Welcome B)

STV Smooths and Recording Binds

nolem · 21 · 5656

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Shoutout to Brock (who gives a shoutout to qzc) - So apparently HLAE is now updated for TF2 so you can smooth in game pretty easily. So first start off by getting HLAE and setting up the custom launcher like Cadsmar does in his video:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After you do that and launch with HLAE, load up a demo and here are the commands:
  • mirv_campath clear - Clears any campath keyframes that you have set up
  • mirv_campath add - Adds a keyframe where you are as the demo is playing
  • mirv_campath save <filename> - Saves your campath so that you can load it up and use it again
  • mirv_campath load <filename> - Loads a saved campath
  • mirv_campath enable [0/1] - turns the campath on or off

There are a few more commands which you can see just by typing mirv_campath and pressing enter, but that's really all you need. Just bind "mirv_campath add" to some key and go through your demo following the jump you want to record and then play it back from before you started keyframing and you should have a somewhat acceptable smooth.

Now when I was playing around with this, I realized that it didn't really have a nice way to export the movies, sure you can rebind keys over and over again but that got old pretty quick. I wrote a quick script in python that will generate a bunch of config files and set you up to record a bunch (up to 1000) tga/wav sequences without having to constantly rebind. I put the script up here:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/d4479a76ca1f481f3750

NOTE: You do have to have Python (I used 2.7.X, I'm not sure if 3.X would work) installed for this to run (link: https://www.python.org/downloads/). Also, to use this file, you have to do a little set up first. Right click and open the file. In quotes on the first line is they key you want to press to record (ex. p, mouse2, space). The 2nd line is where the tga sequence will end up. This program makes 1000 folders in the directory you specify here and outputs each tga sequence separately, 1 in each folder. The third line is just your tf directory. When you put in the folder path, make sure you take out any \ characters and replace them with / or the file will not run properly.

When in game, just run "exec rec_binds", and then when you are watching a demo press your bind and it will toggle the recording of each movie one after another.

Edit: added a little bit to the script so that it manages frame rates properly and allows you to set that in script file
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:47:41 AM by talkingmelon »

Brock

• Novice
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile

qzc

• Novice
    • View Profile

nolem

• Proficient
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
A question that may or may not be related to any of this - is there a way to move the camera while a demo is paused?

qzc

• Novice
    • View Profile
A question that may or may not be related to any of this - is there a way to move the camera while a demo is paused?

Use "mirv_input camera"

Triga

• Intermediate
  • Vexon stole two of my jumps!
    • View Profile
Someone sticky this!

Edit - Was going to make a thread about this exactly and is their a easier way and I remembered this .. like I said sticky this!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:59:21 AM by Triga -tt »
The creator of multiple critically acclaimed maps ....

░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░█▄ █░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒█ ░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░ Representing London

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Hype

Also for anyone running TF2 off of an SSD or small HDD you can record all TGAs to any other drive in your system.

startmovie "<drive>:\<where you want the stuff>\<name>_";

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile
Do you have to have Cinema4D for smoothing?

If so, I won't be able to smooth.

nolem

• Proficient
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Do you have to have Cinema4D for smoothing?

If so, I won't be able to smooth.

Nope, everything can be done in game

sitood

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I have no idea how this works.
How do i even move in stv demos while paused?
When i try to add campaths, nothing seems happening.

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile

nolem

• Proficient
    • View Profile
    • Youtube

If you use "mirv_input camera" then you can move independently of where the game thinks the camera is. From this perspective (or any other) you can make the campath. For it to play back, however, you have to leave mirv_input camera mode with "mirv_input end". Then jump to a tick before or during your campath and it'll play back.