Welcome B)

Tip of the Hats 2016

Vexon · 213 · 35060

minty

• Novice
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • smell me
    • View Profile
tbh i've always felt like the races in previous toth events were pretty lackluster, with the exception of a couple. I think this was cus of the difficulty of the maps, and the difference in skill/map experience. I think having races on smaller, easier, and speedrun friendly maps like jump_elephant, jump_beyond or, as mentioned earlier, jump_pdidey is a good idea. Like when we had the race on soar that time, a T5 map, Aurora won with ease, and the only other actual contender for the win was Afterglow i think, which didn't make for a very exciting race. I imagine racing on an easier map with as many contestants as possible would be much faster paced and closely matched, which also might mean we could pump out multiple races in a single 10 minute session or something.

This isn't to say we should ditch out completely on hard map races, because they can be good too, but i think we should make a better effort of having equally skilled players on a map that no single person excels at because of the amount of hours they have spent on it personally compared to others. The blind races idea would be great for this as well.

Also, having a betting system of some sort in races would be epic, but i have no idea how that would be done.

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile
I think starting with both a demo and soldier showcase of a "medium" map (beef is a little too easy and would just be kinda boring to watch) is a good idea, as the jumper is going through whoever is in charge of explaining mechanics can go over the basics. If anyone has suggestions for a map (one for soldier and one for demo) ideally it covers a range of techniques and can be consistently run in ~5 mins or less.

If you're planning on running any very difficult map showcases I'd actually recommend a few jumpers to play it. In the surf segment whenever they run surf_lt_omnific they get multiple people since it takes off some of the pressure of a single surfer and hopefully avoids the stream getting stuck at one stage for too long. The same would apply here, having more people will reduce the chance of one level taking too long.

I think after the two intro maps, filling the rest of the first hour with showcases and possibly a race or two is good. As minty said, picking maps where jumpers will stay relatively close might be more interesting, it could also be fun to see maps where different routes are possible such as jump_bigbutt or defrag_xelerate.

The second hour will probably be filled by the race on jump_4dakids, whatever the donation incentive is (assuming it is met), and a TAS showcase at the end if you wish to include it (that could also be the donation incentive if no better ideas come up).

These are all just suggestions but I think that sort of general structure will work well.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
tbh i've always felt like the races in previous toth events were pretty lackluster, with the exception of a couple. I think this was cus of the difficulty of the maps, and the difference in skill/map experience. I think having races on smaller, easier, and speedrun friendly maps like jump_elephant, jump_beyond or, as mentioned earlier, jump_pdidey is a good idea. Like when we had the race on soar that time, a T5 map, Aurora won with ease, and the only other actual contender for the win was Afterglow i think, which didn't make for a very exciting race. I imagine racing on an easier map with as many contestants as possible would be much faster paced and closely matched, which also might mean we could pump out multiple races in a single 10 minute session or something.

This isn't to say we should ditch out completely on hard map races, because they can be good too, but i think we should make a better effort of having equally skilled players on a map that no single person excels at because of the amount of hours they have spent on it personally compared to others. The blind races idea would be great for this as well.

Also, having a betting system of some sort in races would be epic, but i have no idea how that would be done.

I like this idea. With truktruk doing a playthrough and commentary of beef at the beginning, I think it would be cool to race that map later on. This way people can see the difference between an average jumper (truk) and pros (pros). I put beef and elephant on the schedule for now, just to fill up some space. It may change later on.
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
I think starting with both a demo and soldier showcase of a "medium" map (beef is a little too easy and would just be kinda boring to watch) is a good idea, as the jumper is going through whoever is in charge of explaining mechanics can go over the basics. If anyone has suggestions for a map (one for soldier and one for demo) ideally it covers a range of techniques and can be consistently run in ~5 mins or less.

If you're planning on running any very difficult map showcases I'd actually recommend a few jumpers to play it. In the surf segment whenever they run surf_lt_omnific they get multiple people since it takes off some of the pressure of a single surfer and hopefully avoids the stream getting stuck at one stage for too long. The same would apply here, having more people will reduce the chance of one level taking too long.

