jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Tip of the Hats 2016

Vexon · 213 · 35054

Zike

• Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
if the pipe course thing happens it'd be best if it was like the engi jumping thing last year where there's like 15 people doing it all at once imo

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • :}
    • View Profile

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile

879m

• Proficient
  • Techa mengu, go!
    • View Profile
Blind race is a great idea, hard part is finding people who haven't played a map but are good enough to be on toth or finding a map that people haven't played. Someone would likely have to make a map especially for this, but perhaps the collab map could be used for this.

Also the TAS competition sounds awesome, just get a map that is short enough that 3 or 4 runs can be shown in 5 minutes and play them one after the other. Or we could really hope the collab is good and have a blind race on it and at the end show the map decimated by TAS that people made during the segment.

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile

Bungee Deathmatch?

oooo i forgot about this!!!!

I thought this was abandoned. Honestly I think this would be a really cool thing to do for the donation incentive.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
The bungee thing SEEMS like a good idea, but I doubt it would actually work. It'd be a lot slower live, as airshots in bungee aren't THAT frequent, and it isn't really a "jumper" thing either.
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile
Depends if we change it so that it's market gardening, or would that make it even harder to do? Not sure. But Market Gardening seems more of a "jumper" type of thing

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
Depends if we change it so that it's market gardening, or would that make it even harder to do? Not sure. But Market Gardening seems more of a "jumper" type of thing

Could be possible.
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

.flac

• View Profile
What turned me off the most about last toth is the minimal commentary by the jumpers, and the fact that a lot of times the jumpers didn't really co-operate in answering the broadcasters questions about jumping, nor they tried developing interesting discussions from these questions or anything.
I think this year there should definitely be a lot more commentary about jumping in general, and about the speedrunning community of jumping in particular. Also explaining stuff for the people who never jumped before (which is most of the toth stream viewers) so that they could actually understand what they're seeing and enjoy it would be cool, as well as giving them information about jumping resources like these forums, jump servers like Tempus and notable youtube channels: TF2RJweekly and other channels of different jumpers (also yea, I know they talked about TF2RJweekly and jump.tf last toth but too briefly imo). However, putting these things aside - focusing on explaining specific techniques that are used on the maps being ran while they are being ran on stream is the most important imo: talking about the difficulty (by explaining tiers for example) of the techniques, what it takes in order to perform them, how much time it takes to learn them and get consistent at them; all of these things together will ultimately make it so that the viewers could put what they see into perspective, thus enabling them to appreciate it and to find it interesting and engaging.
But yea, in general - to me it just felt that last toth had too many awkward silences that needed to be filled with helpful and interesting information to the viewers, hopefully this year it could happen.

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
What turned me off the most about last toth is the minimal commentary by the jumpers, and the fact that a lot of times the jumpers didn't really co-operate in answering the broadcasters questions about jumping, nor they tried developing interesting discussions from these questions or anything.
I think this year there should definitely be a lot more commentary about jumping in general, and about the speedrunning community of jumping in particular. Also explaining stuff for the people who never jumped before (which is most of the toth stream viewers) so that they could actually understand what they're seeing and enjoy it would be cool, as well as giving them information about jumping resources like these forums, jump servers like Tempus and notable youtube channels: TF2RJweekly and other channels of different jumpers (also yea, I know they talked about TF2RJweekly and jump.tf last toth but too briefly imo). However, putting these things aside - focusing on explaining specific techniques that are used on the maps being ran while they are being ran on stream is the most important imo: talking about the difficulty (by explaining tiers for example) of the techniques, what it takes in order to perform them, how much time it takes to learn them and get consistent at them; all of these things together will ultimately make it so that the viewers could put what they see into perspective, thus enabling them to appreciate it and to find it interesting and engaging.
But yea, in general - to me it just felt that last toth had too many awkward silences that needed to be filled with helpful and interesting information to the viewers, hopefully this year it could happen.

Agreed on almost everything.

Jumpers gotta open their mouths and speak up god dammit

Oatmeal

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Commentary was better in the year before last I think. I liked it when afterglow and the other guys explained how the jumps and techniques work and whats tricky about them.

Most of the guys who watch toth don't know shit about jumping, they mostly don't have a clue whats even going on on the screen. Especially when there are bounces, bhops, wallbugs, speedshots and other engine abuse based things. Looks completely random to someone who isn't into jumping.

Melon

• Proficient
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
do NOT call anyone out on stream this year, that was a HUGE mistake last year that just made everyone look bad

a charity stream is not the place to do that kind of shit

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
one of the things missing from the last toth was giving jump.tf/tf2rjweekly/jump academy the spotlight for learning how to jump. we never gave the viewers resources to get better. we just told them to grind jump maps and that's it. last toth was a shitshow because no one could actually provide information digestible to the viewer. when we were running maps there wasn't much going on other than "oh man he fucked up there" or "wow what a good strat" and we didn't explain why or anything

the jumping aspect was not newb-friendly which is what toth is supposed to be. let's change that this year. it might be boring for all of you guys out there, but it'll be great for those who haven't heard of jumping or people who want to start jumping but don't know how to.

also the powerbounce/rockethop donation argument was pretty dumb considering literally almost no one knew what the fuck a bounce was and it was just confusing for viewers