Welcome B)

TAS Plugin

nolem · 80 · 17244

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
So in an attempt not to have the forums shitposted to hell about my TAS plugin, I figured I should just make a post here.

As shown by my last video, I have a TAS plugin now. No, this is not Casual's plugin. I wrote it myself because I was bored and wanted to make cool runs.

This plugin does not work online. For it to run at all, TF2 has to be launched with -insecure which disables connections to servers.

I will NOT be making this public. As far as I am concerned, even though it doesn't work online, it would be awful to have to analyze every offline run just to determine if the run is legit or not. The demos are not perfect (POV demos often completely mess up the viewmodel), but even with that in mind, TAS runs still look quite similar to real ones.

As of right now, I have given the plugin to RNC and Brock. If I give it to anyone else, I will say that here. I will not be giving the full source to anybody.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but I won't be answering anything too specific regarding how the plugin works.

Edit: I have given the plugin to Jimbo (aka fake dellort) and John, also fucking everybody else now

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:45:41 PM by nolem »

obsidiian

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
omg i hate tas pls ban this kid from all servers immediately

/s

plep

• Advanced
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • hi
    • View Profile

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
Have you tried to code a cure for cancer yet

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
I don't really understand the why you wouldn't want to give out the TAS plugin. The only time TASing is a problem is when there is money on the line. Honestly, I don't think money and speedruns mix well in the first place (unless of course its for charity).

If someone wants to cheat times so that they look cool to the other 100 jumpers who actually care about this stuff, then it isn't a big deal.

On a side note, this is why streaming is so important for speedruns. While it can be almost impossible to tell a TASed demo from a legit one, it is very very easy to tell a person's jumping ability after watching them grind out a map for a couple hours live on stream.

edit: That said, establishing a TASing community for jumping would TREMENDOUSLY benefit the jumping community as whole. TASers have the ability to break the game down further than can be done in real time and will give us all better insight and understanding of jumping mechanics. Apart from that, TASes are very good at finding strategies for RTA speedruns and are a beautiful thing to look at on their own.

Seeing a divide between TAS and the rest of the community reminds me of the dark ages of speedrunning. TASing isn't meant to be a method to produce cheated runs. TASing is meant to fully explore what is possible and push a speedrun to its absolute limit.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:29:59 PM by TomSinister »

Someone

• View Profile
If someone wants to cheat times so that they look cool to the other 100 jumpers who actually care about this stuff, then it isn't a big deal.

Cheating an offline run and say that it's flawless just to impress a bunch of nerds on the internet? No way, who would do such a thing?

Zigzati

• View Profile

Cheating an offline run and say that it's flawless just to impress a bunch of nerds on the internet? No way, who would do such a thing?

Right? What sort of fucking pathetic loser would do that?

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile
I mean cheating in runs has been forgiven before because circlejerking is strong within the jump community

Zigzati

• View Profile
I mean cheating in runs has been forgiven before because circlejerking is strong within the jump community

That's what tends to happen when the community is like 10 people.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:42:31 PM by Zigzati »

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
So does anyone else agree that the TAS plugin should be made public? Or does everyone feel so betrayed by casual that they cant see how beneficial TASing is to the community?

Zigzati

• View Profile
So does anyone else agree that the TAS plugin should be made public? Or does everyone feel so betrayed by casual that they cant see how beneficial TASing is to the community?

Well considering that it's really easy to tell TAS from non-TAS, and also the fact that everybody with TAS right now is either shit at finding strats or refuses to make them, I'd say yes.

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
So in an attempt not to have the forums shitposted to hell about my TAS plugin, I figured I should just make a post here.

fuck

Brock

• Novice
    • View Profile

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
a tas plugin would be super useful for map showcases