I think after the two intro maps, filling the rest of the first hour with showcases and possibly a race or two is good. As minty said, picking maps where jumpers will stay relatively close might be more interesting, it could also be fun to see maps where different routes are possible such as jump_bigbutt or defrag_xelerate.

The second hour will probably be filled by the race on jump_4dakids, whatever the donation incentive is (assuming it is met), and a TAS showcase at the end if you wish to include it (that could also be the donation incentive if no better ideas come up).

These are all just suggestions but I think that sort of general structure will work well.

I do kinda like having the grand finale type of stuff being towards the end. I will be putting a lot of votes up for maps people want to see in races, the donation incentive, etc... and everything in that schedule will be getting moved around and such. Remember everyone this is a super duper rough draft as of now.

minty

• Novice
  • smell me
    • View Profile

I agree with this. Off the top of my head I'd recommend jump_junk for soldier and jump_aurora for demo. They're both of a pretty intermediate difficulty and cover a good range of techniques imo. I'd be happy to showcase either one  8)

Also with the difficult map playthroughs, i think that idea could be good. I'm a bit worried i might mess up my run with so many people watching, even though normally it's easy to get a sub 10 min run of finite. Having a couple others running with me would certainly take a lot of weight off my shoulders.

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile
I agree with this. Off the top of my head I'd recommend jump_junk for soldier and jump_aurora for demo. They're both of a pretty intermediate difficulty and cover a good range of techniques imo. I'd be happy to showcase either one  8)

Also with the difficult map playthroughs, i think that idea could be good. I'm a bit worried i might mess up my run with so many people watching, even though normally it's easy to get a sub 10 min run of finite. Having a couple others running with me would certainly take a lot of weight off my shoulders.

Also in the off chance a jumper lags out, doesn't show up, etc., there will still be someone ready to go.

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
Just wanna say, now that we get to see the schedule: H Y P E

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
just gotta make sure if we do that both jumpers are around the same skill level or it would be more pressure (embarrassing) on the losing player sitting 10 jumps away from the winning player

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
Just wanna say, now that we get to see the schedule: H Y P E

if you wanna call it that xD
it's barely a google doc right now with how clustered and unorganized it is. It will change drastically I'm sure....we have over 2 months ahaha

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile
just gotta make sure if we do that both jumpers are around the same skill level or it would be more pressure (embarrassing) on the losing player sitting 10 jumps away from the winning player

It's not meant to be a race though, the camera can just stay on whoever is ahead and only switch over if the other player passes. This way all the jumps are still shown and if one person does fall behind nobody will even see where they get stuck at.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
Perhaps we need some new hosts

also, no frig off.
..there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes during toth you don't know about. Last year guyyst and I weren't that talkative during some parts of the event because we were constantly getting maps lined up, changing servers, banning people because of a hiccup we had (my fault i dont wanna talk about it), and a bunch of other things. It isn't just sit there, watch, and talk about whats going on. That's why this year I have asked a few people to help out and join the mumble so we can have more talk talk, less silence silence. I've also asked a few people to help out with server management so maps, banning, etc won't be an issue....hopefully.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile

It's not meant to be a race though, the camera can just stay on whoever is ahead and only switch over if the other player passes. This way all the jumps are still shown and if one person does fall behind nobody will even see where they get stuck at.

Now that you put it that way, I'm sold. We just have to make sure not to put gebo in an NA server with an NA jumper...he made The United States of Jumpers look terrible last year.  ::)

Zike

• Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
What about also promoting beginnings 4 at the end of the jump section? It'd still be a little ways out even when toth finally rolls around but it might get some more people involved than we'd typically see in it.

Syro

Perhaps we need some new hosts

also, no frig off.
..there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes during toth you don't know about. Last year guyyst and I weren't that talkative during some parts of the event because we were constantly getting maps lined up, changing servers, banning people because of a hiccup we had (my fault i dont wanna talk about it), and a bunch of other things. It isn't just sit there, watch, and talk about whats going on. That's why this year I have asked a few people to help out and join the mumble so we can have more talk talk, less silence silence. I've also asked a few people to help out with server management so maps, banning, etc won't be an issue....hopefully.

Oh, sorry for my ignorant suggestion.

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile
I think it should be organized so that we start with easy map , easy map race, med map/race, hard map/race, etc

maybe finale is collab map