jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Crouch key and detonation key bind help

ys · 17 · 3936

ys

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hey guys.

I'm trying to work out what would be a good crouch key and detonation key for me on Demoman.

For soldier, i use mouse2 for crouch, and that works out great for me. The problem is, i played a lot of TF2 with the crouchjump script on most classes except for some, like soldier. I never really manually crouched with other classes, like demoman (I know, i suck, crouchjump script is bad for you and a crutch, etc).

I want to start jumping with Demoman properly and I've been trying to find keys i can bind crouch and det to that i feel comfortable with, but i can't seem to find it. I know a lot of people use shift, or other keys around that area for crouch, but i never use my pinky in gaming, I'm not used to it at all and I've tried playing like that, but i can't seem to do it, it feels too unnatural.

I tried changing the crouch key to mouse2 on demoman, like i have with soldier. And i put attack2 (sticky detonation) on the 'r' key. This worked out pretty well, but was a huge crutch in the end since i couldn't hit the  'd' key while detonating, which results in me being pretty limited when it comes to strafing and playing demo in real matches. So, that didn't really work out.

So this post is mainly asking for advice on what you guys might think could be a good detonation key or crouch key on demoman for me. I'd really appreciate any help you guys have to offer, thank you.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
CTRL for crouch, right mouse for detonations. ez

It's all muscle memory. If you play with your pinky long enough, it will feel right. Just gotta get through that awkward stage. It's whatcha get for using a crutch that'll eventually backfire on ya ;D
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

ys

• View Profile
CTRL for crouch, right mouse for detonations. ez

It's all muscle memory. If you play with your pinky long enough, it will feel right. Just gotta get through that awkward stage. It's whatcha get for using a crutch that'll eventually backfire on ya ;D

I really don't think i can use my pinky though. My keyboard is pretty weird and it's hard to reach in the first place. So it's pretty tough to pull off. I've also never in my gaming life used my pinky, except for trying out demo jumping. But I'll try and give it another shot, it can't hurt.

Thanks

879m

• Proficient
    • Frags: +2/-0
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
Using pinky is ideal since you have your other fingers free to strafe at all times. If you have a thumb button you could use that I guess.

Torii

• Intermediate
  • Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
    • View Profile
As long as you commit to it, you can transition to jumping using CTRL and hopefully break the cjump script, just gotta stick to the odd feeling until it becomes second nature. I personally use Shift as my crouch key, puts a lot less strain on the pinky

However, if you are adamant on keeping your jump or whatever as M2, the extra buttons on a mouse (usually called M3, M4, M5, etc) or some key you can easily reach with your pinky or thumb should suffice

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile

ys

• View Profile
As long as you commit to it, you can transition to jumping using CTRL and hopefully break the cjump script, just gotta stick to the odd feeling until it becomes second nature. I personally use Shift as my crouch key, puts a lot less strain on the pinky

However, if you are adamant on keeping your jump or whatever as M2, the extra buttons on a mouse (usually called M3, M4, M5, etc) or some key you can easily reach with your pinky or thumb should suffice

I started trying out shift and it was a bit of a struggle, though a hell of a lot easier to reach than CTRL on my weird keyboard. I especially struggled being able to hold crouch down in certain jumps/pogos. I kept tapping it when the time to crouch came. Not a good thing though since some things are so much easier to do holding down crouch.

I then started to try out capslock as the crouch bind, since it is the closest. It worked a little better than shift. Only problem with that is if i type in chat, i might accidentally SHOUT at everyone.

Unfortunately i just have a crappy stock mouse. It gets the job done, but it doesn't have anything past mouse2.

I personally use Shift as my crouch key

STICKY KEYS EW

Not really sure what you mean.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile

I started trying out shift and it was a bit of a struggle, though a hell of a lot easier to reach than CTRL on my weird keyboard. I especially struggled being able to hold crouch down in certain jumps/pogos. I kept tapping it when the time to crouch came. Not a good thing though since some things are so much easier to do holding down crouch.

I then started to try out capslock as the crouch bind, since it is the closest. It worked a little better than shift. Only problem with that is if i type in chat, i might accidentally SHOUT at everyone.

Unfortunately i just have a crappy stock mouse. It gets the job done, but it doesn't have anything past mouse2.

STICKY KEYS EW

Not really sure what you mean.

tap SHIFT 5 times fast

Torii

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

STICKY KEYS EW

You can disable it

You can actually disable CAPSLOCK (just the function and not the actual key), so you don't have to worry about it.

ys

• View Profile

You can actually disable CAPSLOCK (just the function and not the actual key), so you don't have to worry about it.

Oh, that's pretty cool. Do you know if there is an in game cvar or something like that i could put in my cfg to do that? Or is it something I'd have to do through windows?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:21:49 AM by ys »

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
You can disable it

WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS GUY

wish I would have known that before I went to ctrl a couple years ago. I swear I google'd it and found nothing. Whatever, no biggie

ys

• View Profile
You can disable it

wish I would have known that before I went to ctrl a couple years ago. I swear I google'd it and found nothing. Whatever, no biggie

Huh, maybe I'm lucky for knowing that now, and use shift instead of caps since it's more practical.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
You can disable it

wtf are you serious turning off sticky keys is the easiest thing alive

Torii

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

Oh, that's pretty cool. Do you know if there is an in game cvar or something like that i could put in my cfg to do that? Or is it something I'd have to do through windows?

It's through windows. I remember using a program to do it, I forgot which one, but you can easily google how to.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile

It's through windows. I remember using a program to do it, I forgot which one, but you can easily google how to.
lmao im retarded, whatevs ctrl is master race just sayin ;)