jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

What is a random bhop?

Puunk_ · 7 · 2581

Puunk_

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I've heard of people referring to bhops as random and I don't understand the significance of it. My experience is that bhops are only random if you spam jump, but if you time it then it's not random.

Ladyboog

• Proficient
    • View Profile
    • ladyboog
Bhops only work for specific height units. Sometimes, to get these height units for a bhop, you can use specific strats (ceiling smash, ctap, walkoff, crouch walk, etc). For most bhops, you can't use specific strats, because they just won't achieve that specific "bhop height". The only way to achieve them is by "randomness/luck". Random bhops (99% of bhops) are random because you got that specific height out of luck, without an easy, consistent strat (you got lucky so for example when you stopped walljumping or whatever). Your falling height (the moment in which you don't accelrate either up or down) happened to be exactly a bhop height, so the bhop was still possible, despite

(im pretty tired and bad at explaining this stuff, also I think I was kinda repeating myself at some point but whatever)

Gorge004

• Proficient
    • View Profile
To be able to bhop, you need to land 1 unit above the ground during 1 tick. Most jumps with an intended bhop will have a consistent setup so that ALWAYS happens. For example, jump off the start to bhop, or ceiling smash to bhop, those kind of setups makes it so you always land 1 unit above the ground.

That being said, any floor with a tele height of 1 is bhoable. Sometime, you dont get a starting setup to make it consistent, so you just have to attempt the bhop and hope that you actually land 1 unit above the ground during 1 tick. That's a random bhop.

If you want a more in-depth explanation, the way the game works is there's a "pseudo-ground" 1 unit above every floor in the game. The game checks your position every tick (I believe there are 66 ticks/s). When you're falling ingame, you accelerate, and, for example, when you reach max velocity (3500 units/s), you travel at 52.5 units/tick. Wich means that if you're 51 units above the ground with a teleport on it while falling at max vel during 1 tick, the next tick you'll be technically 1.5 unit under the floor, but since the game stops you at the ground, you just get tele. However, if you're 53.5 units above the ground while falling at max vel, the next tick you'll be 1 unit above the ground and you'd be landing on that pseudo-ground. Since you're technically on the ground, you can jump (bhop) during that tick and avoid the tele.

Ladyboog

• Proficient
    • View Profile
    • ladyboog

generic

• Novice
  • eh?
    • View Profile
I've heard it too. I would like to know it too.

They just explained it though...

You can only bhop if one starts falling from a specific height onto a surface that has 1 unit of teleport above it. An example of a height that is bhop-able is 299 units. So if you are walking and fall 299 units onto a surface with 1 unit of teleport onto it, a bhop is possible. This is 100 percent consistent. As long as you walk off the block, you can always get a bhop off.  A "random" bhop is when you are doing normal rocket jump stuff, and happen to line up with a height that is bhop-able, and then "randomly" get a bhop. So if I happen rocket jump exactly 299 units above a bhop-able surface while not holding crouch, I can bhop that just as well as if I walked off a 299 unit tall platform.

People aren't really paying attention to high they are above a given surface, and even if people did, it isn't feasible to to line up unit perfect heights on the fly with anything even remotely resembling consistently. Thusly, alot of these bhops come completely out of the blue, and are, for all intents and purposes, random.

Exact same concept with random bounces btw, except you happen to be hit by your explosion instead of jumping and get propelled by that. Also, there are many other heights besides 299 that you can bhop on; just using this one for this example.