jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

TF2 Jump Academy Speedrun Contest

Mireal

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Dealing with the maps, they can be changed according to your suggestions, if someone suggests an interesting map list we can definitely take it in count.

For demo medium maybe jump_ice_v4 as drexen is very gimmicky, as for the hard maybe a map like what or isak.
man cannot ascend with worldly values holding him down

CryptX | jumpacademytf2.com

• Learn jumping at www.jumpacademytf2.com
    • View Profile
I just want to say Thank You for all of your feedback and I see that members are saying that these maps are bad in design or gimmicky (what ever the hell that means).
I want to keep jump_beef because this speedrun contest is not for all the pro jumpers we want beginner jumpers aswell.
If you want to give yourself a challenge please apply for the higher difficulty ones and please don't complain about maps that you can do easily.
jump_eons is a fine map but in my opinion I think its a little bit too hard.
I also don't want people just to fly around the map and finish way way before anyone else because they were the ones who suggested the map. I want to give (even the pro jumpers) a challenge.
Now wither people are saying that abuq is gimmicky thats fine, I can easily change that but endurance for demo? (How is it Aids?)
For soldier I will change the maps;
Easy: jump_beef
Medium: jump_littleman
Hard: jump_cheval
I'm also going to ask Gebobus http://steamcommunity.com/id/Gebobus/ which jump maps are good for demo and can give pro jumpers a challenge, afterall challenges are fun!
Thats all for now, and I hope I will not have to change the maps in future!
-CryptX

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Now wither people are saying that abuq is gimmicky thats fine, I can easily change that but endurance for demo? (How is it Aids?)

There are 2 ways a map can be difficult. Way 1, the jumps require a lot of skill and technique to do consistently. Way 2, the jumps are poorly designed and spaced, making them frustrating even for good players. Endurace is type 2.

In short - bad map pls dont make ppl play.

Also, cheval is way too easy to be a hard map.

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile
For soldier I will change the maps;
Easy: jump_beef
Medium: jump_littleman
Hard: jump_cheval

If you do all courses if litteman, swap cheval to medium and littleman to hard

Also! Whether instead of wither :)
The Rat Master

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
yea i have to say in general endurance is not the best map to race on because of its gimmicky nature and overall crap factor
how about something like jump_p by bshear?
still a tier 5 map (very hard) like endurance but its actually good and fun

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
Soldier map suggestions:

easy: elephant, void, eons, arctic (which everybody hates except me)
medium: bomb, rope, anymapmadebysitood
hard: apex, lion (i love lion)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:14:11 PM by TomSinister »

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile
why hasnt jump academy produced any new big names in jumping yet

879m

• Proficient
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile

Mireal

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
why hasnt jump academy produced any new big names in jumping yet

Gebobus

• Novice
    • View Profile
I'm thinking amazon, internal and koi, maybe lanc or jump_p for the hard race, not sure.

Weap0wned

• View Profile
Exile2 : because Jump Academy is focusing on new players, learning them the basics and giving non-experience players a way to discover jumping. We have no such pretention to train players to what could be called "pro level" like many members of jump.tf community, I really make a clear distinction between both.

Many people here don't take the JA seriously because we have perhaps a non-exaustive knowledge of jumping, but we don't need it to teach newcomers. So basically it's pointless to say that JA is a joke since from pro players it's obviously one but we are not hidding it, we are not pro jumpers and we're perfectly fine with that.

Now if advanced players would be interest bin getting involved in our project and improve it on this scale, our door is wide open!

(Sorry for off-topic)

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
I want to keep jump_beef because this speedrun contest is not for all the pro jumpers we want beginner jumpers aswell.

Having newbies in the competition is great, but its going to be almost impossible to keep someone from doing the beginner map really fast. The definition of beginner changes from person to person, and it doesn't take much to be able to flawless jump_beef consistently. That said, anyone who is entering this competition without being able to beat jump_beef easily is most likely doing it for fun. I don't think having people beat the map in a couple minutes is going to detract from their fun.

