Welcome B)

Jumpbugs

pants · 22 · 8558

pants

• Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
JUMP BUGS

As a few people might know jumpbugs are an old type of fall damage avoidance trick from source speed-running. The sourceruns wiki has a small page: https://wiki.sourceruns.org/wiki/Jumpbug which details how the trick works.

RNC has also in the past shown this small trick which I admit thought for a while was somewhat bogus because I was following the sourceruns claim that it works for every height (edit: this only applied to older source engine).

In short this is a separate type of 'bounce' technique to avoid teleports.

Examples
RNC's original video
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Small example on jump_deserted_b1. Working on a 2 unit teleport.

How
In short it is a variation on a bhop: Hold crouch in the air, then when at the timing window, release crouch and press jump simultaneously. The result is a hop off the surface resulting in no fall damage, and avoiding small teleport surfaces.

In addition jbugs work for a different set of 'bounceheights' as you are aiming for a 0-2 unit window rather than a 1-2 above the surface. It will work for some crouched or uncrouched bounce heights but not all, it is simply coincidence.

A list of possible heights is provided in the updated bounce height spreadsheet below.

Resources
RNC's plugin similar to bouncealert is great for testing
https://jump.tf/forum/index.php/topic,1263.0.html

Updated bounce spreadsheet listing possible distances for jumpbugs using common starting methods (e.g. jump off, crouch walk etc.)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fDCsUFRbWTHLFqzMT0xAZSFAardarSg6XPrTKt5AXhE/edit?usp=sharing

I haven't comprehensively tested all of these heights but I am fairly sure it should be accurate. Thanks to RNC for some help in getting this working. Also need to update it for the max V heights.

Additional Information and Further Testing
Because for each jbug window there are 2 heights (1 unit away from eachother) if you are targeting the larger number, for example: 128 units (with its 127 unit pair) for a walk off jumpbug strat; then you have twice the chance of hitting a jumpbug. This probably makes jbugs ideal for panic/saves.

Teleheights Current record is 6 units tall teleport. This seems to scale with fall height with higher distances making higher teleports seemingly impossible. However testing seems to indicate that 2 units is always possible; this may be inherent due to the 2 unit window for the trick.

You can't do a powerbounce in the same way as a bhop. However you can do uncrouch + jump + shoot for a smaller rocket jump. Attempting to re-crouch and shoot is far more difficult and there seems to be a small delay before a recrouch is possible; as most testing has shown this to be as powerful as the uncrouch + jump + shoot method.

Many of the heights are also far more likely to allow consecutive jumpbugs, considerably moreso than bhops.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:19:34 AM by pants »

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
the sourceruns claim that it works for every height (it doesnt).

That claim is actually correct for the older versions of the engine where framerate and tickrate were more connected than they are now.

False_

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile

VAVLIE

• Novice
    • View Profile
Holy crap it works. Just did the jump_deserted one. wtf.

Angle jump bug plugin when.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:40:06 AM by VAVLIE »

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile
the sourceruns claim that it works for every height (it doesnt).

That claim is actually correct for the older versions of the engine where framerate and tickrate were more connected than they are now.

Mystery solved. Sent me on a bamboozle though.

• Intermediate
  • bind space hud_reloadscheme
    • View Profile
    • CFG.TF

Scorch

• View Profile
But I'm already proficient with the other 4 engine exploits commonly used in jump maps, I don't want to learn a fifth :(

fishy

Ladyboog

• Proficient
    • View Profile
    • ladyboog

Scorch

• View Profile
Current record is 6 units tall teleport. This seems to scale with fall height with higher distances making higher teleports seemingly impossible.

Is this perhaps for the same reason you can edgebug through any height tele if you have enough falling speed? You go fast enough to fit the timing within 1 tick?

Attempting to re-crouch and shoot is far more difficult and there seems to be a small delay before a recrouch is possible

Same reason ctap isn't necessarily instant and works in the first place?

pants

• Proficient
    • View Profile
Yeah my gut feeling is its the difference between crouched and uncrouched model size which is allowing the player to reach the pseudo ground and leave before it is registered.

RNC1839

• Proficient
    • View Profile
6 units should be the maximum and I'm basing this on no testing at all.

271 is the standard starting jump speed, which when divided by tickrate (66.666) gives 4.065. And because we know* they require the psuedo ground, 6.065 should be the max.

To get up to a 7 unit teleport (assuming everything else I've said so far is correct) you'd need a jump speed of 333.333+ or a tickrate of about 54, neither of which are easy. Gravity also shouldn't affect anything because we only care about the very first tick and gravity shouldn't be important in that situation.

I'm also choosing to ignore that you can do a regular jump without crouching and get 276.013275 u/s because it only gains .0751991 units over a regular jump.

*I'm assuming there's no other stupid engine bug we don't know about yet

Dr. Heinz

• needs to stop posting
  • Relax.
    • View Profile
This jumpbug only works on certain falling speeds, similairs to bounces. But does negating the falldamage also only work on those certain speeds or does it work on all speeds?

Because you can ignore the teleport with bhops only on certain speeds, but if it's a surface without teleport you can always bhop I'm pretty sure? (I'm thinking of bhop market garden kills)

Mac-

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
This jumpbug only works on certain falling speeds, similairs to bounces. But does negating the falldamage also only work on those certain speeds or does it work on all speeds?

You can only jumpbug from bounce heights, because again you are jumping from the pseudo ground. Without a jump bug you take fall damage.