Welcome B)

Post Tip of the Hats 2016 Discussion Thread

Vexon · 89 · 16802

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
I like the idea of the blind race, we just need to do t3 maps instead. I think people went a bit overboard on the difficulty/confusion for this toth collab, maybe they weren't aware that it would be a blind race?
People never listen when you say you have to make easy jumps...

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I like the idea of the blind race, we just need to do t3 maps instead. I think people went a bit overboard on the difficulty/confusion for this toth collab, maybe they weren't aware that it would be a blind race?

People never listen when you say you have to make easy jumps...

I'd be fine screening jumps and either getting the creator to make the jump easier if they are too hard, or do it myself.

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile
the camera man always fumbles around and we end up seeing either the same jump for half the segment or missing out of parts of the map completely

This was my fault. Nolem made a plugin that shows who's in the lead but I accidentally broke it by not switching servers on jump_4dakids

I still think if you want races there should me a max of 2 people

Superchuck

• Proficient
  • y-you too
    • View Profile
1) Races with 5 people who have contention to win the race (i.e. no EU on NA race and vice versa - with the exception of Gebo, because fuck he can race on NA ping)

2) Blind race next year with us clearly explaining it is a blind race. Making it a tier 3 with all UNIQUE jumps, not hard/gimmicky, but unique.

3) We gotta have more than 2 hours. But also not longer in one sitting, as people would get bored. Best to have it split up into multiple days. Like 2 hours for 2 days.

4) Get more people helping you out VexON

5) Get a cameraman who knows whats going on

Overall, I liked it (totally not because I won the blind race). It was a huge $$$ making session so I feel confident that ToTH will expand the allotted time for next year.
The Rat Master

Zike

• Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
1) Races with 5 people who have contention to win the race (i.e. no EU on NA race and vice versa - with the exception of Gebo, because fuck he can race on NA ping)
excuse me I was doing better than kucino at one point the one time I raced with eu ping in toth 2015

Tice

I agree with all of the above and would like to add that you should bhop around less when the cam is on you. It makes the entire thing really nervous. Just stand still when you're not jumping.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile

The amount of people honestly should not matter. We have a plugin which follows the player in 1st, and cycles between players if 2 or more people are on one jump. The only reason this didn't work with the blind race is because we were actually on the wrong server (west and it should have been east), which was my fault. I forgot to change servers because I was doing a million things....which reverts back to me needing more co-hosts who actually help with the behind the scenes stuff instead of just talking. I'm, not blaming anyone, I didn't really actually ask for anyone's help and I probably should have.
EDIT: for the cube race, it was working fine but idiots started at the wrong course so the camera followed those morons. Also, trying to get like 5 people in a race is very hard because nobody listens and everyone starts joining a team. At that point I get overwhelmed and I just let people join in, which isn't really a big deal. Having a lot of people racing is better imo, as long as we have the plugin nolem made working.

2) Blind race next year with us clearly explaining it is a blind race. Making it a tier 3 with all UNIQUE jumps, not hard/gimmicky, but unique.

This may come as a surprise, but if you check the thread for the making of jump_4dakids, it was stated multiple times that it NEEDS to be a low tier map. A map FRIENDLY for a first time playthrough that can be done in a small time frame. I don't know why people never listen, this isn't the first time this has happened..

3) We gotta have more than 2 hours. But also not longer in one sitting, as people would get bored. Best to have it split up into multiple days. Like 2 hours for 2 days.

Couldn't agree more. This AND the hosts coming from the toth crew's end need to let us do our thing. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to talk, but when getawhale is sitting there reading donations for 20 minutes with no pauses while we're waiting to start a map, it gets frustrating. He wouldn't pause for 2 seconds so we couldn't interrupt him to let him know the map was ready, and this happened multiple times. I'm not talkin shit on Getawhale, he does his job well...maybe a bit...too well. He needs to know when to put a sock in it, basically.

4) Get more people helping you out VexON

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Big yes to this.

