Rubobin · 13 · 1519

Rubobin

• Frags: +0/-0
  • just be kind
    • View Profile
    • The Unusual Pootis Website.
Hii there, 

I've recently made a post about the maps I was making,
I've adjusted them, tweaked and fixed some stuff. Everything worked fine.
Now I added 1 bonus jump, and when I test the map, it crashes my TF2 and I don't know why.
Also manually selecting it in the offline practise doesn't work, it closes my TF2 without hesitation.

I checked on Hammer with the "Check for problems" but it said none were found.
Please look into this here's the ZIP: https://www.dropbox.com/s/krt267204uaxajr/jump_unu.zip?dl=0

~Unu

• Intermediate
  • bind space hud_reloadscheme
    • View Profile
    • CFG.TF
I would suggest to start with loading a pointfile and fixing a leak you have in your map.
Also, around  (2048.0 -3584.0 -1550.5) and serveral other places there probably is a very huge brush, you can just split it into two parts to make this error gone (the map will work with this error anyway, but still).

You can check for errors in your map here http://www.interlopers.net/errors/ by copy/pasting your compile log there. Hammer's problem checker usually shows other kinds of errors.

Spoiler: Compile log (click to show/hide)

Rense

• View Profile
There are 2 func_water_analog without any solids.
Check: Map>Entity Report
Delete the func_water_analog without solids
It's easy to see if you select all of them and press "ctrl h".
Use "u" to unhide after you are done.

Rubobin

• just be kind
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies,

it took me all day to figure out all the different issues, even the ones that you didn't list.
after a lot of googling and fixing, after 26minutes of compiling it finished.

But it still doesn't want to work properly, I looked through the Load Pointfile and all that, replaced the water_analogs with func_details and deleted and recreated the lights, aswell as closing the "leaks"

If someone wants to have a look at it and possibly fix it for me, because I'm doing everything according to what tutorials tell me at this point and it's not helping :/

~unu

?oss

26minutes is too much unless you have a pc from 2006
I also recommend you to use VBCT to compile your maps
dude have you been working on grid size of 1 thats disgusting
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:50:48 PM by тoss »

plep

• Advanced
  • hi
    • View Profile
You shouldn't focus too hard on fixing really broken stuff. Just try again with a fresh and better project, now that you know which mistakes to avoid.

But good luck if you're gonna keep going with all this :P

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
wtf of course you need to fix everything before moving on to a new project otherwise you're gonna have a broken map under your name and no one wants that

sealing leaks shouldn't be too difficult read this: http://backup.jump.tf/forums/forums.tf2jump.com/index.php/topic%2c506.0.html

if your compile time takes 26 minutes then load the portal file and see where there's a ton of blue lines... the objects with a ton of blue lines is causing an increased compile time and you should turn those objects into func_details.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From an attempted compile of your map you are still leaking things (so entities are somehow reaching the void...). I checked the first error I found and I noticed that a floor was func_detailed. You cannot make any bounding blocks of a map from the inside to the void an entity brush.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also please do not map off the grid or on size 1 grid. You should only be using size 1 grid for very detailed things and you should ideally map on 32 grid or 16 grid, going down as you need more precision.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:45:27 PM by John »

Rubobin

• just be kind
    • View Profile
Agains thanks for the replies,

I never watched any mapmaking tutorials before I started, so yeah that explains a lot of my issues.

Is there a way to create the Portal File, because when I try to load it it's not showing any. even though it's compiled and all.
Also I don't quite get what you're saying here "You cannot make any bounding blocks of a map from the inside to the void an entity brush."

I never anticipated to have this many issues with it lol

~Unu

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
Also I don't quite get what you're saying here "You cannot make any bounding blocks of a map from the inside to the void an entity brush."
Any block that is the last barrier between your map and the void can't be an entity, as this will cause a leak. For vvis.exe to properly calculate a visleaf (tells your game when to render specific parts of the map by calculating what is visible from within any part of the visleaf) it needs to know what is inside of your map and what isn't, and it is basing this off of world brushes (regular blocks compiled during vbsp.exe). So a gaping hole in the ground that leads to the void is going to cause it to not run and throw leaks in your direction.

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile
For the portal file stuff, there's a camera setting which allows you to see all the visleaf/portal information. Links below give some explanation of what we are all rambling on about.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visleaf
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visibility_optimization

To keep it simple, you want at all times a sealed box (or any other hollowed out shape) which is made entirely of standard world brushes (not entities, funcs etc). Additionally you want to minimise the amount of stuff inside a volume which is made of worldbrushes; as the compiler has to compute the visibility around each worldbrush. So lots of tiny pillars or whatever will cause a massive slowdown in compile time. Any of that stuff inside a volume which is sealed can usually be safely made into func_details, func_brushes, displacements or other objects which are ignored by vvis.

As for the leaks, you can usually just open the pointfile after each compile to check where the leak is coming from, as there will be a redline drawn from some brush/entity which will eventually snake towards a gap or through a non-sealing brush. Additionally for entities hammer will often tell you which entity starts the first leak resulting in the compile halting i.e. in your above compile log:

"Entity light_spot (-2400.78 -3934.49 1332.57) leaked!"

This means that entity at those coordinates is either outside a sealed volume or can draw a line to a gap in a volume somewhere. You'll have to fix each leak individually, then re-run the compiler (just do bsp only) and re-load the pointfile to find each error systematically.

And I'd reiterate; fix the map. Everyone who maps has learnt this stuff the hard way from some map which has had all manner of weird errors, you have to stick through it and troubleshoot if you ever want to learn.

Also http://www.interlopers.net/errors/ is great for pasting your compile log to check for common errors and what they actually mean, as well as the valve dev wiki.

Rubobin

• just be kind
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone for your kind guidance,

The logs don't show any leaks anymore, therefore I'm glad to say this map is ready to be released after some more optimizing.

~Unu

Rubobin

• just be kind
    • View Profile
Okay,,....

Here I am again, I fixed everything, optimized it, made it less laggy and all that good stuff,..

Now I want to save and it says "File, line 1: Permission Denied."
It wont let me save it, or anything anymore, not even a new map I tried to create..

Any help would be appreciated as google and hammerWiki doesnt give an answer to this error.

~Unu

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
That sounds like an OS error. Maybe try saving it in a different location or on a different drive.