plep · 3 · 931

plep

• Advanced
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • hi
    • View Profile
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hello, gamers!

Recently, while working on my new map project (fresh  8) 8) 8) ) and after asking my boy flac to do some tests, he sent me a demo of a strat he found. The demo seemed glitched/corrupted but I realized that he was just running a different version of the jump (since I overwrited the files names). So I did a test by myself.

Ok now, MAYBE it only applies to maps with very little changes (I'll have to do more tests) but I highly doubt it.
Thing is flac didnt encounter that problem and just couldn't launch his own demo on the new version of the level I sent him (with the same name). The most likely explanation is that the problem is happening during the compiling process within hammer.

Here's what I did:

I created 2 versions of the same map (with 1 cube being at a different place on each version) that I first compiled under different names.
Version 1: http://puu.sh/qr9g6/67018a1bda.jpg
Version 2: http://puu.sh/qr9fD/a9901bf330.jpg

I recorded a demo of me jumping around on Version 1 and then compiled Version 2 under the name of Version 1.
Played the demo again, boom. My character acts exactly as expected (physics, collisions etc), except the map isn't the right one (character and projectiles are clipping through walls etc).

Maybe this was happening before the Meet Your Match update, but this REALLY surprised me.
Also I don't see a huge practical use yet, so far it's pretty much irrelevant but it's a very cool bug imo!

Side note: I only tested this with POV demos.

UPDATE: this, apparently, happened before the Meet Your Match update.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:23:53 PM by Sir Plopy »

?oss

Is this a surprise for you
You can replay any demo almost on an any map by simply just renaming the map

plep

• Advanced
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • hi
    • View Profile
Is this a surprise for you
You can replay any demo almost on an any map by simply just renaming the map

It is indeed a surprise to me cause last time I tried doing that (prolly a long time ago), I was getting an error message saying that the map is different.