jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Am I just not made for rocket jumping?

Guest · 28 · 9031

Hateasma

Hi. I have tried to learn to rocket jump good for the last six months and I have played a lot on the jump academy servers. But I feel like I have not learned anything and I still can only do basic jumps (from the ground up to a ledge for example) on the normal game maps (upward,badwater etc). My question is just why am I not improving on any form of rocket jumping? I have tried to play on jurf maps and normal surf maps and I can barerly get past the first 3 obstacles. I know it's a really hard question to answer but I just don't get it and I feel I should just give up on playing soldier and just go and main Heavy or something...

Mireal

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
If you really want to get better at jump, continuously playing the easy maps won't make you improve. Pick a map that is rated "hard" on tempus and play it until you beat it, over time you'll make progress and improve faster than you would if you just played jump academy maps XD
man cannot ascend with worldly values holding him down

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile
Like what Mireal said, if you only do the things you can do, you won't get anywhere. You need to play maps that are just a bit higher skill level than you can do. Then slowly move your way up the map tiers.
The Rat Master

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
hello, i will tell you what i did to improve

go out of your way to watch and analyze youtube videos or demos from good jumpers. look for world records, top times, speedruns, and study what each jumper does in this run. you can find these videos on channels like TF2RJWeekly and TopTime, but also on smaller individual channels like gebobus's channel or xhappy's channel. check our "jump videos" section on this forum for plenty of content.

try to recreate the motions and strategies they used in their videos. this will not be easy at first but after a while of practice you will absorb a lot of knowledge. it's hard to improve without the catalyst, and studying videos will help with this. as a side note, if you find a server with a really good jumper in it, watch them and see what they do. if they're willing (high level jumpers usually are) ask them to explain to you what they did and how. remember, some people may pick up a skill inherently faster than others but everybody learns at a different pace. slower learning does not mean you are not made for rocket jumping, so keep at it and see what happens.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:59:28 PM by Melon »

SALSAA

• Intermediate
  • pipetrick connoisseur
    • View Profile
hello, i will tell you what i did to improve

go out of your way to watch and analyze youtube videos or demos from good jumpers. look for world records, top times, speedruns, and study what each jumper does in this run. you can find these videos on channels like TF2RJWeekly and TopTime, but also on smaller individual channels like gebobus's channel or xhappy's channel. check our "jump videos" section on this forum for plenty of content.

try to recreate the motions and strategies they used in their videos. this will not be easy at first but after a while of practice you will absorb a lot of knowledge. it's hard to improve without the catalyst, and studying videos will help with this. as a side note, if you find a server with a really good jumper in it, watch them and see what they do. if they're willing (high level jumpers usually are) ask them to explain to you what they did and how. remember, some people may pick up a skill inherently faster than others but everybody learns at a different pace. slower learning does not mean you are not made for rocket jumping, so keep at it and see what happens.
this
and also practice harder maps and watch tutorials
Why do you read this like it doesn't even matter just read my message its probably more important

pardinensis

• View Profile
I learned to jump on 4starters. It's a really great and challenging map and there are some servers that run 4starters 24/7 (at least here in Europe). Just try to beat some courses and most importantly: never give up, even though it may take months to get past a specific jump. One day, you'll do it and oh god, that feels great man! 8)

buttperson

• View Profile

Hateasma

Well thanks everyone and I will try my best to get better and I will do what you told me. Cheers :D

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
Don't play maps that are too hard for you or you'll waste time. Play maps above your skill level to improve but don't just jump into a t4 map (like mireal said) and grind out the first jump for 8 hours

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile
find a server that actually changes maps (east coast jump easy server) and just try to complete the map as many times before it changes

McMaster

• Novice
  • ㄟ( ̄▽ ̄ㄟ)
    • View Profile
Sometimes it takes talents to be good:
Guyyst takes nearly 2 years in rj and pro in it
I take 3 years++ and still not seeing any improvement

Guyyst is good  8)
<3 tempus
</3 tempus's lag

wtf srsly there's McMaster University
:0

nolem

• Proficient
    • Frags: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Sometimes it takes talents to be good:
Guyyst takes nearly 2 years in rj and pro in it
I take 3 years++ and still not seeing any improvement

Guyyst is good  8)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/guyyst
Hour count?? More/more focused practice makes you better??

Oatmeal

• Proficient
    • View Profile
First of all play on servers with proper map rotation like the Tempus Beginner servers. The original jump academy map isn't actually that great to be honest.

Having a consistently low ping helps quite a bit too. Try playing offline if you can't find servers with below 60 ping.

Also put these net settings in your autoexec.cfg file:
Code: [Select]
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 66
rate 60000

In terms of techniques you should focus on, to improve your jumping in the actual game (like competitive or whatever):
  • Horizontal starting jumps with right/left wallshots (because pretty much all useful jumps start with those) [Example]
  • Strafe (So people can't airshot you all the time because you jumped straight at them like an imbecile) [Example]
  • Skips and Speed Pogos [Example]
  • Ramp shots [Example]
  • Wall Shots (try to maintain and gain speed/height on walls) [Example]

Spectate good players to see how they do these. Try to always look in front of you while jumping, jumping blind is bad.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile
Make sure your physical setup isn't limiting you. A lot of guys never progress much cause they're using dumb setups like a wireless mouse on a tiny mouse pad with really high sensitivity that they can't control properly.

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Make sure your physical setup isn't limiting you. A lot of guys never progress much cause they're using dumb setups like a wireless mouse on a tiny mouse pad with really high sensitivity that they can't control properly.

Me in a nutshell...