I also don't want people just to fly around the map and finish way way before anyone else

I assume you mean that in a literal sense because you want to be able to show how each jump can be done. Maps such as jump_elephant and jump_void feature speedrun strats which allow you to skip many of the jumps. While this is great for adding challenge and complexity to a beginner map, it isn't good for showing beginners how to beat each jump. Keep in mind that most people on this forum are going to be suggesting beginner maps that are fun to speedrun, not beginner maps that are fun for beginners. You are better off getting suggestions from people in the jump academy community for beginner maps. However, I will say that every newbie jumper I've ever met seems to love jump_orbital.

I see that members are saying that these maps are bad in design or gimmicky (what ever the hell that means)...
...Now wither people are saying that abuq is gimmicky thats fine, I can easily change that

Gimmicky design in this case refers to strange mechanics that are only present on this map. things like anti-gravity pads and low gravity jumps. These things are difficult to learn and don't help you become better at jumping on other maps, so many jumpers don't like them.

If you want to give yourself a challenge please apply for the higher difficulty ones...
...I want to give (even the pro jumpers) a challenge

The very best jumpers aren't going to be challenged by any map that you would want to choose for a race competition. Maps that are challenging for top jumpers cant even be beaten by the other 99.9% of the jumping community. Because of this, its better to choose maps that are good for speedrunning as opposed to maps that are challenging on their own. Speedrunning adds challenge to maps and allows for a more even playing field, since practice can make up for a lack of skill.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:53:36 PM by TomSinister »

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile
If you want to give yourself a challenge please apply for the higher difficulty ones and please don't complain about maps that you can do easily.
jump_eons is a fine map but in my opinion I think its a little bit too hard.
Beef is one of the worst maps to have a speedrun competition on because it would be over in 2 minutes if you have anyone decent racing. You could argue that you want newer jumpers to be able to compete but thats like watching a race with disabled people. You're gonna have people join who are miles above everyone else (assuming anyone can join) because this is a competition and no one is going to be nice enough to go easy on the other competitors. Eons would actually be a perfect map for the easy category imo, it's a good length and has really easy jumps for most of the techniques in jumping.

I also don't want people just to fly around the map and finish way way before anyone else because they were the ones who suggested the map. I want to give (even the pro jumpers) a challenge.

This is a speedrun competition

? ??
?

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
I just want to say Thank You for all of your feedback and I see that members are saying that these maps are bad in design or gimmicky (what ever the hell that means).
"what ever the hell that means" is making your speedrun dependent on things that majority of people have never jumped on (low gravity fields, shootable walk-throughable walls, etc). it's a pain in the ass to speedrun for anyone because the skills that are used in every other map do not apply here.

jump_beef is going to be like a literal 2 minute run and no one wants to watch that on stream because it'll be over almost immediately

okay but there's no need to be upset. we're not complaining we're trying to give you valid advice if you want to make this speedrun contest more enjoyable to the viewers if you're planning on streaming it

considering you picked cheval as hard and littleman as medium, i'm going to assume you're not taking into consideration red side of littleman
in which basically these maps are of little challenge to intermediate jumpers, and virtually no challenge to pro jumpers

your new demo map choices however are great and should stay
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:50:56 AM by John »

Weap0wned

• View Profile
Thank you a lot for your feedback, we really appreciate that! This speedrun contest is a first shot for us, we'll try to do our best to fit with everyone's expectations as much as we can.

We'll still stick with jump_beef, and I'll tell you why. Our academy is dedicated to beginners, people who don't have a single experience in jumping. By introducing a map that they may know (players or stream watchers), they don't feel watching only pro players racing in 2 minutes a map they tried during 4 hours.

So you may have to watch "disabled people" racing a very easy map, but you guys are used to play with pro players, a difficulty you'll be able to find in the last category (even though some of you don't see any challenge in it). We're really trying to provide fun for everyone.

Again, thanks a lot for your suggestions, I do want to schedule later on a harder speedrun that might better fit with your skills.