jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Angled Bouncehop

Boshy · 17 · 4768

Poll

What should be done with cl_pitchdown?

Allow it (since it's not that cheaty and mat_fullbright requires sv_cheats too)
6 (28.6%)
Ban it (since it requires sv_cheats and seems to cheaty)
13 (61.9%)
I don't like this idea in general
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: September 13, 2015, 07:15:16 AM

Boshy

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hello, everyone. Recently there was discovered a trick based on angles (cl_showpos/getpos) that allows you to 100% consistently bouncehop on every platform that has teleheight 1 (and a platform to jump from). This trick can easily save time on maps like jump_isak_b4, jump_twelve, jump_daylight_a2 or any map that has long downpogo and a floor with teleheight 1. Here's the example:

Basically, all you need to do is to line up for the right angle (using cl_whospos or cl_pitchdown), standshoot (or crouchshoot) and bouncehop at the bottom. We (Boshy, Xtra, flac, Tyrael) are working on a spreadsheet, which currently has 9 maps (and some maps don't have all angles), but we have a whole lot of other maps to mess with. The reason why we bring it up so early is the "cl_pitchdown" command which can't be used unless server has "sv_cheats" enabled (same as "wait"). So some people wanted to ban the "cl_pitchdown" command from tempus, since it needs "sv_cheats" (the trick is still possible with manual lining up, using low sensivity for presicion, but it's 3-7 secs slower), which I kinda agree with. BUT, banning it would create a serious problem with people being able to easily macro it (and mat_fullbright 1 is also allowed, even though it needs "sv_cheats"). And since this trick is easier than freezbug and is not as obvious, tracking macroed runs down would be a hard task (not talking about world records only, about all top times). Also allowing "cl_pitchdown" to be used will make it way easier for newer (new to the trick/jump in general) players to use it too. So there's the problem that needs to be solved, so please suggest anything if you have an idea.

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
I'm pretty sure setang doesn't require sv_cheats 1 (I might be wrong) - when xtra asked me to find some heights I used that. Also, I really don't like the idea of doing this on tempus or using macros like this in speedruns in general (It'd be tough to prevent it if setang doesn't require sv_cheats 1 though).

Boshy

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

Xtra

• View Profile
And it can never be fully prevented due to the fact you can just use cl_showpos and low sensitivity to hit that angle

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
Using low sense seems totally legit and actually really cool. I assume theres some way to see exactly what angle you are looking? That seems kind of cheap and silly, but I dont like showpos or speedo either, so its not any worse than that. I think setting angles with console commands/macros is really stupid and shouldnt be allowed.

It sucks that Macros wont be easily detectable. But I mean, cheaters are going to cheat. It would be pretty easy to see if someone's veiw suddenly snapped to the right angle before an angled bhop like this. Obviously nobody is going to check every TT, but I dont see this being a huge problem since it seems like it would be easy to detect upon close inspection.

Rob123

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
This is a tricky one, and unfortunately might mean that we have to turn off our sv_cheats workaround that allows things like fullbright.

I'll have to do some research and see if there's anyway that we can block this, because I feel that this is not a good direction for WRs.

879m

• Proficient
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
If the table doesn't get released then you won't be able to get the right angle

Xtra

• View Profile
People might find the angles themselves I guess.. but atm the table will remain private.

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
please don't take away fullbright, running some maps is impossible for me without it

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
please don't take away fullbright, running some maps is impossible for me without it

Tempus could always manually edit maps that are too dark to make them brighter. It would be a MASSIVE pain in the ass, but it could be done with several hours of tedious work.

879m

• Proficient
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile

Tempus could always manually edit maps that are too dark to make them brighter. It would be a MASSIVE pain in the ass, but it could be done with several hours of tedious work.

But then elevens exilenpals jump wouldnt look cool

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
I think tom means specificly where needed, fullbright everything would look awful

Torii

• Intermediate
  • Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
    • View Profile

Tempus would then need the original .vmfs, which may have been lost (especially old maps)

The other option is to decompile existing BSPs, which is not a good idea. It comes with some errors and inconsistencies (may even modify relative heights of platforms, which would void times). Some entities are also lost in the compile process, like cubemaps or areaportals, plus brush entities may come out as world brushes.

Rob123

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Yea remaking maps is a bit much. Editing other people's map is also a tricky one, as it's very tempting to edit other 'broken' parts of the map, which people may or may not want to happen.

We're still thinking through this, and I'm yet to find any workaround for fullbright. FWIW I have emailled the TF2 team about a dedicated sv_allowfullbright command, which would be great for surf and jump. But it's a long shot and I'd be surprised if anything came out of it.

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
This is a tricky one, and unfortunately might mean that we have to turn off our sv_cheats workaround that allows things like fullbright.

I'll have to do some research and see if there's anyway that we can block this, because I feel that this is not a good direction for WRs.

The setang command is not a client-side cheat.  Keep sv_cheats 0 on the server and fake the cvar sent to the client:

Code: [Select]
#pragma semicolon 1
#include <sourcemod>

#define PLUGIN_VERSION "0.4.0"

public Plugin:myinfo =
{
  name = "Fake Cheats",
  author = "AI",
  description = "Fakes sv_cheats cvar to client",
  version = PLUGIN_VERSION,
  url = "jump.tf"
}