jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

EU Server Database Issues Cause Joinlag - Bring it back up?

m712 · 2 · 1163

m712

• Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hope I opened this in the right place.

I talked with Moose on the Hightower TDM server about this. He told me that the server hosting the DB for the player statuses (donors, mods, banned, etc.) is down, causes a lot of lag when new people join because as a fallback the EU servers use the US database, which is 150ms away, causing 150ms lags per joining user. This is especially noticable on the Easy + Medium Soldier servers since it has much more traffic.

I'm assuming the DB was hosted on a VPS. There are some good price/performance servers here:
https://www.budgetvm.com/ssd-vps.php

Is there another reason for this downtime?

AI

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • Plugins Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jump Academy
> Jump Academy

The uptime issue for the EU database node is not caused by server performance but by desynchronization from the rest of the cluster.  I have yet to automate the detection and automatic restart of disconnected nodes that failed to resynchronize with the cluster.

The join lag is caused by the clientprefs extension.  Not only does it appear to not properly thread its queries, but it also absolutely shits itself when it loses connection to the remote database.  I'll have to migrate our clientprefs setup back to using local sqlite and set up a way to synchronize the settings across servers after I finish work for the Tip of the Hats event this weekend.

In the meantime, you will just have to notify me on Discord when it happens and I'll restart the corresponding database node manually.