jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Jumping at AGDQ?

StingerPA

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I'm a former TF2 6v6 player who's been speedrunning for a few years now, and I was wondering if any jumpers had considered offering a jump segment for Awesome Games Done Quick 2016. If you haven't heard of it, AGDQ is a week-long speedrunning marathon that raises money for charity, and was the model that Tip of the Hats based themselves off of when they started doing their own charity marathon.  It occurs twice a year in January and July (the July one is called Summer Games Done Quick), with AGDQ being in the Washington D.C. area, and SGDQ being more in the mid-west region with some variety in where it takes place. Most people outside of the TF2 community haven't seen anything like this, and I think it'd be an amazing offer.

The submissions for AGDQ 2016 are opening up in early October (exact date to be determined), so now would be the time for the jump community to start getting something together.  The way submissions work is that everyone who is interested in doing a run at AGDQ submits through the website (www.gamesdonequick.com) and the organizers go through each one, cutting down the list until it gets to about 160 hours of gaming.  Unlike TotH, runners have to be onsite, though, and that would have to be considered when making the submission.  Even so, jumping would be a huge hit at AGDQ because of how fast paced and precise the jumps are, so I'm hoping some of you can make it happen.

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
Ye, I don't think TF2 is fit for AGDQ. It's not even the "normal" game, like the other speedruns are.

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
I've been a part of the speedrunning community for around 5 years now. Never been to a GDQ because its always really far away, but a lot of my friends have done runs there. I've thought of offering jumping, but I haven't because I dont think I am good enough to represent the jump community. As you probably know from being in the speedrunning community, not being officially part of the game is completely irrelevant. I'd like to see it run at one of the GDQ's as well so I hope someone that someone steps up (or i get better).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:20:53 PM by TomSinister »

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
I mean if Tetris can get in and become the biggest, most hyped segment. You know maybe. Not saying we could top Tetris, but you know. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

879m

• Proficient
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
Only problem would be what do you run that would be impressive enough and takes enough time up. Also due to the nature of jump speedruns (lots of restarts) might not be the most enjoyable to watch.

TomSinister

• Novice
    • View Profile
Only problem would be what do you run that would be impressive enough and takes enough time up. Also due to the nature of jump speedruns (lots of restarts) might not be the most enjoyable to watch.

Speedrun segments dont have to be any specific length of time. There have been MANY runs at GDQs that are only a few minutes long. The point of doing a marathon run isn't to get a good time, its to show off your speedgame to the public. Often the best runs are ones where the runner will literally stop mid-run to explain things. The hardest part about doing a jump run IMO would be trying to explain jumping at a basic level (as in to people who haven't even played tf2 before).