jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Tips on speedrunning/progress in general?

ZwartLiska

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • My YooToob channel
Hi,

I've been around at rocketjumping since about 2014. I've done a lot of maps, a lot of different jumps and made a whole lot of jump videos. I like doing all of that, but I feel like I'm sort of getting stuck or doing something horribly wrong, and I don't feel like I'm making much progress either.

My first T6 map was gateway in 2015, with edgebug following up on that, and recently beat vulc and lion, among about a dozen T5 maps. It proves I can manage to do even really tricky maps (because I'm insanely stubborn and refuse to give up), but I cannot do any of that with any consistency, with that being sort of the topic of this thread, consistency.

I've talked to people and some say that speedrunning is the best way in getting better and more consistent, but it seems I'm just not made for that. Even easier maps I just can't seem to flawless or do them in a reasonably quick time (apart from T1 and 2 or something).
Meanwhile, I see people coming in left and right out of nowhere and flawless T4-T6 maps or do them in an insane time. jump_edgebug took me about 10 hours total to complete, some do it in less than 3 minutes (no pun intended, Sion)). Or take jump_sync. I could in no way do the whole map, but some people do all of it in 15 or so minutes.

So, where exactly am I going wrong? Does speedrunning require a considerable amount of time grinding out maps before being successful? Perhaps it has to do with my settings/setup? Any tips?

maybe this is supposed to be in the help category, but eh

Update: It's worth adding that I always play offline when attempting maps above T4 due to online servers having varying settings and somehow it really changes how I jump even more.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:04:24 PM by ZwartLiska »

fishy

just do it more, nobody is perfect first try all the time

just like learning to jump was all about just jumping more, just speedrun more

Zike

• Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
It takes a really long time to be able to consistently get good times on any map you want. Even some top jumpers can't run some types of maps to get a good time. In my experience, you don't really get good at speedrunning at least starting out. You start with getting good at running specific maps and over time you go from only being able to get a tt or wr on one map to being able to tt or wr most/all maps. Try picking your favorite t3/4 map and just grinding it a bunch until you get a time you're satisfied with. Then do the same for another map and over time the consistency will come. At the end of the day it's literally just the number of hours you have in jump. Almost everyone getting those insane runs either has thousands of hours on the class or hundreds of hours on the map.

scotch

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • View Profile
Nothing really new to add but if you were to complete edgebug again I'm sure you would get less than 10 hours. That's the general principle for speedrunning, you learn specifically how to complete the jumps of that map. If you arent improving you likely need to watch the WR run to steal some strats.

ZwartLiska

• View Profile
    • My YooToob channel
Thanks for the replies.

Try picking your favorite t3/4 map and just grinding it a bunch until you get a time you're satisfied with. Then do the same for another map and over time the consistency will come.
At the end of the day it's literally just the number of hours you have in jump. Almost everyone getting those insane runs either has thousands of hours on the class or hundreds of hours on the map.

I suppose so. Some people do have a towering amount of hours and I'm still sitting here with my 3.3K hours. I also wiped my stats for whatever brilliant reason I was thinking of back then so I have no idea how many hours I invested.
I like playing jump_stretch, perhaps I ought to spend some more time there.

I also honestly think I would have to spend more time playing TF2 in general. Last 2-3 years I haven't played TF2 as much as before, I've noticed my overall skill has dropped considerably, sniping and market gardening too.

Nothing really new to add but if you were to complete edgebug again I'm sure you would get less than 10 hours. That's the general principle for speedrunning, you learn specifically how to complete the jumps of that map. If you arent improving you likely need to watch the WR run to steal some strats.

I'm still a bit embarrassed by the fact that took me so long (gateway, apex, lion 18, soar 16 and torii last same story). The whole map isn't too hard apart from the two jumps with double edgebugs (= double luck) and especially the last. Last alone took me in total 6-7 hours of trying. It's probably because I did every jump as intended.
I also don't really intend to do hard maps again after I've beaten them until I've magically become consistent at them.
But I too am positive that beating/knowing a map helps out. If you've seen some of my videos, probably not, you can sometimes see it's the first time I'm playing the map lol.

I'll find some time to get around speedrunning more. If it's really just doing it more and more, it should come by itself.
Still, if anyone has more things or points of view to add, don't hesitate.

Boshy

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
In my experience consistency isnt something you can grind out fast, you just slowly improve at everything the more you play. Its pretty frustrating because you can spend 50 hours on a map trying to get a good run and then demolish your time a year later just by playing it once. However there is a small tip for being more consistent which is to take the safest route or try to find the easiest way to do the jump, its usually slower to do so but it really helps with consistency on harder maps.

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Bruh I'm garbage but I can beat maps a lot faster the second time through no matter what map it is

don't get discouraged and gl