5) Get a cameraman who knows whats going on

For the most part, they do know what they are doing. They have multiple people switching roles, so some may be better than others, but it is hard when you don't know every jump map...which is like 99% of the TF2 community. nolem's plugin worked VERY well, and I think the camera operators did really well when they had his plugin to rely on. Once again going back to the blind race, it wasn't working with that map because I accidentally had us on the wrong server.

Overall, I liked it (totally not because I won the blind race). It was a huge $$$ making session so I feel confident that ToTH will expand the allotted time for next year.

I agree. This year may have not gone as smooth as we planned, and there were some problems behind the scenes, but to someone watching the stream I think it came out pretty good. For everyone who knows what the schedule looked like, it was pretty much a disaster; we only got about half way done with everything on the list. Big shoutout to Reneux and Kendrick for making their movies, they definitely made the jump segment a hundred million times better than it would have been without them. Honestly shoutout to everyone who contributed, you guys are legit dopeness

EDIT: I also want to note that a lot of people somehow got the IP and password and shit and started joining, which really shouldn't be a surprise given the amount of memers in the community. But yeah a lot of people who weren't supposed to be there were there, which also caused another problem. People were joining races they shouldn't have been and not just that, they were cheating and the camera would follow them because of the zoning of the map (cube race).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:15:39 PM by Vexon »
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
I agree with all of the above and would like to add that you should bhop around less when the cam is on you. It makes the entire thing really nervous. Just stand still when you're not jumping.

I also agree with this. Good to know, but I doubt I will be doing much jumping at all next year. The only reason I played was because truktruk wasn't comfortable taking that role because he didn't think he was good enough. It was pretty much a last second change.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
I was watching the VOD back and I noticed that during the playthroughs the spec plugin would switch to person b before person a, the one they were watching, had finished the jump which made it a bit disorientating and just made a bunch of unnecessary gaps in the map coverage. So for the plugin there should be a system to only change when the person being spectated isn't in the air, or some other way of telling when they finish/mess up the jump.

To avoid another mess up with the new map we should either make sure both NA servers have the same zone files or separate the NA server sections with EU or AU in between. Preferably both. OR just find a Texas/Central server.

fishy

We have four central based servers at Jump Academy you can use next year if it comes down to it. All in Dallas.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:46:42 AM by fishy »

bshear

• View Profile
If zigzati wants to race with JA, don't just let him, for instance. Pissed a lot of JA folks way off.

why lmao

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
I was actually about to kick zigzati off the server but then the announcer read his name.  At that point, I just had to let it go or else the viewers would start noticing the disorganization.

This TotH event was a good learning experience for me.  For all events that I am involved in for the future, we will forgo the password method and instead there will simply be a plugin kicking all players with Steam ID's not in the master whitelist and forcing the spectator team on players on the server not on the corresponding whitelist per race.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:10:13 PM by AI »

Kendrick.

• Proficient
    • View Profile

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
Also, make sure people don't join races they shouldn't be in next time around. If zigzati wants to race with JA, don't just let him, for instance. Pissed a lot of JA folks way off. If you can't trust them, don't give them the password. If you can't trust someone else to not give out the password, don't let them in either. Exclusivity can help keep shit clean.

You can't trust like more than 50% of the jump community lol...Zigzati wasn't even supposed to be in the server idk how he got the password and shit, and I wasn't sure at the time and I saw him on a team so I read his name off. Not much you can do, it isn't that big of a deal. It's not like he won or anything

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
I was actually about to kick zigzati off the server but then the announcer read his name.  At that point, I just had to let it go or else the viewers would start noticing the disorganization.

This TotH event was a good learning experience for me.  For all events that I am involved in for the future, we will forgo the password method and instead there will simply be a plugin kicking all players with Steam ID's not in the master whitelist and forcing the spectator team on players on the server not on the corresponding whitelist per race.

Smart man. Yeah a lot of people were there that were not supposed to be. Luckily everything still went pretty smooth, at least from the streams perspective