jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Editing tips thread

nick · 12 · 4064

nick

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +2/-0
    • View Profile
didnt see a thread like this on the forums so i figured id put up one. this is a thread for anybody who wants to ask questions about editing and anybody who wants to answer them, or anyone who just wants to share some cool tips to help raise the quality of jump videos.

plep

• Advanced
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • hi
    • View Profile
I'm not asking for a tip but I have a question about editors of the community: how many of you are using pre-made compositions for their edits?

(not trying to mock anyone doing it, I'm being curious nothing more)

nick

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +2/-0
    • View Profile
I'm not asking for a tip but I have a question about editors of the community: how many of you are using pre-made compositions for their edits?

i started off using them but ive broken off and just used what looks nice to me, occasionally i'll start off with one and make adjustments but more often then not i start from scratch

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile

whats a premade composition?
The Rat Master

Syro

I always start from scratch.

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
whats a premade composition?

In After Effects (mostly), there are pre-made layers of editing material ready to use available if you do a quick Google Research. Many people use them to either don't lose time on simple stuff or just cheat to create nice effects (using what other editors created). It's a matter of choice obviously.

Kendrick.

• Proficient
    • View Profile

Reich | Jump.tf

• Intermediate
  • Wallbugs are fun.
    • View Profile
This thread is already derailing.

Any tips on transitions? I feel like transitioning from jump to jump in a video is situational because of the music and theme of the video. Are there any good transition types/tricks besides fade/dissolve?

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile

Any tips on transitions? I feel like transitioning from jump to jump in a video is situational because of the music and theme of the video. Are there any good transition types/tricks besides fade/dissolve?

Usually a regular fade is the way to go if you can't find anything fitting, I think a good rule for editing in general is not to put something in just for the sake of it being there. Overusing the stock effects in Vegas/Premiere/AE can make a video look fairly amateurish, there's a reason you don't typically see professional movies using anything beyond straight cuts/fades. 

Here's a good example of lots of different transitions which don't rely on the standard effects you see used in an editor. It uses a lot of SFM however a lot of them would be possible to create from in-game recordings as well.

Of course that vid takes it to the extreme since there's a new transition between almost every clip.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
thread cleaned please leave your personal problems outside the forums or I will have to start enforcing the moderation rule again

Kendrick.

• Proficient
    • View Profile

i usually using fading and adding some effect (sometime) to make looks nice.

edit : like dellort said , don't really rely too much with basic transition  8)
Boom Boom

Reich | Jump.tf

• Intermediate
  • Wallbugs are fun.
    • View Profile
Also, the transition at 1:14 was pretty cool. Guess a mix of SFM (for the viewmodel) and cutting between recordings?

*I edited this one just to keep it from starting a flame war or something stupid.*
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:44:47 PM by Reich | Jump.tf »