TAS discussion

Vexon · 131 · 15551

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • :}
    • View Profile
Jump movie also will dead .......

Yes, legit trickjumping will die. It won't be as amazing to watch as a TAS jump movie would be....which is the main reason imma die. All i like doing is trickjumping.
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

McMaster

• Novice
  • ㄟ( ̄▽ ̄ㄟ)
    • View Profile

Yes, legit trickjumping will die. It won't be as amazing to watch as a TAS jump movie would be....which is the main reason imma die. All i like doing is trickjumping.

They have TAS, but they don't have creativity like yours, you still can beat their TAS jumps. If the movie was marked "TAS", I think that although if most of the viewer were impressed, they still know it's impossible, like cheating, still kinda disappointed. However, making a jump movie with no TAS and also awesome, I think that's what viewers want, like the jumps was REALLY done. Ya know I mean?? We still have hopes
<3 tempus
</3 tempus's lag

wtf srsly there's McMaster University
:0

Cyan

• View Profile
Complaining isn't going to do shit. I personally can't wait to have fun with tas for just that purpose, fun. I love the idea of pushing jumping to its limits with things that are technically possible. Before only a few people had them, while I think it's fine that tas plugin creators choose to be selective in who gets there program I also felt a little annoyed that certain members of the community were able to do things that others couldn't just because of a program, not because of a difference in jumping skill.

SALSAA

• Intermediate
  • pipetrick connoisseur
    • View Profile
Well those hard earned speedruns that took hours of grinding will be outmatched by someone who took an hour out of their day to make a tas.
Atleast online jumping is untouched because ping
Why do you read this like it doesn't even matter just read my message its probably more important

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile

They have TAS, but they don't have creativity like yours, you still can beat their TAS jumps. If the movie was marked "TAS", I think that although if most of the viewer were impressed, they still know it's impossible, like cheating, still kinda disappointed. However, making a jump movie with no TAS and also awesome, I think that's what viewers want, like the jumps was REALLY done. Ya know I mean?? We still have hopes

Most people who watch jump movies don't even know what's going on. TAS movies will 1 up real movies. Creativity can only take you so far..

Gorge004

• Proficient
    • View Profile
I don't think we will compare tas to non-tas run/jump. Just like in any other game, both are completely different and doesn't compete with each other. tas run are there to show what's possible by pushing the limit of the game to the maximum, not to brag by comparing yourself to online wr. There will be competition between tas, just like there is and will continue to be competition for online and offline jumping.

Same thing for trickjumping, I don't think tas should be use to trickjump in the first place, or at least not to show it. You could use a tas to find out if a jump you're thinking is possible, than do it yourself. IMO, if you're just going to make a trickjump tas video, you're not really using tas the way you should. Even if people do this, non-tas trickjump will still remain as impressive as it is, and most likely better than tas trickjump. From what i've seen from tas video, a trickjump would only be about getting crazy random bounce, edgebug, edgeshot or crazy prefire sync thing, and today's trickjumper already do all this lol.

Anyway anyone who watches tas video already understand, or will understand quickly what it's about and won't compare it to non-tas movie. From what I've seen of other game, the tas community is always a lot smaller than the non-tas one, since there's a lot of people who doesn't enjoy watching a computer play the game for you. Those who enjoy tas usually enjoy them because it's entertaining to watch, not because it's hard to do, therefore they also enjoy non-tas aswell and doesn't compare each other.

Of course there's gonna be that random guy on youtube who find a tas video and is gonna bitch on the non-tas run of the same map saying there's too much flaw and that other guy did it better. Just like there were some people on youtube saying that Quba's run of sync was better than torii's ROTW because it was flawless. People were correcting them saying quba's run was edited together, and they all pretty much react the same way: "omg torii's run is amazing then!". TAS is gonna be the same thing, because it's like that for every other game out there.

Now if you're all so worried about people trying to pass a tas as a non-tas, the pov demo is enough to prove if its legit or not, according to nolem's tas post. If you still don't trust it, we can always ask people to stream. Even if it's in 240p and nobody is watching, at least you'll have a vod of you grinding the map. Or, I guess if you don't overwrite the demo everything you fail and restart and you just record the whole time you're grinding, it would also work to prove that it's legit.

So, Vexon you're staying.

Zigzati

• View Profile
I don't think we will compare tas to non-tas run/jump.

