nolem · 80 · 17245

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
To avoid another landslide on jumping tools, and to provide a less controversial implementation, I will be rolling out an update enabling server-side (SourceMod) TAS support through JumpBOT on supported servers shortly.

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
if tool is released to the public: rip auroro

Balls

• Novice
    • View Profile
I think a TAS tool should be made public, because like others have said, it will allow people to explore the game in more detail. Forget about verifying demo's and all that - the push for more knowledge and understanding should be greater than the need to verify demos.

insanelyepic

• View Profile
rip ppl who actually took their time to get good

Balls

• Novice
    • View Profile
That's just the point though - people who are good will still be respected, and people will still jump. It's fun, I think most people who are registered here would say they enjoy it. People are still going to join jump servers where there is no TAS to be had. TAS just gives the possibility of further exploring the engine and the possibilities.

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
That's just the point though - people who are good will still be respected, and people will still jump. It's fun, I think most people who are registered here would say they enjoy it. People are still going to join jump servers where there is no TAS to be had. TAS just gives the possibility of further exploring the engine and the possibilities.

What about people that don't like jumping online or people that just can't (mostly for ping issues)? Are they all unable to get real and legit speedruns? Everyone can agree that such a tool is amazing to get some insane runs but please, atleast find a way (a real way, not something anyone can hide) to make a difference between TAS and legit runs.

Someone

• View Profile

atleast find a way (a real way, not something anyone can hide) to make a difference between TAS and legit runs.

Quad edgeshot with 11 speedshots in a row. No one will ever know that i used TAS!!!

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
Quad edgeshot with 11 speedshots in a row. No one will ever know that i used TAS!!!

Such a nice argument

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
What about people that don't like jumping online or people that just can't (mostly for ping issues)? Are they all unable to get real and legit speedruns? Everyone can agree that such a tool is amazing to get some insane runs but please, at least find a way (a real way, not something anyone can hide) to make a difference between TAS and legit runs.

I don't know why you think TAS will ruin offline runs for jumping. TAS existing hasn't stopped any other spedrunning community from having legit offline speedruns. As I said before, the best way to verify the legitimacy of a run/runner is to watch them stream runs. Beyond that, knowing your community also helps weed out any cheaters. No legitimate runner is going to come out of nowhere and start dropping WR runs. Even if you cannot prove that someone doing this is cheating, the entire community will suspect that they are, making the cheated run pointless. I really dont think there will be a sudden outburst of cheating if a TAS plugin is made public. Most people who practice any sort of speedrun are doing it for fun, and care about the integrity of their hobby.

Balls

• Novice
    • View Profile
What about people that don't like jumping online or people that just can't (mostly for ping issues)? Are they all unable to get real and legit speedruns? Everyone can agree that such a tool is amazing to get some insane runs but please, atleast find a way (a real way, not something anyone can hide) to make a difference between TAS and legit runs.

Personally, I'm not interested in entertaining arguments that relate to the perceived legitimacy of offline runs by the community. I can see that something like this may have a small impact on a very small number of jumpers, but if they're only jumping for kudos then I don't really care anyway. Anyone who jumps for (what I consider) the right reasons would welcome such a tool to be made public.

For example, the TAS that obsidiian did of my map allowed me to see that a certain transition was possible without stopping, but required an incredibly awkward edgebug. The TAS can help us learn not only what is theoretically possible, but also how hard something might be to learn to the point of including it in a legitimate speedrun strat.

I don't understand why people are so afraid. Makes me want to write and release a tool myself!

insanelyepic

• View Profile
tas ruined the jump community i feel bad for the ppl who spent 4years jumping trying to get good. for them its like the kick in the balls honestly. no point of trying to wr maps anymore jumping is dead

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
tas ruined the jump community i feel bad for the ppl who spent 4years jumping trying to get good. for them its like the kick in the balls honestly. no point of trying to wr maps anymore jumping is dead

I can't tell if you're serious or not...

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
TAS should be in the hands of only those trusted....which in this community isn't very many people smh -_-
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

Zigzati

• View Profile
TAS should be in the hands of only those trusted....which in this community isn't very many people smh -_-

Yeah, even though it's extremely easy to identify.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
"i don't want this because i hate change because change scares me"

honestly if you're trying to make fraud speedruns of jump maps with your time i think you have other issues to deal with.
and that's a poor life decision and i hope you reevaluate before it's too late

which is to say at some point during tf2 jumping's ever-increasing fanbase someone else might make a public TAS and you will have shot yourself in the foot by not releasing it and not getting the dank efame  8)