Advanced Servers

SALSAA · 52 · 7287

Poll

Should unranked/low ranked users have the option to rtv on advanced servers?

Yes
No opinion/I don't know
No

Rob123

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Thanks for the thread and comments. It's something that's popped up a fair few times, but I've been hesitant to go down the road of different power levels for users. I'm also not 100% convinced this will do too much. I think there's a general culture with lots of jumpers to RTV too easily, which I'd say persists across a lot of the ranks. There's also those that RTV to get on someone's nerve or just with no consideration of others. These issues are pretty hard to address.

That being said, there are obviously some issues with the way it stands, so we will be taking a look at this. Potentially giving it a go with just ranked vs. unranked for certain voting powers.

A couple general thoughts I have:
  • Needs to be clear and consistent for the unranked users why they can't vote or rtv etc.
  • We don't want to block them from joining the server
  • If there are no ranked players on the server, they should have normal power

We're currently making changes to get Tempus compatible with the latest version of Source Python (Which hopefully means less crashes), so we will have to see about trying the above out before or after that.

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Anything over Pleb should be able to rtv.

So if new people just join and try and rtv, then they'll just leave and won't bother us unless they actaully take the time to get to pleb and then be assholes.

Wut

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
It would also be nice if you took away voting power from people who are idle. It becomes annoying if you can't change or extend a map because a bunch of people are afk.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
It would also be nice if you took away voting power from people who are idle. It becomes annoying if you can't change or extend a map because a bunch of people are afk.

this also. +1 fooshie
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

Rob123

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
We already do that. After 10 min of no key presses or chat, they are marked as idle and ignored in votes, RTV and ve

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile
Ban rank 300+ players who try to rtv

this establishes dominance

pardinensis

• View Profile
A well placed notification that this server is a competitive jump server might help, paired with references to the beginners servers and a "Please be considerate!". I think that most new people just don't know/understand what speedrunning a map means.

Additionally I'd lower the threshhold for VEs. It's quite useful when the map gets changed by a regular vote and you are told afterwards that someone's doing a speedrun or almost completed the map.

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
We already do that. After 10 min of no key presses or chat, they are marked as idle and ignored in votes, RTV and ve

I didn't notice the change. Ty rob i <3 u

SALSAA

• Intermediate
  • pipetrick connoisseur
    • View Profile
A well placed notification that this server is a competitive jump server might help, paired with references to the beginners servers and a "Please be considerate!". I think that most new people just don't know/understand what speedrunning a map means.

Additionally I'd lower the threshhold for VEs. It's quite useful when the map gets changed by a regular vote and you are told afterwards that someone's doing a speedrun or almost completed the map.
Thanks for the thread and comments. It's something that's popped up a fair few times, but I've been hesitant to go down the road of different power levels for users. I'm also not 100% convinced this will do too much. I think there's a general culture with lots of jumpers to RTV too easily, which I'd say persists across a lot of the ranks. There's also those that RTV to get on someone's nerve or just with no consideration of others. These issues are pretty hard to address.

That being said, there are obviously some issues with the way it stands, so we will be taking a look at this. Potentially giving it a go with just ranked vs. unranked for certain voting powers.

A couple general thoughts I have:
  • Needs to be clear and consistent for the unranked users why they can't vote or rtv etc.
  • We don't want to block them from joining the server
  • If there are no ranked players on the server, they should have normal power

We're currently making changes to get Tempus compatible with the latest version of Source Python (Which hopefully means less crashes), so we will have to see about trying the above out before or after that.
From this, I have a few things to say.
-First off, this is only on the advanced server, so low ranked players will have full regular permissions on beginner servers.
-I will add in the original post something regarding placing a notification about why low ranked players can't rtv.
-I will add low ranked users getting full permissions on servers if there are only users with 250 points or below on the server.
-Now that I think about it, I am going to undo the idea of prohibiting voteextend, because as mentioned, users may have not realized somebody was running and wanted to voteextend to the users benefit.
Thanks for all the critique! Hopefully this idea will become a feature in the near future.
Why do you read this like it doesn't even matter just read my message its probably more important

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile

most shitty unranked literally cant read
they wont care about a notification
they dont even know what the word considerate means
so no

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
so no

10 points for melon
0 points for gryffindor
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

FLUX+

• I have bonus WRs
    • View Profile

so no

I agree. Most people who play tf2 are illiterate 12 year olds.
Bonus world records matter

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile

so no

HEY!, I am an illiterate 11 yr old D:
The Rat Master

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile

so no

Hey im grump

SALSAA

• Intermediate
  • pipetrick connoisseur
    • View Profile
Anyone have any more suggestions to make?

so no

Hey im grump
Tbh the TF2 Community isn't as bad as the minecraft community or the CoD community. It's just illiterate 8 years old who cries when just one thing in their perfect world goes wrong.
Why do you read this like it doesn't even matter just read my message its probably more important