Same thing for trickjumping, I don't think tas should be use to trickjump in the first place, or at least not to show it. You could use a tas to find out if a jump you're thinking is possible, than do it yourself. IMO, if you're just going to make a trickjump tas video, you're not really using tas the way you should. Even if people do this, non-tas trickjump will still remain as impressive as it is, and most likely better than tas trickjump. From what i've seen from tas video, a trickjump would only be about getting crazy random bounce, edgebug, edgeshot or crazy prefire sync thing, and today's trickjumper already do all this lol.

Anyway anyone who watches tas video already understand, or will understand quickly what it's about and won't compare it to non-tas movie. From what I've seen of other game, the tas community is always a lot smaller than the non-tas one, since there's a lot of people who doesn't enjoy watching a computer play the game for you. Those who enjoy tas usually enjoy them because it's entertaining to watch, not because it's hard to do, therefore they also enjoy non-tas aswell and doesn't compare each other.

Of course there's gonna be that random guy on youtube who find a tas video and is gonna bitch on the non-tas run of the same map saying there's too much flaw and that other guy did it better. Just like there were some people on youtube saying that Quba's run of sync was better than torii's ROTW because it was flawless. People were correcting them saying quba's run was edited together, and they all pretty much react the same way: "omg torii's run is amazing then!". TAS is gonna be the same thing, because it's like that for every other game out there.

Now if you're all so worried about people trying to pass a tas as a non-tas, the pov demo is enough to prove if its legit or not, according to nolem's tas post.
yep

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Yeah you can not compare any TAS to any legit anything, and if you do you're an idiot. (unless of course the TAS stays within the realm of us mortals)

Does anyone above the age of 7 actually compare themselves to Superman, or any of those other guys? Nothing a TAS does is remotely possible by humans and never will be, there is just WAY too much forced luck involved.

Also TASing doesn't require any skill, it just requires knowledge and a lot of plugins. So any legit run with a good time or just flawless will still be really impressive.

And as far as trickjumping I've thought of making just a quick TAS jump movie but it just sounded really boring. The goal of a trick jump is to do something cool and difficult, the goal of a regular run is to just go fast. The goal of a TAS run is to do something really cool and do it impossibly fast for ~3 mins. So a TAS run kinda just is one really really long trick jump. I didn't see the point in faking a trick jump.

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
In my "guidelines" I kinda hinted that I didn't want people using the plugin for trickjumps. I think its fine and perfectly reasonable to use it to see if something is possible like what was mentioned in other posts but for actually making videos it's pretty stupid to have tool assisted trickjumps.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
This is the internet. People will do trickjumps with TAS

Time will tell, we will see.

ReMaXeD

• Intermediate
  • Serious poster
    • View Profile
To think people won't use TA for trick-jumping is naive.  It's an easy way to avoid grinding jumps for extended periods of time(with which harder jumps can last hours/span multiple sessions).  Not only that, but it's also a way to see if certain jumps are possible in the first place.  For myself, TA cheapens trick-jumping and the results one can achieve for jumping creatively.  Some people may laugh at the idea of trick-jumping for recognition, but is there really any other reason to attempt these jumps for hours on end(if you weren't going to share it). 

TA trick-jumps have a likely chance of being cut and dry above others with a fraction of the effort.  Something I find disappointing, but inevitable, as quake 3 trick-jumping went through the exact same thing. 

Unfortunately, debating this won't change a thing.  So I'm done  :P

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
couldn't have said it better big man

proto3inch

• View Profile
I don't think we will compare tas to non-tas run/jump. Just like in any other game, both are completely different and doesn't compete with each other. tas run are there to show what's possible by pushing the limit of the game to the maximum, not to brag by comparing yourself to online wr. There will be competition between tas, just like there is and will continue to be competition for online and offline jumping.

Now if you're all so worried about people trying to pass a tas as a non-tas, the pov demo is enough to prove if its legit or not, according to nolem's tas post. If you still don't trust it, we can always ask people to stream. Even if it's in 240p and nobody is watching, at least you'll have a vod of you grinding the map. Or, I guess if you don't overwrite the demo everything you fail and restart and you just record the whole time you're grinding, it would also work to prove that it's legit.

So, Vexon you're staying.

hey buddy i think you got the wrong thread, the tas club is two pages down

Afterglow

• Intermediate
    • View Profile