Welcome B)

Post Tip of the Hats 2016 Discussion Thread

Vexon · 89 · 16806

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
tl;dr basically this community is too full of memes to do anything seriously and we're gonna have to wait for ai our 1 and only hope to save us from this atrocity

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
It actually irritated the folks who joined the preliminary race but couldn't land the top 5 spots, as well as those who did win, and the JA staff who were watching it happen in general.  But that's all in the past now, and like vexon said, there was no damage on the stream and it still ran smoothly, which was the objective of ToTH.  Remember, it was for the kids.  Anything else is secondary.

We'll have a fool-proof solution with the whitelist plugin for future events, so no more fuss is needed.

---
Another issue I noticed is the loss of time keeping may be improved by not actually have the coordinator for the segment be in-game on the stream.  Vexon had his hands full talking on the stream to notice the time that has passed, and couldn't respond of any concerns I made in chat without interrupting the flow of the stream.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
Both of you are right ykno

Thanks for replying so I can get 1 more post towards my big 1000
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
I also removed the spectator list plugin this year since last year the streamer had a huge list of names on the screen on the stream.  This was working well for a while until we had so many players that we can't tell who's being spectated by the streamer.

Though even if we did have it on, we still wouldn't be able to tell since, unlike last year, the camera guy used an invisible character for the nickname this time.

So for future events, I'll have to edit the speclist plugin to not show for the camera guy but show for all other players and also display a distinctive name for the streamer like STREAM CAMERA.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
It would be better if it showed just the top 3 players imo. I thought that's what it did

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
No no, I mean this speclist plugin.

It's the one with the player list on the right side of the screen.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
Oh I see
Yeah that's prolly a good idea then

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy

porkie

• Intermediate
    • Frags: +1/-0
  • play momentum mod instead
    • View Profile
i think it went ok but we need fuck loads more time. we cut like 6 segments out and what the fuck even happened in the cube thing, that was supposed to be like 3 people but ended up as a 10 ppl clusterfuck where i didnt get dragged into live even tho i was supposed to be talking asdfshgdfjhjhlgjlkjhk rip australia
:^)

HyperDan

• Advanced
  • Retired Jumper; 2014-2021
    • View Profile
tl;dr basically this community is too full of memes to do anything seriously and we're gonna have to wait for ai our 1 and only hope to save us from this atrocity

I really tried to help this TOTH, man. Even though meming is my job, I still took this whole thing super seriously to get it running.

EDIT: I'm going to extend on why I joined a bit way through the jump race.

So a few minutes before the JA run or into it, mireal told me the password to the servers, I told AI, but I realised he was busy, so I went to Andemand. Andemand talked to me about it but he said he wasn't going to ban him, so I joined, then got mireal to join, inadvertently getting him (and myself, for good reasons) banned. I remember a few month ago when I was trying to get a trickjump for a jump movie (don't think it was Reneux's) and I was in the server with mireal, he started causing chaos and disrupting us (as it was multiple people). I just assumed that he'd try and do it again in the JA race. Sorry if this was the wrong thing to do, I apologise. I just did what I thought was best. If this was wrong, I am deeply sorry and will not do it next time. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:35:30 AM by HyperDan! »

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile

"Whisker is a Nazi" - someone in the greenroom

Ah the greenroom. I would've cut so many of you fuckers 5 mins before we went live if I could.

This is the biggest TF2 event of the year. The guys running for the last 4 years want it to go well and cut anything that could ruin it. They want the thousands of people that are handing over their money for a charity to have a good experience. Yeah they sure are Nazis.

It's 2 hours. You people can't avoid being complete shitheads for 2 fucking hours?

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
i think it went ok but we need fuck loads more time. we cut like 6 segments out and what the fuck even happened in the cube thing, that was supposed to be like 3 people but ended up as a 10 ppl clusterfuck where i didnt get dragged into live even tho i was supposed to be talking asdfshgdfjhjhlgjlkjhk rip australia

The above commentary was just too long and I agree with you.
With that said, jumping is already one of the longest toth segment each year (2 hours being the maximum for anything) and we should be satisfied with what we can show. 3 hours of jumping is definitly too much for toth so maaaaybe next year they can organize it to put a filler pub after jumping so we can grind like 20 minutes extra?

Zike

• Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
but I doubt I will be doing much jumping at all next year
rip the heaven showcase forever to be dead after the cut from toth 2015's schedule

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile

The above commentary was just too long and I agree with you.
With that said, jumping is already one of the longest toth segment each year (2 hours being the maximum for anything) and we should be satisfied with what we can show. 3 hours of jumping is definitly too much for toth so maaaaybe next year they can organize it to put a filler pub after jumping so we can grind like 20 minutes extra?

Or have 2 different days of an hour and a half each or somethin (or not do a stupid commentary xD)

but I doubt I will be doing much jumping at all next year
rip the heaven showcase forever to be dead after the cut from toth 2015's schedule

Nobody will ever see heaven until they die ZIKE

dellort

• Novice
    • View Profile
Just my opinion on some of the discussed points:

- From the stream perspective it wasn't evident that things weren't going as planned, the overall vibe from the jumpers seemed more positive this year (less shit talking each other and no callouts, talking about cheating times, etc.). On the flipside the actual jumping that was featured (with the exception of the movies) was less impressive than last year, the blind race and jump tutorial took up a little too much time and they tend are less impressive to see than map showcases. I do think the jump tutorial was appreciated however, so I wouldn't scrap it completely but next year definitely cut it down to the essentials so it can be done in <15 mins.

- Two people per showcase may seem redundant at times but I still think it's safer than one person who may potentially get stuck at a single jump for ages. The point isn't for both players to wait for each other and finish together though, once one person finishes the stream should move on to the next map to get more jumping in.

- Unwanted players will always try to find their way into the server since they crave attention.

- If you're planning to make a movie for the start of the stream again I think a movie only ~2-3 minutes or so to hype up the event might be better, then finish off with a longer movie. Having two full movies is a lot of content that eats into the timeframe.

- If you do get more allotted time next year it should be split up, more than 2 hours at once will be too much imo

Overall it went pretty well though and I have a feeling the lessons learned from this year will ensure that the 2017 jump segment is the best ever

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:30:52 PM by dellort »