man cannot ascend with worldly values holding him down

Melon

• Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
however you feel you have to remember that ultimately tempus is a set of servers made for competitive jump
not casual jump
if someone is interested in competing, they will spend the time and effort to get points and skill before joining advanced maps
this is not rocket science
keeping out those who join the server for 5 seconds, lag it, and leave again and never come back is not a bad thing

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
"they're not as good as me so lets kick them out of the community"

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
"they're not as good as me so lets kick them out of the community"
nice generalization, but i think even you can see what im getting at here
there are MANY players that really dont care about jump, and they dont belong on tempus
please refer to my last post for the reason for this
there are lots of casual servers with good rotations where they can play

879m

• Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
You guys gotta remember that you aren't the most important people on the server, no one is. If 5 guys with 20 points all want to play squared they are allowed to. Heck even if it's just one guy they are allowed to vote and do what they want. While it's good etiquette to let people finish runs or extend so they can tt or wr, it's random strangers on the internet so they don't care and that's fine. And yeah, tempus is a competitive server, but if you want a timer for your runs and/or other peoples times to beat you kinda have to go on tempus.

if someone is interested in competing, they will spend the time and effort to get points and skill before joining advanced maps

How is the guy who as only beaten beef after seeing muselk market garden someone meant to know which maps are advanced? When you have little experience jumping you think when people say that a map is medium that you can do it. "I beat beef in 5 minutes, I think that's super fast so I'm going to go play the hard maps now."

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
You guys gotta remember that you aren't the most important people on the server, no one is. If 5 guys with 20 points all want to play squared they are allowed to. Heck even if it's just one guy they are allowed to vote and do what they want. While it's good etiquette to let people finish runs or extend so they can tt or wr, it's random strangers on the internet so they don't care and that's fine. And yeah, tempus is a competitive server, but if you want a timer for your runs and/or other peoples times to beat you kinda have to go on tempus.

How is the guy who as only beaten beef after seeing muselk market garden someone meant to know which maps are advanced? When you have little experience jumping you think when people say that a map is medium that you can do it. "I beat beef in 5 minutes, I think that's super fast so I'm going to go play the hard maps now."

i dont know about you but the way i gradually moved up in jump skill was to start with beginner maps as i was told to (by all top jumpers) and spend time watching people, both on the casual servers and on youtube, then when i felt i was ready i tried to step up to tempus, all this based on what i OBSERVED

this doesnt seem like such an alien thought process to me, and i often explain this to newer jumpers so they can start their own journey

EDIT: to sum up what i think, if someone is interested in jump they will look into it, both through questions and observations, which together promote learning
this is what has been taught in schools forever and is a basic human function that is necessary for life
not everything needs to be presented on a plate

it worked for me
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 06:11:14 PM by Melon »

879m

• Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
i dont know about you but the way i gradually moved up in jump skill was to start with beginner maps as i was told to (by all top jumpers) and spend time watching people, both on the casual servers and on youtube, then when i felt i was ready i tried to step up to tempus, all this based on what i OBSERVED

If they can only go on the beginner server how can they observe good people? 1% of the time good jumpers will be there doing difficult things.

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile

If they can only go on the beginner server how can they observe good people? 1% of the time good jumpers will be there doing difficult things.
i didnt go on tempus at all so im sure theyll manage
even the casual servers have some good players, they dont necessarily have to be tempus tier, and some know how to help and teach
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:13:11 PM by Melon »

Tyrael

• View Profile
I think the issue with using ranks rather than points is that the minim points required keeps getting higher as more people play and complete maps.

100 points to vote doesn't seem unreasonable (maybe even higher), 1 very hard map or 2 hard ones wouldn't take anyone good more than 1 trip to the adv server. Completing rush, beef and adventure also gets you 100.

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
I can understanding restricting ve and rtv but restricting map votes shouldn't be there. This would be less of an issue if maps could be ve'd after 120m

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
i'm not even rank 250 (i think, i am top 250 if we're talking about s or d)... :(

Melon you need to stop using anecdotal evidence because what works for you may not necessarily work for someone else. You also do realize that what Tempus "is", is up to Rob123 and jayess, right? Whatever "competitive" jump means to Rob123 and jayess is what's its going to be for Tempus. Your definition doesn't really make a much of a difference.

While I do see your point, I don't think it's really one that's good for the health of the community (hell, what do I know, jump.tf is a cesspool & I'm not sure what Rob123 and jayess want). I don't really see blocking off majority of players from the advanced servers, leaving it to only 250 players to "compete" with each other. With that being said, if something like this DOES go through, majority of players will be forced to play on one single server to run maps to get said points, with other new players constantly rtv'ing and playing the same maps over and over again because with the inclusion of t3 and t4 maps to the beginner servers, you've essentially raised the amount of rtv'ing on the server, which is going to kill off the beginner server quite quickly, for those trying to learn and those that are trying to get into the top 250.

Honestly all I see is a sense of entitlement coming from the top jumpers because they've been wronged so many times because these kids just rtv and not ve maps that they've been running. That's easily fixed through vote/rtv permissions, without causing new players to have to be banned/redirected from playing the advanced servers.

While restricting to top 250 will lower the amount of joining from players on the advanced servers, you're leaving the beginner server to die. The obvious optimal solution is to fix the join stutter lag in the first place, which should be prioritized because having a better functioning plugin that works for everyone is better than isolating the prestigious 250 and making it so that only they get benefits.

I do agree that the ve/rtv restriction requirements should be increased on the advanced servers; having players beat jump_rush doesn't really make them suitable for advanced maps.

just my 2cents. I by no means am a top jumper, hell not even a decent jumper, but I feel that getting varied opinions is beneficial to a healthy debate

also you voted for powerbounce so your words are already worthless by default...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:25:53 AM by John »

qzc

• Novice
    • View Profile
It would probably be better to setup whitelist servers like in cs surf/bhop where people can go grind maps for hours without interruption.

Mireal

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I'd like to see their hands chopped of.