jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Skillsrank or not?

John · 18 · 4475

Poll

Skillsrank or not?

Yes, stick with skillsrank
5 (13.2%)
No, let's use Malt's new jump timers (~$10/server, soonTM)
4 (10.5%)
No, let's use Rob123's new jump timer ($100/server or so, soonTM)
7 (18.4%)
No, let's wait for another option to surface.
9 (23.7%)
I don't care, do whatever.
13 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
Hey, since I got in touch with a guy (Malt) who could make a new jump timer, would anyone be interested in it? Malt created the ReSurfed timer, if that is anything to add to this. It will be, however, $10 per server used-- therefore all servers that want to join in the (probable) global db (like skillsrank) must find a way to get $10.

It's up to you guys what you guys want.

CrancK

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
o.0 10€ per server?

or 100€ wtf???

10 at least seems somewhat reasonable, even though if its per server the dude obviously is thinking it won't go to a lot of servers, or else its still a ripoff but a 100€?! dudes... really.. for mods?

Not that i really dislike people making money from their efforts, but tf2 is one of the few games were people feel like they need money for making mods, you know... bit odd.

Thus.... i'mma not gonna pay that shit, but hey if it's got a cost, it'll be 100% functional and super... right?

Go for it :P

(voted dont care)

Rob123

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
$10 is really appealing and would be great to get several servers running off same db. Would be good to get a clear list of features and time estimates, as its often a trade-off between money and time. Seems like he's done a good job with the surf timer, so very keen to find out more.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • View Profile
More info: Malt's jump timer is a stripped down version of the ReSurfed timer, only having checkpoints, start/end, and some other stuff or something. If you want the FULL version it'll be $50/group of server (assuming they're running under 1 person's name)

Rob123's timer will have a bot speedrunning the entire time so that's pretty cool for people who want to see if they are on par with WR, so there's that as well.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:03:16 PM by John »

Shunix

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +2/-0
    • View Profile
For me its whatever the server owners are willing to pay for timers

obviously we all want the best mod possible but its really not down to the people who aren't paying so yeah a new database of times would be nice though

also the bot thing sounds awesome

Afterglow -tt | jump.tf

• Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
anything but skillsrank... flawed system imo

guyyst

• View Profile
I'd wait a bit longer to see how the new plugins are progressing

Gauge

• View Profile
Is there a comparison somewhere between skillsrank and the other plugins? I'd need to know what features they'd have before deciding what to choose.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • View Profile
update on malt's timer-- it'd be easier to just do a rewrite than a modification on his surf plugin-- advises us to go for other alternatives (rob123 and skillsrank)

SilentEcho

• View Profile
I agree with guyyst on this one. Also Rob's timer sounds great however, if it stays at $100 per server I'd honestly rather go with Skillsrank or wait for something else.

Shunix

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
heres my idea of a perfect speedrun plugin

separate timers for soldier and demo + separate leader-boards for each class (and an overall one?) removable speed-runs maybe if you got a time you weren't happy with or used a plugin like regen

force stock loadout (this one may require some alterations to maps eg: water triples without overheal etc)

a race mode

a way of starting a speedrun without a pole times can change due to pole placement for better or worse.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:04:13 PM by Shunix »

CrancK

• View Profile
Deleting them from ingame very unlikely to be in, since that would enable even mediocre hackers to just.. delete the entire db.
Could perhaps have like after you did the run before its uploaded, the question wether you want it uploaded or not i guess.

Starting without pole.... well like the model itself doesnt actually do anything, if you mean like... something that fits EXACTLY inside a corridor of a map... afaik, in sourcemod we can only make new brushes in cubical forms which ofc clips through walls, so would need to have the mapmaker put it in, which ofc doest work for any map already made.

also, i'd feel any new timer plugin would need at least all the stuff that skillsrank has, ESPECIALLY if it's payed for.

my wishlisty:

+track time per checkpoint
+tps per jump
+race function
+reverse jumping function (as in enabling the map to be done backward)
+noclip thingy inside the plugin, so admins cant "accidently" cheat times
+challenge time function, so you could pick some time to race against
+bot idea maybe, tho have to see it first, so many things that could be horrible about it
+track ppls loadout, since ppl seem to care
+uploading/retrieving times dynamically, instead of skillsrank at start/end of map
+proper ui, if it were possible... which it isnt... so just menuformat maybe...
+if really going all the way, enable ppl to pick and choose which weapons to use for run (and ofc track choices)
+integrate JA + make JA work properly without all sorts of weirdness
+more jump infos (think q3defrag info about jumping), again would be horrible ui tho
+integrate bcheck (and make ui element rather then command? like overbounce checker in defrag)
+integrate hide for when on speedrun
+prolly more that i'm forgetting now

but ye... wishlist, not all that realistic, still tho 100$ = more then 5x the game itself... so... i dunno, in comparison to that it seems more then reasonable to expect, tho ofc team of devs vs 1 dev, but thats not the customers problem...

ahwell, ill stop being rambly now ^^

Jur

• girl jumper
    • View Profile
nobody is going to pay 100$ for a plugin, that's ridiculous

Shunix

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Can we hurry up and get a plugin? im bored  :'(

• Novice
  • youtube.com/allebwai
    • View Profile
    • lol4
Can we hurry up and get a plugin? im bored  :'(

its on its way im pretty sure ;))));));))
Make sure you subscribe to youtube.com/allebwai and follow twitch.tv/alletf for high quality content on a daily basis.