jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

dellort's jump movie progress thread

dellort · 161 · 23638

dellort

• Novice
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I thought it would be helpful make a new thread as a place to update everyone with the editing progress of this jump movie.

I know it can be boring waiting on the release of a movie (especially if you're featured in it) so I'll do my best to provide some progress photos/clips along the way without spoiling the final version.

I'll also provide some tips/advice that I've gathered throughout my time editing tf2 movies, and if you have any questions in regards to the process of editing or specific editing tools I can try to answer those too. I generally stick to simple effects for tf2 but have done a few projects through the years that has taught me a fair amount about 3d modelling, animation, after effects, etc.

Thursday, March 3
At this point I've previewed all of the demos and have a pretty good idea of which ones will be in the movie and which will be left out. This is of course not set in stone since sometimes it just depends on how well a certain jump fits in rather than how impressive or creative the clips is.

In total I think about 80 jumps were submitted, of those I'll be using somewhere from 40-50 jumps. Right now the current task is to record all of the jumps in first person (excluding those which are clearly not up to the standard of the majority of jumps) so that I can start placing the jumps on the editing timeline and get a general idea of where different jumps will fit in nicely. Keep in mind the music has been chosen at this point (which should always be done as a first step). 

Sunday, March 6
Done recording most of the demos in first person at this point. There's only ~100gb left on my hard drive so I have to go buy some more storage space which might slow things down for a few days. In the meantime I'm going to start placing clips on the timeline and start to get a feel for the overall flow of the movie (where smooths could go, possible slow motion, etc.).

Thursday, March 10
Done recording all the jumps in first-person at this point. I also picked up a second hard-drive last night so space won't be an issue going forward. I recorded 57 jumps in total after already cutting about 25, pretty sure that's more than any of the past democalls I've made so good job on the number of submissions.

Starting to work on the intro now, just doing some logo work today then will get to actual editing this weekend. This is always my favourite part of the movie as I like to make fairly "grand" intros and it really sets the atmosphere of the rest of the video.

Somebody asked on steam my thoughts on the order in which things should be edited. I used to edit pretty much chronologically (ie. intro first, then adding clips in the order they appear in the movie) but have since found if you jump around the timeline a little it sometimes helps to give the movie a more natural flow. I still think editing the intro early on is a good idea though, plus it tends to take the most time. I should some have progress pictures/clips to show you guys early next week.

Saturday, April 2
http://imgur.com/a/PXeTn
colours aren't finalized yet, just a few scenes in the movie so far

Monday, April 4
Making pretty good progress... the intro and credits are mostly done at this point and some of the clips have been placed throughout the timeline. One of the big criticisms of Jump Fortress 2 was that the intro lasted too long so I've kept this one pretty short. For those of you who watched the stream friday night, I've also found a new second song which is much more exciting than what I planned to use initially.

Tuesday, April 12
Intro and credits are finished at this point, roughly half of the jumps still need to go into the movie but things are coming along well. I might stream again on Friday for anyone who wants to see more progress.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:37:55 AM by dellort »

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
Epic. This is gonna be a great watch, thanks again Dellort
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

Rokio

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile

protist ?

• Novice
  • *floats around aimlessly*
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Getting a peek into the mind of the master!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:41:28 PM by protist ? »

Syro

Could you list out the names of the jumpers who's demos were accepted into the movie?

It would only increase the hype to see that new jumpers are being featured.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:43:15 PM by Syro »

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
Could you list out the names of the jumpers who's demos were accepted into the movie?

Patience my dude

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile

Even if I wanted to tell you (which I don't) I'm not sure exactly which clips are going into the movie until it's nearly finished.

fishy

Patience my dude

im die

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile
Updated the main post; just a reminder if you've submitted jumps don't upload them to your own channel or send them out to other editors. If I see them showing up in other places I won't use them.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
I should some have progress pictures/clips to show you guys early next week.

so hypeeee!

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile

so hypeeee!

Are you going to carry the whole thing like you did with weightless or something ;)

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile

so hypeeee!

Are you going to carry the whole thing like you did with weightless or something ;)

nuu

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile
Apologies for the long break without any updates, I've been really slacking and haven't edited much in the past two weeks. This Friday + Saturday night I'm going to spend a lot of time on it and hopefully get a good portion of the movie done. If anyone wants to chill in mumble and keep me company let me know.

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile
Apologies for the long break without any updates, I've been really slacking and haven't edited much in the past two weeks. This Friday + Saturday night I'm going to spend a lot of time on it and hopefully get a good portion of the movie done. If anyone wants to chill in mumble and keep me company let me know.

I would if I had mumble or a mic :P

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile

Down